Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Glad I found this site!!!!  (Read 7138 times)

5T3V3H3W5

Glad I found this site!!!!
« on: March 30, 2006, 08:41:33 PM »
Hello Guy's N Gal's!

I'm thinking of buying a Jeep for 4x4ing. I notice that most pictures show Yj's and Tj's....I'm not a big fan of those types of Jeep. I like the Cherokees. Will I be "left behind" in 1 of these or will I be fine?
What are the pros and cons of like a 1995 Cherokee compared to a Rubicon or something? Also how much of a lift would be suitable for the Cherokee?
I'm new to this so ALL the info I can get will be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks so much all!!!
Steve.

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 08:33:04 AM »
There a few guys here that are into cherokees. They can be built to wheel just as good as any other jeep.

5-6 inch lifts are probably the most common on cherokees.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline TJ54

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/tj54jeep
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 10:14:37 AM »
in my opinion the best thing about TJ's are that you can take the top off, the best thing about cherokees are the added passenger and storage room. Either of them can be built into awesome trail rigs for similar costs.
I picked the TJ.

You are going to have to explain "5T3V3H3W5" I'm sure i am not the only one puzzling over it.

Welcome to the Forum,
seeya on the trails
Ian
I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 10:43:46 AM »
think his name is STEVE HEWS  :lol:
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline Joel

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Super Uber Web Wheeler
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 10:55:26 AM »
Quote from: "TJ54"
You are going to have to explain "5T3V3H3W5" I'm sure i am not the only one puzzling over it.Ian

Ian, Stop that your thinking too much.
03 TJ - 6" body lift and 31 MTR's, other wise stock.

5T3V3H3W5

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 11:33:44 AM »
LOL!
And the 1st place prize goes to FiEND!!!!
5T3V3H3W5 is actually STEVE HEWS. I play alot of online poker so I decided to use 5T3V3H3W5 as an online name....It's never taken!!

I went to Modern 4X4 today and spoke with a guy there and he says that because I am going to be driving the Cherokee every day that I should stick with a 3.5 inch lift rather than something higher. The kit he recommended was the Rubicon RE8003 Super-flex. Now this kit has no shocks, what shock should I go with? And what do you guys think of the Rubicon kits?

Again thanks for the input as I am totaly green at this right now but hey, we all start somewhere!

Steve   AKA 5T3V3H3W5

Offline apex

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 05:12:35 PM »
Nice U&3RL337 H@X3R Skilz

whatever you do, don't rush into it. Someone you might think is a pro might tell you to go with 3.5". Someone else at a different store might tell you to you 7 inch. It is all relative!!! KEEP THAT IN MIND.

What size tire do you want/need? Do the wheels have the right backspacing? Are you willing to regear? What about a  slip yoke eliminator rear driveshaft? Does the kit include steering correction/pitman? Track bar/t-case drop kits? Sway bar links?

All this S|-|iT you need to ask yourself before you buy a lift. These are questions no one asked me before I started down a slippery slope. I wish I knew a lot more before I started. I wouldn't have bought the kit I did if I had known better.

Offline RedDog

• Budget Lift
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 07:10:54 PM »
Here's a couple with a Cherokee who really get around.

http://www.xxxpedition.com/
I'd rather be dragging a club than clubbing in drag
05 TJ mildly enhanced • 08 Buell XB12XT • 08 Santa Cruz Superlight

buckshot

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 10:52:12 PM »
rubicon express are good lifts don't think you would go wrong there
I like rancho 9000 shocks a little more money but you can adjust them so for daily driver you can have more option
just my opinion
the other thing if your new to the sport is remember opinions are like arse holes everyone has one. Do your research and figure out what will best suit your needs and price range.

FeatherFoot

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2006, 12:27:47 AM »
This is as good a place as any to go over some of the issues of getting into the sport.

A very key point made here is that you want to have a reasonably clear idea of where you want to go with this.  The specifics of a lift comes after a few significant decisions are made.

Two opinions were expressed above which may appear to be in conflict.  Both are based on experience and are correct.

All this S|-|iT you need to ask yourself before you buy a lift. These are questions no one asked me before I started down a slippery slope. I wish I knew a lot more before I started. I wouldn't have bought the kit I did if I had known better.

I went to Modern 4X4 today and spoke with a guy there and he says that because I am going to be driving the Cherokee every day that I should stick with a 3.5 inch lift rather than something higher.

Most of us have found out at some point in the process, there is a basic  line you can't cross without a domino effect in upgrading, so having a reasonably good idea of where you are going can save a lot of wasted time and money.

Likely the rep at Modern keyed on your daily driver statement and determind you would not venture into the next realm, or at least for some time.

The basic engineering of the driveline and suspension will tolerate a certain amount of modification with out serious ramifications.

One aspect of "the next step" is the type of terrain you're likely going to be spending your time in, but for the most part technically, it begins with tires and works it's way through the suspension and driveline.  The most visible part of the build is the lift, but modifications to the driveline are essential once you take the next step and to work properly all the pieces of the build must compliment one another.  This is where it becomes a commitment in time money and machine.

And above all the technical garble and logic, don't underestimate the peer pressure that transpires when all your trail buds show up bigger, wider and stronger.  

So where is the line between the "reasonable daily driver" end and the planned offroad build come?

Many have done very well with some good offroad 31's, minor lift, a winch and recovery items. :)    

Typically 33's or more change your life. :wink:

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2006, 09:47:03 AM »
Talk to Cablesmurf, he is the king of cherokee builds. He is on this site, just pm him.

You know you want 35's........ :twisted:
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline ramtuff

• Budget Lift
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2006, 02:05:20 PM »
wanna talk cherokee? Lots of cherokees here

http://www.jeepin.com/

click on "message board"
Killer Off Road Equipment

Jaguar

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2006, 03:03:26 PM »
I have always been a fan of starting small and building your way up. Maybe a spacer list and a little bigger tire. simple,cheap, and you don't have to re-gear. Wheel a bit, and if you find you love it and need a more capable rig, then upgrade. Sell the spacers and tires whenyou upgrade to offset the cost, and GO! :)

But it's like everyone else said. figure out what you need first before diving into it. You'll end up saving money down the road knowing exactly what you want.

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2006, 03:18:12 PM »
I can certainly say that with my XJ I don't get left behind! Uusally the opposite.

Before I went REALLY big I ran a 4.5" lift with 31" tires, 4.10s gears and a rear locker. I very rarely had trouble keeping up. When I did well that was what the winch was for. Untill the locker went in it was still a DD. The locker with a manual tranny was bit annoying on the street, however once I converted the XJ to an automatic the locker handling greatly improved.

If you have a large budget buy an XJ, do a 4.5" lift with all the pieces,SYE, control arms, dropped pitman arm, upgraded tracbar,sway bar discos, regear to 4.10s with ARBs and run 32X11.5 tires. You will be more capable than most with a rig like this. and still be a pleasure to drive.

If you are more on budget then buy an automatic(lower gears so no need to regear, also more locker friendly), a 3.5" lift with control arms, sway bar discos and trac bar, a t-case drop and a rear lunch box locker. Run 31X10.5 tires. Unless you are REALLY stupid with the gas pedal you will have a very reliable trail rig that will also be almost as good on the street as it was stock.

You can also check
www.naxja.org for more info.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Luxton

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2006, 10:28:49 AM »
Quote from: "cLAY"
If you are more on budget then buy an automatic(lower gears so no need to regear, also more locker friendly), a 3.5" lift with control arms, sway bar discos and trac bar, a t-case drop and a rear lunch box locker. Run 31X10.5 tires. Unless you are REALLY stupid with the gas pedal you will have a very reliable trail rig that will also be almost as good on the street as it was stock.

damn, you just described my jeep to a tee :)  'cept it's manual instead of auto... :D   just can't wait to get that d44 in there with the posi!