Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: HID kits..  (Read 2014 times)

Offline IgniteTJ

• Budget Lift
HID kits..
« on: April 08, 2011, 12:56:24 PM »
Hey all, so I'm looking to find 2 decent HID kits and I don't know much about them or what brand to even go with.. I need a kit for H9 bulbs and one just for some 9005 bulbs
1998 Dodge Ram Reg Cab Short Box, lift and 35's going on it over the winter along with 4:10's

Offline Raspberry

• Budget Lift
  • Do what you love, the rest will follow.
Re: HID kits..
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 01:21:41 PM »
www.danielsternlighting.com

Read, soak in, understand :)
He also sells bulbs and such.
DECEASED - 'Big Ben' (black '97 XJ) : ~9" lift - 35's - Ford 9" - 4.56 gears - armoured up - ...and a sound system that can annoy the hell out of Lemon-aid Jay!!
NEXT - Dark green '98 XJ to build up....

Offline parabs

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 09:14:32 PM »
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/h-i-d-s-my-tj-wow-842999/

before and after on a TJ, and 90 pages of subsequent replies.
2000 TJ Sahara - Sold
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Bassani Exhaust
2007 Harley Davidson F150 - Nothing to note.

Offline yyc_tbird_sc

• Budget Lift
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 09:50:23 PM »
FYI.....you are asking for the police to pull you over with HIDs on your rig. If they didn't come stock, then they're illegal. No one makes a DOT HID kit for any vehicle, this is because you can't go changing the style of light (incandescent - HID) on a vehicle. The police are starting to crack down, and I know a few of the traffic guys have started impounding for them. If you have anything else that may be questionable on your rig (ie mudflaps, fenders, etc), then I wouldn't suggest it as you're asking for them to look at you a whole lot more.

The light output from an HID bulb is completely different than that of a regular bulb. When a retrofit HID bulb is put into a standard housing, the light is not reflected the same way. A proper housing is needed for HID bulbs otherwise all that happens is that you have light going everywhere. This is often mistaken for having a better bulb as you can "see alot more" or "the road is lit up better".

I know that there are all types of "offroad use only" items out on the market, but there are alot of places that are selling HID retrofit kits and downplaying how illegal they are. I am not innocent when it comes to using an "offroad use only" item on a vehicle I've owned, but these kits blind oncoming drivers and pose a big safety risk.

Sorry....just my .02. I'm jumping off my soapbox.
-'97 Ranger w/ 4" lift, 33" MTZ's, 4.56's, and some new sheet metal
-'89 Thunderbird SC - 285HP, 392ft/lbs [email protected]

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 08:49:32 AM »
If you want brighter lights then.
    Upgrade your wiring harness to 10 or 12 gauge wire with new 30 amp relays. One relay for high beam and one for low beam.
    Go to the higher wattage bulbs.
Try ed all of the bubs and conversion listed in the link in the second post and stern is right The fat boyz, hyper white , hid bulbs all say brighter but when the rubber meets the road you can not see farther down the road at night then with out the upgraded wiring harness and higher output bulbs. Those aftermarket bulbs that say 55 w = 85 w are false advertising . All they are are bulbs with filters on them that project a whiter light not a brighter light. The reliability of those aftermarket lights make it a safety concern as well as if you are driving on the highway at night the bulbs will fail with out notice leaving you stranded on the highway with out head lights. Ask me how I know.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 04:12:22 PM »
As others have said, if you want brighter lights then upgrade your halogens.

#1. Heavy wiring harness and relays

#2. Good quality H4 bulbs 55 watts is just fine. Anything more than that really shouldn't be used on-road.

#3. Replace your original headlights (the reflectors and lenses) with E-code Hella or Cibies

Do those three things, and you'll be happy with your lighting.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(