Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Glad I found this site!!!!  (Read 7144 times)

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
Glad I found this site!!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2006, 02:50:11 PM »

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
Tj vs Full Size
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2006, 09:55:14 PM »
Yes Dom, your new build in the Cherokee is sweet but you still can not put the top down on the first warm day this month. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Super Winch, 33" MT, 2 1/2" lift , CB, Flat Fender
http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/george-jungle.html

Offline NUXJR

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2006, 10:14:58 PM »
Welcome to the adventure :!:   Your fun has only JUST begun :!:  :wink:  :!:

I started out thinking of only 'mild' wheeling but after just one trip came home wanting more.  The first stage of my 'build' was a 3.5" RE kit but that was a mistake 'cause that soon turned into a 6" set up(33" TRXUS MTs) with a random assortment of components.  All things considered it works quite well but have a list of fine tuning to address(it never stops).

I have a few people I have met through this site to thank for sharing their wisdom(& help).  I'm sure that some of them will chime in to this thread very soon 8) .

BTW with 6" lift & 33" tires I still drive mine every day :wink:

What part of town you in :?:

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2006, 06:20:07 AM »
Quote from: "NUXJR"
BTW with 6" lift & 33" tires I still drive mine every day :wink:

I agree with Rob ...It is an excellent set up for an XJ.

Me too. ... I have now 6" lift & run 33" 12.5" Trxus. I drive it to work every day.

Blair .... Can you sleep in the back of your sun tanning machine? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I can sleep in the back of my XJ!!!  8)

Offline fug

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Airdrie Pick n Pull
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2006, 11:31:08 AM »
My TJ gets me home every time... so no need to sleep in the back. hahaha.  8)

Have to agree with everyone who's saying this is only just the beginning... I've gone from stock ride on 31's  to a 4" RE short arm kit on 33's to a 5.5" RELA kit with ARB's front and rear in just under 2 years (OK the long arm's not installed yet but it will be soon!).   In hindsight I should have been a bit more patient so I could build what I really wanted first time out rather than buying parts I can no longer use.

Robin
Fug
TJ Rubicon

henry

Jeep
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2006, 10:17:35 PM »
In my opinion, the FIRST thing you do when you want to modify your Jeep for wheeling (even if it is your daily driver) is buy another car to drive to work, and not use your Jeep daily.  

It can be difficult or stressful if your Jeep is wounded from a day of wheeling and you can't/didn't quite have time to fix it yet.  It also makes life easier when you are in the process of modifying your Jeep, installing lifts, lockers etc. so you don't have to rush through the installs so you can get your Jeep to work the next day.  I hope this makes sense, also a new VISA or line of credit with a VERY large spending limit helps too.  You will need it.

Welcome to the sport.

ps. I agree with Dom about the XJ/MJ Jeeps :!:  :lol:

Darren 8)

5T3V3H3W5

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2006, 01:02:22 PM »
Ok, after reading all the replys and doing my own research I have finally made up my mind as to what I am going to do.

I am going to go with a 6.5" lift kit by Rough Country and 33" or 35" tires.
I decided on Rough Country because it is a complete kit with shocks and its the same price as a 4.5" lift by Rubicon with out shocks.
Now I am "on the fence" as to which size tire because it is a daily driver.
I really like the idea of 35's but Rough Country recommencs running 33's even though 35's will work. I sent them an email asking why they recommend 33's but have yet to hear from them.

Now I just have to find a reliable shop or person to install the kit when I get it. I dont have the tools or experience to do it myself.
Oh, and I have to get the XJ as well!   LOL.

If everything goes as planned with minimal delays I should be up and running by mid July.

I see what you guys mean by it starts out small and gets big! There is so much more that I will need to do than just raisng it and putting tires on but hey, its a start.

Thanks for all the support guys and hope to meet some of you oneday.
Any more advice would be greatly appreciated.

www.roughcountry.com

Steve Hews