Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: New directional MT tires, soon to hit the market.  (Read 6101 times)

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
New directional MT tires, soon to hit the market.
« on: October 21, 2011, 08:19:12 AM »
Here's a pic of the tread pattern. Thoughts?  ???

I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
Re: New directional MT tires, soon to hit the market.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 08:37:09 AM »
The Goodyear Kelvars are also directional...  kinda of the same and people love them...
04 TJ Rubi

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 08:40:04 AM »
When something works your going to have other companies try and imitate. They look less street friendly, but they could be good off the road

...Who's making these?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 08:43:37 AM by Jrama »

Offline esi

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 09:03:21 AM »
I would think that they would be good on the street for tread wear and still have some high void areas for the mud, but a guy has to wonder is they would tend to side track in some situations with one half the tire being grippy and being directional the grip side would be on the same side for all the tires. Just my $.02

Directionals aren't new
Geolandars and X-terrains have been around for quite a while, and kuhmo kl-71 have been around for a while as well.
I haven't ran a set but the kuhmo but they look like they'd be decent off road, not sure if they'd have enough contact on road to get decent wear though.
Formerly of Boots & Boost Inc
Back farming and fabricating again.

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 09:22:26 AM »
Directionals aren't new
Geolandars and X-terrains have been around for quite a while, and kuhmo kl-71 have been around for a while as well.

Ummm, BOGGERS, and don't forget claws and iroks
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 09:31:37 AM »
...Who's making these?

My guess is Interco, Nitto, Goodyear, and BFGoodrich got wasted at a swinger's convention and had a bastard child?

This tire is just a joke if I were to wager a guess . The whole " Frankentire" was a dead giveaway.
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 09:36:55 AM »
Noel, why did you have to go and ruin my fun.  :(

And yes, there is a cactus on the doorstep of the factory where that tire is made.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 06:04:02 AM by w squared »
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 12:00:06 PM »
What makes these tires different is the AT  tread worked in with Lugs with serious voids, directional is far from new, but this hybrid tire idea is, so far the Kevlars are the only real hybrid tire I know of. Duratracs are kind of along the same thinking just more AT biased. I wouldn't take these type of tires too lightly they seem to work pretty well even if the Franken tire is a bit much I believe the concept is sound.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 12:05:03 PM by Jrama »

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 01:41:18 PM »
I haven't ran a set but the kuhmo but they look like they'd be decent off road, not sure if they'd have enough contact on road to get decent wear though.

I have had the KL71s on my XJ for over 3 years now. Daily driving for most of those years, along with weekly trips between calgary and Edmonton. They have seen their fair share of Mclean and waiperous in both summer and winter. Ive been really impressed with them, but on the ice and hard pack snow, they are like wearing tennis shoes. No siping whatsoever. Otherwise, offroad and in the snow and mud, love em. Also give that nice hum on the highway ;) As for wear, they are not bad on my rig at 27psi. I didnt rotate them for the first 6 months though so one of them started to scallop.. H0wever now that they are at the correct PSI and being rotated they are all at about 30 to 40% tread left.
I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline Tyn Pow

• Budget Lift
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 01:47:26 PM »
Are those inner lugs winged-skulls???

Man, I want some skulls on my tires...that's just badass.

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 02:05:09 PM »
Are those inner lugs winged-skulls???
Man, I want some skulls on my tires...that's just badass.

Dick Cepek makes the " Crusher" and it has skull & bones for sidebiter lugs. That crap might float your boat?

Check out the " Fierce Attitude " tires that JK folk seem to gravitate to. Barbed- wire on the sidewalls for better Pam Anderson/ over-tanned guy at the gym gayness.
Lockers

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 02:06:14 PM »

Check out the " Fierce Attitude " tires that JK folk seem to gravitate to. Barbed- wire on the sidewalls for better Pam Anderson/ over-tanned guy at the gym gayness.

WTF is with associating those things with JK's, Noel. There are way more of those on rig rockets than on JK's.  ;D

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 02:17:17 PM »
WTF is with associating those things with JK's, Noel. There are way more of those on rig rockets than on JK's.  ;D

Ummmm....NO !

Diesel folk rock Toyos my friend. Slight blemish to such an awesome tire.

The JK forums were all abuzz about the" Fierce Attitude " <frack I can't even say that without laughing to myself>tires as they were available in 17" and up sizes for the Cali/ Flat bill/ Tapout crowd. Not a knock at JK's (even though the XJ crowd owes you)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 02:22:33 PM by tubby »
Lockers

Offline NUXJR

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 02:44:24 PM »
You guys crack me up!!!! :o ::) ;D

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 05:12:02 PM »
Hey whats wrong with Tapout? Im ordering up a sweet windshield banner that covers the whole thing.. the letters will be clear so I can still see of course. Oh and its silver to match my TJ. Nobodies gonna fark with me with sportin that thing! Gotta go finish installing my chrome red led skull knob now.