Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: New (hopefully) future member, new rig  (Read 9426 times)

Offline BlackAura

• Budget Lift
  • 2003 TJ Rubicon (Stock)
Re: New (hopefully) future member, new rig
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2011, 05:06:09 PM »
Late to the show but figured I should chip in anyways!

I picked up my 2003 Rubicon in July 2010, and while I haven't made it out to any events yet this year ( :'( ), it was amazing last year! 

I'm still relatively new to the sport, but I'm sure you'll be very happy with how it performs.  I haven't felt like there are any upgrades that I have to make to do the open events, and there have only been a couple member events I couldn't do because of vehicle limitations (mainly because I'm still running 31" tires).

Just a few thoughts on using it as a daily driver:
 - I bought the regular TJ instead of the LJ because of approach / departure angles, however, based on my usage there are times I've wished I had the extra cargo room, and I've definitely used the Jeep on road a lot more than off road
 - There's no nice way to put it, the Jeep can be a pig with gas sometimes.  A headwind going up a hill destroys any chance at good mileage.
 - So far I've found the Jeep fairly easy to work on for general maintenance tasks and minor repairs.
 - If you don't have an alternate vehicle, you may have to choose between driving to work or wheeling with possible breakdowns (and possibly taking transit to work)
 - It's a convertible, I love it, went topless as much as I could this summer
 - I got more comments from women after owning the Jeep for 3 months than I did owning my sports car for 3 years

If you're still trying to decide, I'd recommend coming out to the meeting next Wednesday.  Talk to people about their rigs, what they like, how they perform, and their thoughts on using it as a daily driver (if that's the direction you want to take).  Good luck!
BlackAura (Kevin)
Migrated to Seattle for a while.

Offline MuBGuB

• Stocker
Re: New (hopefully) future member, new rig
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2011, 05:19:48 PM »
Thanks everyone for the input. Got a lot to think about. I'm going to try and make it out to the meeting with Skyhy.

Regards,
Mitch