Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: XJ/TJ Inverted Y replacement  (Read 2979 times)

Offline Tyn Pow

• Budget Lift
XJ/TJ Inverted Y replacement
« on: June 08, 2011, 11:14:57 PM »
Still running the stock inverted Y on my station wagon and am hating more every wheel.....every stop I get out and make sure it's still all there ::)

Have seen the kits available and some look decent but I'm not opposed to building my own.....my preference is drag link to top of knuckle with a tie rod under the knuckles and provisions for hyrdo assist

Every wagon I see has upgraded steering linkages, so what are your opinions?

Appreciate the feedback

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
Re: XJ/TJ Inverted Y replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 11:30:03 PM »
I ike my inverted T setup from rugged ridge, but thats only since Ive gotten used to its behavior.  If I was to do it again, Id get the currie inverted Y. Beefier setup but in the original configuration. The T has a bit of a dead spot that I got used to, but it scares the pants of anyone else that drives the Jeep. Would be sweet to go OTK but thats a lot more work than what im willing to put into a D30
I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 08:20:15 AM »
Currie is the stongest solution with good behavior and relatively affordable.

There will be a bracketry and ram kit available in the next month that will allow you to bolt in hydro assist with the currie kit.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline .:.Dingman.:.

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 09:39:24 AM »
with the rugged ridge you can fix the dead spot by getting a bushing for the tie rod end that connects the drag link to the tie rod. it will prevent the tie rod end on the drag link from rotating too much while you turn the wheel.
 it's pretty decent for the price I ordered the bushings from jcr offroad but rumor has it you can use  the upper bushing of a front shock.

Dingman

Offline Tyn Pow

• Budget Lift
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 11:26:28 PM »
Cool, thanks guys

Offline jpthing

• UberWheeler
  • I like things with wheels.
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 08:28:46 PM »
I would reccomend to AVOID the ORO (off road only) u-turn steering system.

It looks awesome and is super beefy but it does not have the correct ackerman geometry which results in tire scrubbing, especuially  in sharp turns, and it also encourages the jeep to "push" when trying to steer in mud. also has a tendency for the drag link to wobble which makes the steering vague and wears out the lower drag link TRE.
 :o
'97 TJ, 5" lift, 35's "Sprout"
'95 Xj, 4" lift, 33's Sold to the Bagman
'10 JK unlimited

"Whether you think you can or think you can't...you're right."
-Henry Ford

I'm finally over the Jeep bike debacle..