Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: 5.2l what would u do if u where building a engine?  (Read 3407 times)

Offline heep-a-lop

• UberWheeler
  • EMF WHORE
    • EMF Rod Ends And Steering Components
5.2l what would u do if u where building a engine?
« on: May 25, 2012, 10:05:30 AM »
okay so close to buying a new engine and trans combo for the 96 zj

if u where to drop a stock block 5.2l into a zj, what else would u do if u had the money to it before u slapped it in...

i am thinking mild cam and a set of springs and pushrods

my thoughts are a 100% stock engine and then do this to it....

WOuld u take the time to do a home port job? is it worth it?

would u ditch the stock intake for something else?(thinkin keepin stock not going for crazy power just some bottom grunt)

stock tb or ported tb or aftermarket tb?(thinking of home porting mine)

thinking of also slappin a double roller timing chain into the engine?(for durabilty)

and finnally a set of fms 24 lb injectors and a new fuel pump

thining this setup and a proper exhaust should make small power but enough to turn 33's if thats what i go to....

my engine is getting low oil pressure and pretty sure its kinda knockin if not b0ttom its tappin away up top..
so i gotta drop some money anyways and i just cant do stock anymore....
i want it to be durable and reliable but still have some grunt...when u push it
not like my car where its constantly tuning bullshit...

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
Re: 5.2l what would u do if u where building a engine?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 10:08:35 AM »
i'd gut your green one and get a newer 1998 ;)  take all the good parts from yours and transfer it over. 
tonnes for sale on Kijiji for reasonable prices.

that would be my opinion if my ZJ engine/tranny were kinda pooched!
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 10:45:35 AM »
that would be my opinion if my ZJ engine/tranny were kinda pooched!

Good to know you're still down with this. I know where I'll send the tow truck when this one gets written off.

Offline apeman

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not as grumpy
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 10:48:53 AM »
Get rid of the stinking 42/44re trans.
Getting grumpier every day.
99 XJ - It's got sum stuff ,Noel free stuff..
98 ZJ - It's just ugly, but bigger than your Rubi

Offline raf2379

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 10:58:19 AM »
i would junk the zj and get an xj P) or the JK thing on wheels.

a cam would probably be your best noticable upgrade, and maybe a better flowing exhaus.

Offline heep-a-lop

• UberWheeler
  • EMF WHORE
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 12:12:52 PM »
so apeman is there any options other then this out there....   i have been doing some research but most just seem to just upgrade the darn things but i agree i want it gone...

Offline esi

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 04:17:33 PM »
Put some better flowing exhaust on it, and if I had the time I'm put a supercharger off a grand prix onto it. It should boost enough to bring it back to sealevel performance or a little better. Just my two cents since I have a SC sitting on a shelf in the shop.  And make sure the tranny is in good shape cause they are a piece of poo. ( I have two siting here to back that up)  Possibly put a elbow and vent line onto the tranny routing it out through the bell housing before it all goes back in.
Formerly of Boots & Boost Inc
Back farming and fabricating again.

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 10:44:10 PM »
First off I would start with a 5.9L. Same cost to build be you have more power to begin with.

How much do you want to spend? Performance parts aren't cheap for Magnum motors as there are not at lot of companies making them.

Headers? HAHA good luck. $800-$1000 for a set for a ZJ, IF you can find them.

The intake manifold for my 5.9 was over $800, cam was not too bad, $350, springs were on top of that, can't remember what those cost.

And after all that good stuff, plus a MSD ignition box and KN CAI, it still gets crappy milage and the HP increase was pretty disappointing. Still needs exhaust and custom programming to really make it go.

My advice is to cam it and do a mild port job on the stock kegger(intake) and call it done. Take the rest of the money you would have spent and re-gear it.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 10:47:57 PM »
For durability if its a used engine, do ALL the gaskets, water pump, oil pump, double roller timing chain. Mopar sells super thing head gaskets that give you a slight compression increase.

Offline heep-a-lop

• UberWheeler
  • EMF WHORE
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 06:56:23 PM »
Put some better flowing exhaust on it, and if I had the time I'm put a supercharger off a grand prix onto it. It should boost enough to bring it back to sealevel performance or a little better. Just my two cents since I have a SC sitting on a shelf in the shop.  And make sure the tranny is in good shape cause they are a piece of poo. ( I have two siting here to back that up)  Possibly put a elbow and vent line onto the tranny routing it out through the bell housing before it all goes back in.

i am interested in this now that u put it here but not a 3.8 s.c a tvs unit from a cobalt they have very similar bolt patterns.. and are modable onto a 3.8... the stock 3.8l s/c's are horrible...  belieive me mine might be saying bye this time around on the regal...

anyone got a good guy around here for jeep rebuilds on trans? i have been researching parts abit

Offline heep-a-lop

• UberWheeler
  • EMF WHORE
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 07:00:55 PM »
First off I would start with a 5.9L. Same cost to build be you have more power to begin with.

How much do you want to spend? Performance parts aren't cheap for Magnum motors as there are not at lot of companies making them.

Headers? HAHA good luck. $800-$1000 for a set for a ZJ, IF you can find them.

The intake manifold for my 5.9 was over $800, cam was not too bad, $350, springs were on top of that, can't remember what those cost.

And after all that good stuff, plus a MSD ignition box and KN CAI, it still gets crappy milage and the HP increase was pretty disappointing. Still needs exhaust and custom programming to really make it go.

My advice is to cam it and do a mild port job on the stock kegger(intake) and call it done. Take the rest of the money you would have spent and re-gear it.

thanks man thats what i am looking for someone who has done it before...   

its funny on the headers i paid 900 new for my regal headers coated.... so i know what your saying

yeah gonna do what u said in the last line to a brand new crate and slap a performace rebuild trans behind it ... not screwing around both have 320000 on them and need to be gone...

whered u get your trans done for your 5.9?

Offline afb

• Budget Lift
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 04:51:33 PM »
A huge mod that is needed with the magnum motors is the throttle body. Stock is 46mm and a 5.2 replacement is 50, 52 if you are modding it. It makes a huuuuuge difference in power and my fuel mileage went up. http://www.thefastman.com/throttlebodies5x.php
'93 yj 2.5 with all the engine mods done so I can beat a kid on a tricycle in a race.

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 07:06:22 PM »
I didnt do anything with my tranny other than tighten up the shift cable so that it holds the gears longer.  I do have the heavier duty 46re in my zj though as part of the 5.9 package.

Personally unless you are going to go all out building your engine I don't think the tranny would need anything more than a shift kit and cooler. Providing it is in decent shape.

If rebuilding anyway go with a reputable rebuilder, tell him what your plans are and see what he suggests.