Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Re-building my Jeep with a Salvaged Title Questions!  (Read 1741 times)

Offline 03Jeeper

• Budget Lift
Re-building my Jeep with a Salvaged Title Questions!
« on: April 29, 2011, 05:50:26 PM »
Hey everyone,

As some of you know, I got into a wreck a couple months back. My jeep was written off. It is a salvaged title(I got the letter saying its Salvaged, should I check to make sure?), and I bought the Jeep back.
My plan first was to part it out but now I have changed my mind and started a project for myself.

So my plan is to rebuild the jeep, time and money isn't a concern. I will be building it up slowly and putting aftermarket parts on it.
But before I start dumping a whole bunch of my time and money, I want to know what I have to do.

The damage to the jeep:
- Frame was damaged beyond repair. I got another frame already. Got the VIN number of the donor, No title.
- Drivers side fender was destroyed.
- Grill smashed
- Both Drivers and Passenger Airbag went off. This is where my question comes in, am I able to repair the Jeep even if the bags went off? I have found some here and there on ebay. But am I able to replace them without problems later on down the road?

I read up on the Alberta laws about Re-insuring a salvaged vehicle.
I have to take 4 pictures before and during the process. I have to state what all the work I am doing. Also, I believe that for major components like frame, airbags etc, I need to get the VIN of the donor vehicle and invoice number.

Also, it needs to built back to factory specs. Does this mean I can't go get it re-inspected with aftermarket fenders, which would be legal, etc. Should I make it pretty much bone stock?

Sorry for the big post, just been reading on a lot of information, and it just seems like a nightmare going through this. I really want to re-build the jeep, but I just want to make sure its possible before I re-build the damn thing.  :P

Thanks for the replies.

Offline fug

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Airdrie Pick n Pull
Re: Re-building my Jeep with a Salvaged Title Questions!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 06:05:38 PM »
If you want my advice... I'd say get a jeep with a title... and 'build' that.   You could look for something cheap with a blown motor or tranny and just build it with the parts from yours.  It's less hassle... no inspection and no salvage title when you sell it.
Fug
TJ Rubicon

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 07:30:10 PM »
i would find a shop that does these inspections and ask them what they need. the laws may say one thing, but the shop may only care about minor things and as long as its safe and straight.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline esi

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 08:26:13 PM »
You might have to remove the lift if the inspection place is picky. The vehicle has to be returned to an original condition, same as vehicles coming out of the states.  A junker without a salvage title may be a good option.
Formerly of Boots & Boost Inc
Back farming and fabricating again.

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 09:48:08 PM »
Jeep has to be in original condition as it left the factory. All options have to work. Part of salvage inspection is on a frame machine to check if frame and body specs are acceptable. A lift would put everything out. You might be able to find someone who does the inspection with all the planned mods. You need lots of before and after pictures of everything you replace or fix. It is a lot of extra work to get the rebuild status changed and then start modifying it. And then the resale value of the jeep could be several thousand dollars lower by having a rebuild tag versus an active tag at the registries.