Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: XJ build  (Read 3715 times)

Offline fly4living

• Stocker
XJ build
« on: October 29, 2011, 09:12:50 AM »
Hello all.
I am new the club.
I own an XJ that we brought with us when we moved from the US to Canada 8 years ago. I am thinking about doing a build with it but have a load of questions!
My XJ is as basic as it gets. Which in a way is not bad. The problem is that it is a 2X4!!! Yeah... Did not know they made 2X4 Jeeps until I saw that one! Now I can already hear some of you saying "why in the world did you buy a 2X4?!" the answer is that my wife bought it before we met.
Anyway... Long story short, I want to change the 2.5L to a 4.0L engine (told you it is a basic one) and make it 4X4. And of course put some gear on it to make it a bit trail worthy. I am not looking at making a rock crawler out of it.
So, could any one guide me toward some websites, books, personal experiences etc... So I can see if I would be able to do that. What? I sound green? Well you are so right!!! Big project for a green dude!!! But hey!!! No pain, no gain!!!
Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply and pointing me in the right direction!!!

Cheers!

Offline JENSSEN

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Racing For The Cure
Re: XJ build
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 09:32:55 AM »
Buy a wrecked XJ in the same year for ease, swap the entire drive train and harness. Start there, xjtalk.com is a good site"green" friendly with lots of good info
www.racingforthecure.ca

Definition of Link to this definition of Blasphemy
1. [n] blasphemous behavior; the act of depriving something of its sacred character;

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 09:33:31 AM »
Welcome! Another Unibody brother!!!!

http://www.oramagazine.com/pastissues/0207-issue/index.asp?article=finesse
http://www.oramagazine.com/pastIssues/0307-issue/index.asp?article=finesse
http://www.oramagazine.com/pastIssues/0407-issue/index.asp?article=finesse
http://www.oramagazine.com/pastIssues/0507-issue/index.asp?article=finesse

Have fun reading, those will get you started!! The folks on here are a good bunch with a lot of knowledge. Feel free to ask, but do use the SEARCH before you post up. Some people (whom shall remain anonymous for now) get a wee bit touchy when the same question is asked over and over again.

T
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline XJSteve

• Winch Wench
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 10:56:40 AM »
OK, so I like a good challenge just like anyone else but wouldn't it be a lot easier just to sell the 2X4, take the loss, and buy a 4.0 4X4 on the open market? You'll spend enough time wrenching your XJ to modify it for whatever off-road environment you want. Often people new to the world of modifying vehicles bite off too much. My fear is that you end-up spending a 100 hours trying to transplant your driveline etc., get frustrated and bored and end-up selling a big hunk of parts at the end. When you start to modify an already existing 4X4/4.0 you get to undertake smaller projects with more immediate gratification and then you can decide whether you want to take on the more serious projects that cause you to pull your hair out (I'm almost bald and cannot claim even half the fabrication skills some of the guys in this club have but have many times felt the wrath of frustration and the temptation to throw tools across the garage). Just my thoughts;you may have already made-up your mind to modify your existing vehicle and if so then all the power to you!
'99 XJ 5.5 " Rubicon Express, 33" tires, AW4, 4.0, ARB bumpers front/rear, Warn 9000 lb winch, Rockhard rollbar, Optimal yellow top, Cobra CB, bushwacker flares, Safari snorkel; saving-up for a 3" body lift

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 12:48:47 PM »
OK, so I like a good challenge just like anyone else but wouldn't it be a lot easier just to sell the 2X4, take the loss, and buy a 4.0 4X4 on the open market?

THIS.
Sage advice
There are LOTS of used 4 wheel drive Cherokees out there with a 6 cylinder.
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 03:02:12 PM »
THIS.
Sage advice
There are LOTS of used 4 wheel drive Cherokees out there with a 6 cylinder.

Yep. Also agree. My roommate picked up 4 in the last 3 weeks, all running well... Not hard to find, especially now coming up to winter.
I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 04:02:04 PM »
Yep. Also agree. My roommate picked up 4 in the last 3 weeks, all running well... Not hard to find, especially now coming up to winter.

Hey...maybe you should just sell that 2WD 4-banger XJ to Pook. I hear he's buying every unibody that comes near him!  ;D
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline fly4living

• Stocker
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 04:59:11 PM »
Yeah... I hear you guys...
I have read that kind of answer a lot on different open forums.
I guess the only answer I can give you is that I like my XJ! What I really like about it is that the body is really clean.
I guess I have a tough time to let it go...
We'll see. I might very well change my mind. I am only in the planning stage right now. Gathering as much info as I can before starting gathering parts to start the build.Might take a while, but I am a planner...Measure twice cut once right!?

Thanks for the advices guys! Keep them coming!

Cheers!

Offline Kwilson

• Stocker
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 05:26:54 PM »
I don't know how hard it is, but if you like the body and everything and thats your reason for keeping it.. Why not just switch it over onto the 4x4 Xj

Offline xjpete

• Baby Wheeler
  • New ride
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 08:42:32 PM »
A clean body is a great way to start a build  2wd or 4wd and switching to 4wd is easier than finding another good shell .  ???
97 XJ,8'' LA ,35's , SBC .
98 ZJ daily driver .