Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Clutch/Transmission Servicing  (Read 1079 times)

youngen18

Clutch/Transmission Servicing
« on: April 21, 2006, 11:55:43 AM »
Hey all,
My jeep keeps taking more turns for the worse. I'm thinking that the clutch bearing (dont know the actual technical term) is shot. When I am idling out of gear and press in the clutch, it will start squeeling about 90% of the time. (embarassing when I'm on 17th ave going home ;) )
So yea, while im getting that repair, I'm prolly gonna get the clutch and push plate etc changed too. One shop said you have to replace all that anyways on that design. I dont know much about clutchs and transmissions though so I guess that why I'm posting.

Anyone know, by the description I gave above, if that would be the clutch bearing. And can anyone give any referals to good shops/mechanics who could possibly change this out for me?

Jon

Offline cjsteve

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 01:22:12 PM »
Definately sounds like a thow-out bearing.  The bearing itself is cheep, but while it's apart the clutch and seals should be done.  The main shaft oil seal is a must.  They are notorious for leaking.  Hope this helps you out

Dragonmaster

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 02:17:36 PM »
Do you know how to work a wrench and a ratchet?  Have a jack and some jackstands?  This is easily doablein you driveway on the weekend and will porbably save you $500-1000 on labour.  Clutch kits with throwout bearing run from $250-800 for just the parts depending on brand and quality.