Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: What's my best trail rig?  (Read 3409 times)

Offline WK2008

• UberWheeler
What's my best trail rig?
« on: September 11, 2011, 05:43:38 PM »
So after towing the trailer last week with the WK, I have decided to use this as my tow rig for the time being. It handled the 5000 lbs well enough to do the towing job on a small RV for the next few years. I am going to get a set of stock 17" tires to run when towing so I can get my gear ratio back and that should help the cause.

In light of this decision, I will not be wheeling the WK anymore and will be looking to buy or build a dedicated trail rig. After watching lots of guys wheel this past year I have seen the strengths and weaknesses of different models and I think a TJ or LJ is my best bet. I am thinking 33s or 35s max and want to have selectable lockers. Am I better to spring for a rubicon up to 06 or buy a regular TJ and install lockers and re-gear? If I buy a rubi I would still re-gear as with 35s I will be lagging for sure. I just don't know if the stock rubi lockers will hold up to the abuse of 35s. Your input is greatly appreciated and my budget is about 12 to 15 k. Thanks

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
Re: What's my best trail rig?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 05:57:53 PM »
if you plan on trailering it everywhere a stock rubi on 35 will be perfectly fine .. as for the lockers i have had no issues at all with the stock lockers and 35's .

as for lacking power if you in 4low youll never be lacking any power ..

04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline WK2008

• UberWheeler
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 06:54:22 PM »
Thanks Jeff. I should clarify that I won't be trailering my Trail rig but I will be using the WK to tow an RV. I want to be able to drive the trail rig to and from the trail without being underpowered in high range

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 09:21:21 PM »
http://forum.calgaryjeep.com/index.php?topic=23263.0

this is what you need. done. Mike is a good guy selling a good jeep.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline WK2008

• UberWheeler
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 09:58:36 PM »

Yeah buddy I've been eyeing that one all day. I just want to know how bad the front damage was and i will have to have Jay check it out. I'm sure its a good rig I just need to think about that color lol

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 10:00:56 PM »
i ran my jeep with 35's and 4.10's for a few months didnt mind it .. but it is my daily driver so now its on 5.13's and well its much more powerful and drives amazing .. lockers still work perfectly . and going to and from the trails is never a issues ..

if your trail rig is only going to be trail rig and a couple of sunday drives here and there i wouldnt think anything else but a stock rubi . 35's  4 inchs of lift and youll have a killer little trail rig that can be driven on the street and have good manors still
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline yellowjeep101

• Budget Lift
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 03:10:24 AM »
Hey John, I'm the guy with the yellow tj, the tj is a good trail rig, but you should look for a rubicon, mine is just a sport with the dana 30 35 combo and it shows its limits with how I wheel it, which you might have noticed I don't wheel it too hard. If I were to buy a jeep as a dedicated trail rig, I would have started out with a rubi. Just a suggestion.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 06:53:44 AM »
35's and 4.10's is workable if you've got a manual transmission.

35's on TJ Rubicon axles is just fine as long as you don't start getting stupid with the skinny pedal. Rubi03Jef and Specialk have been wheeling TJ Rubicon axles with 35's for a while.

Another thing to consider is that 33's will work fine for most stuff around here. There's an LJ in Edmonton for sale right now, listed on this board. He's already got it nicely built on 33" Duratracs, with selectable lockers front and rear.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 06:55:20 AM by w squared »
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline NUXJR

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 09:11:57 AM »

Seriously consider this one if you can.  I've known Mike a long time....worth checking out for sure ;D.