Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: How much difference is 10 years?  (Read 1322 times)

Offline Nootch

• Baby Wheeler
How much difference is 10 years?
« on: July 08, 2012, 05:34:11 PM »
Well, i guess if you are talking your girlfriend being 18 or 28, i guess its pretty big.  But i am referring to the Jeep 4.0  I have a '90 and a '00 motor both with the respective problems. 

The '90 has 480K on it from a 'Manche and needs a rebuild and all new accessory drive components. the '00 came from my TJ and it spit out an oil pump coming onto a highway.  while i think the damage is minimal with the '00, i think its cheaper to fix that up and place the parts needed fromt he '90 into it and make one good one. 

Does anyone have experience doing cross year conversion and such.  Does the block with the Dizzy match up to the block with a cam syncro (IE, putting the dizzy in the cam syncro spot.  information and experience you have had would be greatly appreciated, or if you know of an article or write up from another forum you could direct me to that would be super awsome as well. This is not something i want to jump into without some good research. 

Thank you in advance for any help you provide

Nootch.

Offline jandh

• UberWheeler
Re: How much difference is 10 years?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 06:45:23 PM »
They changed the Crank in the 4.0L in 1994 and the power steering setup in 1996 and the intake manifold in 1999.

A 93 and older tranny(manual) will not attach to a 94 engine, and visa versa.  

Whats it going into?

either build would do best with a full rebuild including a new oil pump any way.  But it you rebuild the 90, put the intake manifold and power steering setup from to 2000 on it.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 09:15:08 PM by jandh »
1991 YJ

Offline Nootch

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 09:11:26 PM »
Its going into the 90 Manche.  My hope is i can rebuild my '00 motor with less km on it and a new oil pump/bearings and belt set up.  If the hole for the dizzy matches up i think i am set.

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 11:05:12 AM »
Its going into the 90 Manche.  My hope is i can rebuild my '00 motor with less km on it and a new oil pump/bearings and belt set up.  If the hole for the dizzy matches up i think i am set.

The hole for the distributer will work. The serp system, water pump, alternator and alternator mount, injectors, and sensors will all be different.

The sensors are easy, just use the 90 throttle body, it should swap. The injectors will be the problem. You might have to splice connectors onto the 90 harness.

Is the 90 renix? You consider swapping the 2000 harness and everything in one shot to eliminate the renix stuff?
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline Nootch

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 06:01:46 PM »
Don't have the harness, it just the motor that was in the TJ.  The injector issue doesn't concern me, i will be going to the Neon injectors with the renix clip nut design anyways.  I know the serp system is different, and i may end up running dual elec fans to get around that issue, but it sure would be nice to run an auto tensioner on a newer engine.  I think if i can get the renix dizzy to work i am golden.

Thank you very much for the replies already.