Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: A Quality High Clearance T-Case Skid TJ  (Read 3284 times)

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
Re: A Quality High Clearance T-Case Skid TJ
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 12:29:09 PM »
A little more money, but hands down a FAR superior suspension. I would strongly suggest staying away from that RC suspension.

http://claytonoffroad.com/product_info.php/cPath/17_125/products_id/355

With 3-4" suspension lift and a max 35" tire size would long arms really be worth it over a quality short arm kit like Currie in a practical sense? I know the Clayton kit does change suspension geometry to outperform a stock-ish short arms setup anyday, I have heard that long arms don't come into their own until your above 35" tires and want a smooth ride.

90 bucks for shipping
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 12:33:26 PM by Jrama »

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 12:46:53 PM »
The clayton setup is a "mid arm" suspension. It is definately a nice upgrade to any shortarm. It will perform slightly better during articulation, climb significantly better, and handle/ride significantly better then a quality short arm.

The short will definately get the job done, and is a good suspension as well when done right. Specially if you stay 2-3" with the lift.

4" and more on SA's dramatically effect the handling, ride quality, and climbing performance on TJ's.

Also, if you are using full size johnny joint lowers, its very easy to just weld in a set of clayton brackets down the road and build some lowers using your existing JJ SA's. You either build new links, or stretch your originals.

Joints are the most expensive component of any suspension. If you already have a full JJ SA, done right, you can custom mid arm it for WELL under 1000$ in parts.

Lowers tubing is 10/ft. You only need 10 ft.

Uppers tubing is less then 5$/ft, and you need about 9ft.

A full bracket set from clayton, meaning front and rear frame brackets, rear link bridge, and front link bridge is less then 500$. Probably 550 shipped.

So 150$ in tubing, 550$ in brackets, the use of your existing SA components and you are set up on a full custom mid arm suspension.

The key is using good stuff in the first place that you can continue to use down the road as you upgrade.

That way you can build in stages as money allows, but not lose your shirt selling an entry level suspension you bought for pennies on the dollar and then turning around and paying full price for a whole new system.

Lots of options, but my main point was to make it clear that the RC lift that caught your eye really is not quality suspension for dollars spent.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2012, 06:29:37 PM »
So I got the skid on today no mml and no "low pro" transmission mount only a 1.25" BL. Took modification of the fan shroud, setting rear pinion angle and installation of rear uppers. No clearancing  of the tub was needed and it drives nice on the road got it up to about 120 with no problems.

One problem does however exist, (because I did not buy the trans mount i assume) the gear shifter basically can touch the dash...the whole transmission is sitting like an 1 1/2" more forward now (which probably explains why it was and absolute bitch to line up).it is drive-able but very annoying. So I guess I'm in for another 125+GST+Shipping+Duty...oh and another 5 days

I'll post some pictures of installation and all that later.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 06:33:22 PM by Jrama »

Offline RustJ5

• Winch Wench
    • reddeerjeep.com
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 08:06:54 PM »
While the lo-pro is probably the way to go, what about removing and bending the shifter cane?
2002 TJ 4.0 5sp
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2012, 09:00:24 PM »
Yeah I'm trying to think my way out of this, I have the center console plastic removed right now in order to drive it. I would have to trim quite a bit of it in order to shift with it on. This is the base of the shifter not the stick...

I'll let post up with whatever happens

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
Re: Re: A Quality High Clearance T-Case Skid TJ
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 02:34:02 PM »
Mml will fix that easily

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 04:45:58 PM »
^^ Yeah that makes sense, I'll get a mml on there and see what happens. It should tilt the tranny back sending the shifter backwards away from the dash, I just hope it will make enough of a difference.

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
Re: Re: A Quality High Clearance T-Case Skid TJ
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 05:53:43 PM »
It should, you might not be able to have the actual boot attached, but you could always move the entire console back abit. theres a 1/2" or so of room.

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2012, 11:22:16 PM »
I tried jacking the motor up 1" to mimic a MML and it only moved the stick back about 1/2" or so. I'm going to go a different route, I'm going to call UCF tomorrow and ask him what the low pro mount can do for me in this situation see what he says.

Otherwise, make a shifter that works and cut the plastic consul.

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2012, 07:47:26 AM »
Pull the shifter

Place in vice

Heat

Bend

Fit

Repeat until happy with location

Re install shifter