Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: ZIP lockers from Randy's Ring and Pinion  (Read 1571 times)

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
ZIP lockers from Randy's Ring and Pinion
« on: May 26, 2012, 10:09:32 AM »
just looking around online ran across this, never heard of it  http://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/Search_Results.aspx?Requery=True&SortBy=Yukon&SearchType=Key&SearchPhrase=yzl+complete

has anyone tried it?  is it just a knockoff ARB?
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: ZIP lockers from Randy's Ring and Pinion
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 10:31:15 AM »
Was a huge thread on pirate from a couple of years ago. Supposed to be more reliable then arb. Not a copy. New design.

Sent from my I junk

Offline vantagetes

• That CB Yapper
  • Edmonton Trail Rated
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 07:44:34 PM »
Check out the warranty:

Zip Locker (YZL)    One (1) Year    Covers the replacement of the unit and any collaterally damaged parts and associated labor, up to $2,000.*
*Collaterally damaged parts must be submitted for inspection. Receipts for parts and associated labor must be submitted as well. Only claims deemed reasonable by Yukon Gear & Axle will be accepted. Offer may be discontinued without advance notice.

Sure it's only one year but to even offer collateral damage warranty means they have tested their product to the point they are so sure it won't fail they will pay for your other parts if it does.

Yukon makes excellent R&P, axles, drive flanges etc, I have full confidence their lockers will be bullet proof too.

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 12:41:13 AM »

Yukon makes excellent R&P, axles, drive flanges etc, I have full confidence their lockers will be bullet proof too.

Really? I wouldn't choose " excellent" to describe their products. I've rolled/twisted splines on 2 sets of chromo shafts in different rigs after the warranty ended. I would go with " slightly better than stock" or " affordable" There are tons of threads online from Jeepforum to Pirate that have issues with  Randy's and their customer service, and  to what is referred to as " Puke-on" parts. Maybe it's because their products are primarily made in India or China now? Lots of flaws in casting and use of inferior grade materials . Lots of pics online of this.

The Zip Locker? Meh. It's a knock-off(rip-off) of ARB's first generation of locker and produced in India. Randy has also made
cheaper copies of the Detroit and the Lock-Rite. See a pattern here? Definitely not pioneers but the Walmart of Offroad products. The only good thing about the Zip Locker is that it defaults to the locked position if there is a loss of air pressure.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 01:33:39 AM by tubby »
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg

Offline vantagetes

• That CB Yapper
  • Edmonton Trail Rated
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 10:54:56 AM »
Hmm maybe they've changed but back home everyone used to swear by Yukon. Mind you that would of been 6-7 years ago now.