Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: 03 rubi locker problem* please help*  (Read 1905 times)

Offline che

• Winch Wench
03 rubi locker problem* please help*
« on: July 15, 2011, 07:26:34 AM »
Hey guys, I'm at a lost with my front air locker. I just bought the jeep and when I got it stuck I noticed the front lockers weren't working. Having minimum "locker" knowledge I've tried to locate the problem. Abviously I have gotten nowhere with this. So here's what I know: 1 of the airlines( the smaller one) was torn off at the front diff. So I repaired it and put it back on and nothing! So I then took the skid plate off under the transfer case to access the air pumps and notice the hose( again the small one ) wasn't on. So I connected it and again..... Nothing! I noticed the front diff. pump wasn't  making any noise. I tried hooking up the rear air pump to the front diff. And then the rear diff pump stopped working. So now I have no idea and the jeep is in parts on my driveway. Heres the issue: the front locker light just flashes and I believe the air pump isn't working. So my question is: will some please give me some knowledge on how to fix or diagnose this please ; other than my way off just taking a bigger hammer to it :) I was also thinking of splicing the rear air line to the front?? Any help at all would be appreciated. I really want to take it out tomorrow( with the lockers working) thanks!
2010 wrangler Sahara
2012 mustang 5.0
99 Cherokee xj

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
Re: 03 rubi locker problem* please help*
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 08:12:03 AM »
You don't need the front locker to get out wheeling and have fun.  Front lockers just get you into more trouble  ;D

'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline che

• Winch Wench
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 08:28:09 AM »
So true.... I just like that sense of security
2010 wrangler Sahara
2012 mustang 5.0
99 Cherokee xj

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 09:04:18 AM »
So true.... I just like that sense of security

Honestly, lockers are a tool and not a "get out of jail free" card.  There is a time and a place to use them.  They require the tires to be in contact with ground.  It does not matter if you have lockers or not, if you are hi-centered, you are still screwed. 

A good experienced driver with no lockers can easily keep up and go further than an inexperienced driver with lockers.  If you can learn to driver offroad without your lockers first, you will be a way better driver
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline che

• Winch Wench
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 09:11:03 AM »
Right.... With that being said. I have another jeep with out lockers. I personally bought the rubicon for the lockers.... There not a get out jail for free card ... But they are handy tool. With all this being said I'm assuming you don't have lockers?
2010 wrangler Sahara
2012 mustang 5.0
99 Cherokee xj

Offline Evil-Jeep

• UberWheeler
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 09:34:36 AM »
Make sure your front air pump is truly not working and if it doesn't work replace it re connect the lines properly. Don't splice your air lines.
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

Offline che

• Winch Wench
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 09:55:08 AM »
Thanks, do you know any way to test it? All I know is the I checked the fuse and that's fine. When I turn the front locker switch on I can't  hear the pump making any noise at all
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 01:03:04 PM by che »
2010 wrangler Sahara
2012 mustang 5.0
99 Cherokee xj

Offline after6queers

• BANNED
  • Budget Lift
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 10:04:04 AM »
Comments removed
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 11:12:39 AM by specialk »
2001 Jeep TJ - 4" Lift 35's MTZ Chanda made bumpers, fenders and sliders...still working on her!!!

Offline che

• Winch Wench
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 10:17:51 AM »
If everyone used google instead of a local forum where would the support come from. I'm here to support and hopefully aide in helping everyone learn to solve problems with their jeeps. This is a network of help! Please respond only if you want to embarrass yourself again by saying something stupid!  :o
2010 wrangler Sahara
2012 mustang 5.0
99 Cherokee xj

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 10:20:54 AM »
Scott, i like my lockers when a tire is OFF the ground...... flick the switch and jeep goes forward ;) instead of tire off the ground spinning.   or does your YJ have so much flex you don't lift tires ;)

pull the airline off the diff end. engage the locker.  do you feel it pushing air?  no? or yes?

no?  check the line for holes. check the pump itself to see if its pushing air.  no on both accounts maybe the pump?

yes you can feel it pushing air? reconnect it, make sure its not leaking at the housing.

after that i don't know; not sure how a rubi locker works compared to an ARB.  do they have release solenoids?  i'd check those too. (i have no clue on that, going on my ARBs)  

check the easy stuff first that are not in the differential.  i don't know if you have the same setup as an ARB where mine blows seals all the time.  but thats a good place to start with the lines and pump. cheap and easy. if its in the locker itself not good!

hope you find it and its an easy fix.  i'd be fumed off if i bought a jeep specifically for the lockers only to have them not work.  otherwise i'd wheel a cherokee. a red cherokee. with a drop kit.... on 31s ;)
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline che

• Winch Wench
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 10:35:27 AM »
Thanks, ok so I did check if there was air coming from and there's was none. Also the pump is not making any sound at all. Which makes me believe that the pump is shot. Someone told me it could be the switch which is throwing some confusion my way. Could it be the switch?
2010 wrangler Sahara
2012 mustang 5.0
99 Cherokee xj

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 10:36:35 AM »
If you have no noise when pressing the switch, make sure the switch is working. They are known to fail.

If you have one pump cycling, but not the other, then the one pump is probably bad.

You basically just have to eliminate one thing at a time.

Regardless of what you do, make sure you done use the dash lights for any diagnostic indicators. They are very unreliable, and the wires that send that signal are not even required for the locker to function mechanically.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 10:38:23 AM »
I would suggest either seraching, or posting over on rubiconownersforum.com

They have all the factory wiring diagrams for those pumps and switches, and they also have a lot of threads on this exact topic. You will get more specialized help over there.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline che

• Winch Wench
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 10:58:26 AM »
Perfect! Thank you. I now am 99% positive it's the pump. So now, does anyone know where I can get one ?
2010 wrangler Sahara
2012 mustang 5.0
99 Cherokee xj

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 12:03:01 PM »
Honestly, lockers are a tool and not a "get out of jail free" card.  There is a time and a place to use them.  They require the tires to be in contact with ground.  It does not matter if you have lockers or not, if you are hi-centered, you are still screwed. 

A good experienced driver with no lockers can easily keep up and go further than an inexperienced driver with lockers.  If you can learn to driver offroad without your lockers first, you will be a way better driver

You seem to have a 'hard on' against lockers?
Lockers are great. i have wheeled both ways and with lockers i created much less stress on all my components. i bet if my first TJ was locked, i never would have gernaded the motor.
Nothing wrong with lockers.
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.