Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: 2000 Grand Cherokee rear end specs?  (Read 2240 times)

Offline 00gc

• Stocker
2000 Grand Cherokee rear end specs?
« on: January 09, 2012, 06:45:48 PM »
Hey guys im looking for some tech help.

I have a 2000 Jeep grand cherokee Laredo with the 4.0l and Selec Trac

Long story short my rear end is destroyed and i need to rebuild it however to do so i need ot know if i have the 3-5 or the 4-4 im told along with the ratio, im hoping some one here knows.

I am also curious which jeeps would have the same rear end so i can source one out.

im hoping to go pull one at a wrecker and change it over unless of course someone on here has one for sale!

Thanks in advance

Offline 00gc

• Stocker
Re: 2000 Grand Cherokee rear end specs?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 06:48:40 PM »
if anyone does have these parts available im just looking for the gearing (guts) of the diff, axles are fine and really would rather not replace the whole rear end.

thanks again

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 06:51:38 PM »
First off welcome to the forum.

Secondly, I will assume your looking to find out what axle you have? They are actually listed as a 35, or a 44. There is no dashes. This shouldnt but may  confuse some people here.. :)

Heres a simple way to tell.

You can also ask Jackstandjohnny or whiteout on this forum for help with your Grand. They are both very knowledgeable about them. In terms of what jeep came with what, they are Jeeps. Chrysler didnt really set out a certain way of building them. Look for another rear from another Grand in the same body style and you will not have to do any cutting of mounts off the axle. If you can look under it and identify which one you have from the shape then thats half the battle.

Welcome to the fray ;)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 06:55:29 PM by TL-Iguana »
I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline BrokenAxle

• That CB Yapper
    • Broken Axle home page
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 07:40:59 PM »
with a 4.0L you have a 35.  I'm pretty sure only available in the wj's.  You'll need one out of a 4.0l 99-04 grand.  Gear ratio is prob 3.55 but should def confirm that.

Dave

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 12:05:41 PM »
Also you cann't just replace the "guts" of the diff as you need special tools and knowledge of how gears are setup to properly install them so they won't howl or blow up again.

Your best bet is to replace the whole diff with a another one or pay someone to replace the damaged parts. Its usually not worth it to install used gears either.

What exactly is "destroyed" in your current diff?

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline 00gc

• Stocker
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 10:34:49 PM »
well thanks for the welcome and knowledge, to be honest i have had the jeep for about 6 years and am about to part ways with her, as i bought a new toy.

On the last day driving it i was passing a bus (yes in yyc lol) and heard a huge bang in the rear end, i drove it home and towed it to my work where i have at least a heated area to work on it lol.

as for what is destroyed: i was actually blown away how much damage there was inside considering i never had any problems before the incident but the left (drivers side) "side gear" i believe it is called is damn near smooth and has no teeth left on it, the gear that connects the side gear to the pinion gear is also somewhat worn out. i did look at the possibility of replacing the whole rear end but that seams like a ton more work than just re-buliding the gears.

from what i can see (with the cover off) both side gears and the gear that connect them to the pinion gear are toast im jus trying to find the best and most cost effective way to repair this.

oh and i have the 35 so thats for that !

Offline 00gc

• Stocker
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 10:40:03 PM »
i do have some photos but i have no idea how to post them, i assume they need to be hosted somewhere and html'd on ?

Offline CatSplat

• Budget Lift
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 11:05:34 PM »
You can host them on Photobucket (there's a mobile app) and post them. From the sounds of it, your spider gears are toast? If it's just the spiders, then those can be replaced without doing a complete gear setup. If there's a problem with the ring gear or pinion gear, then things are going to be more complicated and/or expensive.
Jeep of Theseus

Offline BUKI

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Project Fugly
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 08:05:53 AM »
I do believe that replacing the whole axle is waaayyyy easier than redoing your gears. I think you have things mixed up. Doing gears is extremely complicated. There's backlash that needs to be measured and compensated for. It sounds like you've never done this before. Either get someone to do it for you. Or replace the whole axle also way cheaper. Whole axle will cost like 250 at p&p. And something you could do yourself. Gears around 300 parts 600 labour. But of couse that's if it is more than your spiders.

Offline 00gc

• Stocker
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 04:01:36 PM »
still not 100% certain on my ratio sounds like its a 3.73 however i came across this website thought yo guys might find it useful http://www.wjjeeps.com/tcases.htm

Offline 00gc

• Stocker
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 10:15:36 PM »
for the record easiest thing i have ever done/replaced on my jeep!  Anyone thinking of doing this the gears and bearings/seals are all available at "pats driveline" on blackfoot!

good luck and thanks for the help guys !

Offline CatSplat

• Budget Lift
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 11:15:32 PM »
So, er, what exactly did you replace?
Jeep of Theseus

Offline 00gc

• Stocker
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 03:55:04 PM »
rebuilt the carrier so i replaced the 4 spider sears internal to the carrier! runs awesome again !