Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Ruffled feathers and eating a little crow  (Read 4710 times)

Offline WK2008

• UberWheeler
Ruffled feathers and eating a little crow
« on: January 19, 2012, 09:45:46 PM »
Well gents its clear that I did not choose the best words to ask some questions in my "secret society" post last weekend. Trust me when I say that I did not intend to offend anyone, but clearly I did. I can absolutely understand that family and work come first, hopefully in that order. I myself have taken on a new role which requires a great deal of travel and therefore my hobbies will of course go to the sidelines.

The main question that I had was why I have not seen the executives out on the open and CJA sanctioned runs that I have attended. The comment about my decision not to apply to become a member was simple for me, I just dont have the time to devote the time I feel I would want to put in to help the club to the extent I would like to. I was able to get out to two recoveries this past year and two trail projects as well. I did have back surgery this year too so my capacity to help with the grunt work is limited however.

In the end, I can certainly appreciate that some great friendships have developed in the CJA community and I would never expect to get an invite to a run where a group of friends want to go out and run together. I was just wondering if I was missing the boat all together and I also didnt know that there was a members only area on the forum. I do plan to get out and get some rocky mountain pinstriping on the fresh black paint right after I drop the kids off at soccer practice :)

I hope that as men we can appreciate that online / email communication never quite hits the right tone, however I hope that the tone and intent of this post is well received.

John

Offline THE GOLD DIIGGER

• UberWheeler
  • This is cool lets see you do this.
Re: Ruffled feathers and eating a little crow
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 10:12:26 PM »
Hey John you can come on a run with me anytime  :) yes anytime your a great guy and hope you can get out in the future!!!

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 11:10:38 PM »
online / email communication never quite hits the right tone

Aint that the truth...

Personally I have wheeled with a lot of the Exec, both former and present, and they are all great people. They all have full time jobs, and as a member you can see in the members section that they all do post a lot about how they want to see this club move forward, and how they are very much involved as much as they can be off the trail. There is a lot of time and work that goes on behind the scenes that the open forum does not see. They are a very active bunch of individuals in the club, and Im sure if they were not on call, or working nights, or long shifts, then you would see them wheeling as well. Not to bring up your original post, but there were people that ran the trails before the 101 and information was relayed to the exec at the time. Trail conditions change constantly with weather, and it was unfair of you to call them out to say that you were upset with the end result. I myself was one of those people that ran the route along with other members... These guys have put a lot of time in to this club to keep everyone safe, and they do their damn best with their schedules to keep everyone happy. I myself can vouch for this group to say they are good people, and they DO wheel when their schedules line up. A lot of feathers do get ruffled around here and I myself have treaded on a few toes in the past, but stick around, keep coming out on the sanctioned open runs and you will find that to put together these runs, organize club events such as the show an shine, food bank runs, and Christmas parties, it takes a lot of time and dedication off the trails.
I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline frenchy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 11:51:27 PM »
Cliff notes?

My feeling was not hurt. Try harder next time.  :P
Jeep
With stuff

Offline WK2008

• UberWheeler
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 12:14:39 AM »
I too agree that the executives have done a great job of promoting the club and I am sure it is a great deal of work that takes place behind the scenes. As I mentioned, I was not aware that as a member there are other areas of the site that would become available in the event that I was accepted. I just thought you had to sign in to have features like the search portion work. It makes a lot of sense to limit access to certain areas to those who have been voted in and have paid their dues in more ways than just a monetary sense.

I look forward to meeting more of you at the meetings, when time permits and offering some more of my free time to help keep the trails open when trail projects come up. It sure was fun to crawl around under that old Chev truck with the winch lines and watch Aaron drag it out of the woods. Maybe we just found a good use for the oversized mall crawlers after all Sarge :). I will volunteer the Durango to yank out the next clown car that is left on the trails.

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 07:37:40 AM »
John and I had a good chat yesterday.  All water under the bridge now...
04 TJ Rubi

RUBICON13

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 09:25:14 AM »
Awesome! Let's all act like adults, shake hands and get to some more wheeling...

Thanks for the post John!

I know I have managed to tread on some toes as well. To all of those please accept my sincerest apologies and I hope to see you all on the trail.

Jeff

P.S. I don't mind you calling my JKU a mini van... I'll even tow your rig out when it gets stuck... ;D

Offline NUXJR

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 09:28:20 AM »
Glad ya got the air cleared John.  Might I suggest that when you have gas in the future, you choose more wisely who you share it with :D ;).  Looking forward to seeing you and the Rango out for more fun!!!  If yur not gunna get a winch right away at least GET A DURN CB!!!!! :P

Have a happy Friday dude!!! ;D
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 09:56:04 AM by NUXJR »

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 04:11:45 PM »
Words are only as good as the paper they are written on.
Why does your Jeep say Toyota on it?
The obstacle is the path.

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 04:15:18 PM »
One who goes to bed with an itchy bum; wakes up with stinky fingers...

Offline BUKI

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Project Fugly
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 10:51:06 PM »
One who goes to bed with an itchy bum; wakes up with stinky fingers...

That's good ;D

Offline WK2008

• UberWheeler
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 08:39:31 AM »
Words are only as good as the paper they are written on.

This is a good example of interpretation on the web. I don't know what you're trying to say here Aaron but I will try and take it in a positive tone.

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 09:04:00 AM »
I thought my stupid analogy was going to lighten the mood and throw people off a bit..It kind of worked... but didn't stop the thread ;D Oh well I tried.

John...Pls don't worry too much about the forum. Let's move on and wheel.... life if too short. I've never met you and hope to be able to shake your paw sometime on the trail.

Here on this forum... I couldn't care less what half of the people I don't know say.  It's the internet.... people changes quite a bit when you meet them face to face.

Tata for now

Dom

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 10:28:24 AM »
What I mean is you can say all you want but actions speak loader then words.

I don't forget things very fast and was 110% insulted for what you said comparing us to the CT4WD. I started the 101 and all we ever asked was for the rig to be safe, have tow points, and a donation to the trail fund. of with we received $5 up to $100. it was what you can afford because we are about wheeling. the compared group you have to buy your way in, and custom is frown upon. There group there way of doing things, If I agree or not.

Also we are a club that when we have a open run all we ask is for your rig to be safe, you don't have to take any classes, courses or ride with someone first or have someone ride with you. The leaders of the club, (they may not be exsets but they are leaders) work very hard to keep the club laid back and fun.

You probably won't see me unless it is at the 101 or a meeting. But I will continue this conversation in person with you with no issues. I don't dislike you I also don't like you I view you as someone that needs to get out with the club more other than a scrap medal recovery, or a open run.
Why does your Jeep say Toyota on it?
The obstacle is the path.

Offline WK2008

• UberWheeler
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 10:37:03 AM »
You bet I want to keep this as laid back as possible. The part about the other club was exactly what you just pointed out. It's about safe wheeling with like minded individuals who enjoy the outdoors and heeps. I don't agree with the majority of the rules that the other guys impose including the monetary part.

I had a good chat with Kevin and have been enlightened a fair bit about the members side of the club. I look forward to meeting with all of you guys at the next meeting.

Enjoy the balmy weather out there folks!