Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Goodyear Duratrac  (Read 6836 times)

Offline RookieRecurve

• Baby Wheeler
Goodyear Duratrac
« on: June 13, 2012, 09:23:32 PM »
I was considering these tires based on price, tread pattern, siping, and positive reviews.  There were a few reviews that mention sidewall failure though, and I have decided not to buy these tires based on that information.  Does anyone on here have any knowledge or experience regarding these tires?  One reviewer commented about how much thinner the sidewalls on the Duratrac was than the MTR/km.
2006 Dodge Power Wagon 35" tires, 4.56 gears, lockers front and rear, sway bar disconnect, 2.73:1 low range, #12,000 warn winch, 2" factory lift, skid plates, tweaked ECM, beefed up diff covers, bilstein shocks, alcoa forged wheels with bead-keepers, etc

Offline Anton

• Budget Lift
Re: Goodyear Duratrac
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 09:38:08 PM »
I have them and i love them.

I did fisher east with them not long ago, and yes i have few nice cuts on it but they are doing a great job!

I took them over the MT one s for one reason cuz i do allot of high way driving with my jeep.

I did about 4-5 trail runs with them and they are great so far.

Anton
1996 jeep cherokee.

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 09:42:26 PM »
Duratracs:
I can definitely say that if you wheel a lot you run the strongest chance of any tire I have seen of gashing a sidewall. They perform good (really good) but are seriously easy to gash open. I haven't even seen that many street tires cut a sidewall on the trail  :o

I have run the MTR-K and have had many many wheeling trips with them, I have cuts in the rubber on the sidewalls but none have ever penetrated. While I have watched two guys in the last few weeks slash open the Dura's
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 09:48:03 PM by Jrama »

Offline XJHERO

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Soberphobic
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 09:45:33 PM »
Holy crap use the search function
if i see one more post on these half arse tires im going to puke.
Fack me :P
Like ivry soap....pure as frack
DD
Get at me Wolf

Offline BUKI

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Project Fugly
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 09:48:25 PM »
I was considering these tires based on price, tread pattern, siping, and positive reviews.  There were a few reviews that mention sidewall failure though, and I have decided not to buy these tires based on that information.  Does anyone on here have any knowledge or experience regarding these tires?  One reviewer commented about how much thinner the sidewalls on the Duratrac was than the MTR/km.

DO NOT BUY THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sidewalls suck.  I have 5 brand new just over 5000 kms on them.  One with 3 inch gash in sidewall (tire now completely useless) another with small gash 1.5 inch not through to the nylon ply, so still using as it is ok.
These tires are amazing for winter/DD on ice.  I have never had a better winter tire (except for a blizzac).  Even when wheeling the tread is amazing.  BUT the sidewall is like a bodybuilder with weak ankles.  If you wheel remotely hard find something else.  OR buy these for winter and have a set of Summer muds (this would be the ultimate)!

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 10:39:08 PM »
i have 35x12.50 Nitto Trail grappler MT's on my 3/4 ton Dodge. It is now my favorite tire.
i like them more than MTR's, more than BFG AT's and more than Toyo OC MT's.
PS, they look good too.
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline RookieRecurve

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 06:54:24 AM »
Great info guys.  Thanks for the straight up answers.  I tried the search function BTW, and did not find the information I was looking for.  Thanks for the tip though.  I am guilty of posting without doing a search first.  How about some tips on doing a proper search?  Key words, quotations, etc.

Looks like Trail Grapplers are in my near future.  :)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon 35" tires, 4.56 gears, lockers front and rear, sway bar disconnect, 2.73:1 low range, #12,000 warn winch, 2" factory lift, skid plates, tweaked ECM, beefed up diff covers, bilstein shocks, alcoa forged wheels with bead-keepers, etc

Offline JohnB

• Budget Lift
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 11:57:41 AM »
They are my preferred dual purpose tire.  Great all year on the road and cent off road.

I have not seen any weaknesses in sidewall.  I know half a dozen friends that have used them a lot off road with no failures.  I ran a lot of miles of sharp rocky terrain aired down last summer on a set and there are no cuts.

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 12:27:32 PM »
A lot of the time tires come in different ply ratings. I usually go for the heavier ply as it will have a beefier sidewall.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline foghorn

• Stocker
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 03:42:14 PM »
Never had any issues with my Duras and ive got about 30,000 on em, wheelin just every weekend since I bought em. Mud sucks beans, they turn into bf ats, expected.

Offline BUKI

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Project Fugly
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 05:04:34 PM »
Never had any issues with my Duras and ive got about 30,000 on em, wheelin just every weekend since I bought em. Mud sucks beans, they turn into bf ats, expected.

I found quite the opposite.  Mud clears with throttle, and the tread is awesome.  Achilles heal = side wall

1st pic gash in unusable.

2nd pic tread depth (brand new)

3rd pic gash in tire still on jeep.

Yes I'm hard on her.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 05:28:18 PM by BUKI »

Offline vantagetes

• That CB Yapper
  • Edmonton Trail Rated
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 06:15:59 PM »
A lot of the time tires come in different ply ratings. I usually go for the heavier ply as it will have a beefier sidewall.

Not in all cases. The DuraTrac only has a 2 ply sidewall in both the C and E load rating.

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 08:57:20 PM »
All three of those tires can be repaired by tire sectioning. Do not know who does those anymore.

Sent from my I junk

Offline wyattjo

• Baby Wheeler
Re: Re: Goodyear Duratrac
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 09:52:01 PM »
Wheels in motion in the northeast said he would repair sidewalls and such... he said he still does vulcanizing (sp) which most shops don't do

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997R using Tapatalk 2

Offline BUKI

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Project Fugly
Re: Re: Goodyear Duratrac
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 09:51:07 AM »
Wheels in motion in the northeast said he would repair sidewalls and such... he said he still does vulcanizing (sp) which most shops don't do

what is this Latin speak!!!!!!
tire sectioning/vulcanizing, huh.  You can fix a radial tire's sidewall???
I'm confused, This tire is like brand new.  Fixing it would redeem me to the wife ;) ;) ;) ;)
need more info, HOW