Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Portable Trail GPS - Looking at Garmin 450t - Others?  (Read 6187 times)

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
Portable Trail GPS - Looking at Garmin 450t - Others?
« on: March 01, 2011, 01:29:58 PM »
Ok so after some research I have determined that I cannot update my on board GPS in my JK to accommodate many of the things that I would like it too do, backroads maps, tracking, 3D topo etc.  So it appears as thought I am going to be getting a GPS which is not a huge deal as I had wanted one that would accommodate a few other things as well such as on water navigation, geocaching, hiking, biking etc.

With this in mind I have pretty much decided that I will be going with the Garmin 450t I think it provides the best overall range for what I want that being it is

portable (will work in jeep, boat, bike, backpack)
reliable
many downloadable maps track sharing capability
3D topo maps
Waterproof

So before going ahead I am sure many of you have used multiple handheld GPS units over the years but my experience has been limited to onbaord road GPS units. 

What other things should I be thinking of and maybe a couple of comparable units that you all have experience with.

I searched GPS but it seems that most of the topics are from 2 or 3 years ago making the technology recommendations somewhat out of date.
2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
Re: Portable Trail GPS - Looking at Garmin 450t - Others?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 02:06:10 PM »
Garmin 60 cs/csx series are popular with us. 
04 TJ Rubi

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 02:39:28 PM »
Go with a tablet and then you can down load unlimited amounts of maps and have a larger screen as well.

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 02:46:14 PM »
The Garmin 60 series was a very popular series, but they are a bit dated now in the GPS world.  The Oregon models are the newest bunch and from what I can see have everything the 60's had and then some.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=143&compareProduct=63350&compareProduct=310

I haven't used either of them personally so I can't speak from experience.  I just do product comparisons all the time for work and the Oregon models are something had I had to look at recently.  The two biggest features I would think that would be a benefit are the preloaded topo maps (so you don't have to go buy them) and the custom map compatibility http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/onthetrail/custommaps#fragment-1.

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 04:39:05 PM »
The Garmin 60 series was a very popular series, but they are a bit dated now in the GPS world.  The Oregon models are the newest bunch and from what I can see have everything the 60's had and then some.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=143&compareProduct=63350&compareProduct=310

I haven't used either of them personally so I can't speak from experience.  I just do product comparisons all the time for work and the Oregon models are something had I had to look at recently.  The two biggest features I would think that would be a benefit are the preloaded topo maps (so you don't have to go buy them) and the custom map compatibility http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/onthetrail/custommaps#fragment-1.

Sweet, could overlay the PDF file for Waiperous and MacLean and create the map from there.

Another plus for the 450T
2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 09:41:06 PM »
Garmin 60 cs/csx series are popular with us. 
this is what all the dirtbike riders use. i like mine.
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 10:05:05 PM »
this is what all the dirtbike riders use. i like mine.

So in comparing the 60 csx to the 450t there are a few notable differences mostly due to the 450t being newer but also a little more spendy.

The 450 has a slightly larger screen with a higher resolution.

The 450 has 850mb internal memory and micro sd card slot whereas the 60 csx only goes micro  sd ( mind you a 64mb card is included)

The 60csx has no preloaded maps whereas the 450 has preloaded topo maps

Tilt axis 3d compass vs straight 2d comes in the 60

Generally more storage capacity (tracks and routes)

Customizable maps and full textured 3d topo.

It is about $100 more than the 60 but if you factor in the topo map as standard vs having to buy for the 60 the difference is closer to 50.

The 60 was a perfect reference point as I was initially comparing to road GPS units as that was all I knew.

Still thinking of going with the 450t I do like a few of the extra bells and whistles as well it has a little more online connectivity plus a ton of mountain biking stuff as well.

Now to find a reasonable price for one :)

2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 10:25:33 PM »
i am not GPS savvy but i know that the guys that are do download to their laptops onto topo maps.
i bought the sd versions of backroads maps. i would think that dirtbikers would have way more info stored for any given area due to speed and distance traveled as well as more trails open to them. They all love it and i know SRD works everything off that unit.
You do get a North america map for driving and the USA topo map is very good that comes with it. (ie Moab)

But for $100, if it does the same and more, i would go for it as well. Again, i am not GPS savvy and just make sure it aligns with SRD.

GPScity and GPScentral are the cheapest places to buy in North America and they both happen to be in Calgary. i did buy mine from Costco on line because it was on special.

Tk

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 10:43:24 PM »
It also looks like the 45-t is $460 +tax
the 60CS is $230+tax

Offline snodawg

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 01:08:44 AM »
I love my Garmin 60CSX, very rugged, multi-purpose with attatchments available to mount on anything.
81 CJ7, 302 EFI,NP435,6" lift, lockers, let's go exploring...

Offline JohnB

• Budget Lift
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 01:46:21 PM »
Yes, the Oregon 450 or 450t makes sense and is probably the best choice for a handheld atm the moment.  I would suggest the 450 and use the free topo maps.  The free (Ibycus) maps are better than the Garmin ones.

I would suggest though getting a widescreen Nuvi for the Jeep as well...  They only cost $100 and the extra size makes a big differene.  Plus you can use it day to day.  It will take trail and topo maps without problem.

A 60csx is horrible in comparison.  The little screen and old software are not that great.  If you like buttons, then get the newer 62 series.  You mention Geocaching, so you want a modern unit that works properly with it as well.