Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Soo I Think I've Decided..  (Read 4718 times)

Offline IgniteTJ

• Budget Lift
Soo I Think I've Decided..
« on: January 25, 2012, 01:55:28 AM »
How I'd like to go, after much thought and back and forth from my sounding board friends I've decided to go with a Tj preferably newer then 2000, and convert it into a Brute with the AEV kit.. I absolutely love the look of it and its just great.. And as for axles under the jeep since I know the dana 30 and 35 are known to have issues.. Well my current truck is really worth next to nothing to sell off so I was thinking it could become a donor vehicle with its axles to the jeep in the future (Dana 44 front, chrysler 9.25 rear) The only real knocks against the 9.25 is the lowest gear ratio is 4:56 (I only plan to run 35's) and the C clips.. but from what I read the ford 8.8 also run c clips.. I know the axles are full width but talking with my dad on that one he's had more then a few axles shortened and the shafts shortened as well in the past so that isn't too much of a concern for me.

So basically.. Thoughts/opinions? It basically comes down to taking a Tj preferably leaving the 4.0L in it (I like the engine, but I'll be saving the 5.2l from my truck as a future option) Throwing the dana 44 front and chrysler 9.25 rear end in it and converting it into a brute kit.. (All in still comes cheaper then a new rubicon with a sweeter looking ride!)
1998 Dodge Ram Reg Cab Short Box, lift and 35's going on it over the winter along with 4:10's

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
Re: Soo I Think I've Decided..
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 07:05:27 AM »
Just get a super 8.8 kit and remove the c clips. Id probably shorten a couple shafts, then you dont have to wait for spairs. Sounds a great plan altogether :-)

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 08:55:01 AM »
explorer diff. add some spacers, or the super 88 kit as previously stated and it will sit perfectly.

rear driveshaft will have to be made however.

how much for the Ram? ;)
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 11:28:35 AM »
If you only plan to run 35's look for Rocky Mountain Edition TJ or get an LJ. They come with a D44 rear and the D30 front will handle  35's *locked* nicely with a few upgrades. If your only running 35's I find it unnecessary to swap out the axles.

Something like this is what I am talking about, you can find them older and cheaper I'm sure.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2005-Jeep-TJ-Rocky-Mountain-Edition-Coupe-W0QQAdIdZ337123200

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 11:40:57 AM by Jrama »

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 11:40:54 AM »
i agree with the other comments. putting a dodge d44 and 9.25 would be a lot of hassle and work when the right stock axles would work fine. as well, if you're going to spend the 10-15G for the brute kit why stop there and cheap out on axles?
talk to the guy at this shop, he did the brute conversion on his tj. ask his opinion on it and how you would like your jeep to be in the end.
http://www.beartrax4x4.com/Home.html

projects like these take a lot of time, money and planning. if you're ok with that then do a solid build-up on it, no use cheeping out on one part or another. take your time and you'll be able to afford better parts as your visa gets paid off  ;)
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline IgniteTJ

• Budget Lift
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 11:57:32 AM »
I want the money for that Tj you linked now haha =p - yeah at this point I don't plan on running anything bigger then 35's and the only reason for considering my axle swap is I already had the truck paid for.. And reading into it I found that the 9.25 is rated as a fair bit stronger then the 8.8 and is relatively close to the dana 60 in strength. And I'm perfectly fine with this being a long term project and doing it properly.. And I'm far from one to cheap out on anything I tend to go towards high end whenever possible
1998 Dodge Ram Reg Cab Short Box, lift and 35's going on it over the winter along with 4:10's

Offline IgniteTJ

• Budget Lift
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 12:00:35 PM »
explorer diff. add some spacers, or the super 88 kit as previously stated and it will sit perfectly.

rear driveshaft will have to be made however.

how much for the Ram? ;)

I haven't compared it to kijiji prices yet to be honest =p Its all I have to drive currently so can't sell it yet! And its not fair trying to buy it off me once I get all the expensive parts replaced on it haha.

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 02:15:14 PM »
You may want to rethink your love of the Brute look. Take the cab off and this is how nicely it matches up. Horrible.
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline IgniteTJ

• Budget Lift
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 02:53:03 PM »
Actually thats the first time I've seen them without the hard top.. And I still like it. Though I do foresee issues on where to put speakers

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 03:01:03 PM »
Wow... I loved the Brute till that pic, that looks fuggin stoooopid without the top on.

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 03:42:36 PM »
that one has the aev highline kit on it as well, so it may look a little off due to fenders/flares up a little higher. but Tom is right, i dont mind the looks without the top on but the belt lines dont line up. looks a little off.
the orange fj45 has an even belt line and gives a better look.

YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 06:03:16 PM »
ull be spending 10 thousand dollars on the brute kits plus labor and odds and ends .. you mine as well spend 1500 bucks on a pair of 60's and do it right
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 06:57:09 PM »
If you like the truck/jeep look go with an LJ, half top and bulkhead, then add the high line kit. That way everything matches up and looks sexy...there was one on kijiji but it's gone now, looked amazing!
02' Black TJ Apex on 33s, 2.5"  OME HD lift, Currie JJ CA on all four corners, 4:10 axles, Husky-Liner Rear Swing-Away Bumper and Bushwackers Flat Flares.

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 08:29:08 AM »
ull be spending 10 thousand dollars on the brute kits plus labor and odds and ends .. you mine as well spend 1500 bucks on a pair of 60's and do it right

i am with you. i think esthetic spending is a waste of money. Heck, just buy bnine's rig for 15 and you will have one of the most capable rigs out there. But to spend money for a Brute conversion makes no 'practical' sense but, its your dream and your money.
Enjoy :)
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline jeepjones

• Budget Lift
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 11:42:31 AM »
i am with you. i think esthetic spending is a waste of money. Heck, just buy bnine's rig for 15 and you will have one of the most capable rigs out there. But to spend money for a Brute conversion makes no 'practical' sense but, its your dream and your money.
Enjoy :)
X2!