Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: '97 Cherokee Random Stalling - Fixed  (Read 1403 times)

Offline verbatim

• Stocker
'97 Cherokee Random Stalling - Fixed
« on: July 12, 2012, 12:39:18 PM »
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to post a follow-up to my saga in the land of Jeepism's. I had sudden random intermittent stalls on my 97' Cherokee, and started replacing parts.. not at random but with some forethought. CPS, Camshaft PS, Fuel Pump, Relay's, TPS, Tested all sensors etc. Finally on a roadtrip in June it came to a head.. frustrated, I assumed it could only be left to the ECU. Thanks to fellow forum members, I was able to track down a used ECU.

Went back to my stranded Jeep. Replaced ECU - She did fire right up.. ran fine till she warmed up.. then Stall. EFFF ME!

Well after a few more countless hours of troubleshooting what it could be.. I started jiggling more wires as it was running.. now I had done this before.. but it did not seem to cause the stalling.. this time I found the "magic spot".. where was this...My Coil Connection!!

In my research I discovered there was 3 major wiring revisions on the '97's. I can see why. The connections are poorly laid out... and not of high quality. I de-pinned my coil connection and slid the terminals over the connections of a spare coil I had.. the 12V feed from the ECU fit nicely.. but the Ground Circuit was basically hovering over the terminal. I Crimped it down properly.. reseated the connection pins.. and Voila.. Perfect runner again! What a relief.. in fact the Jeep has never run stronger.. Who knows how long that connection was loose.

I also hard wired my Camshaft sensor.. as it app eared there was another short in that area at temperature. Lesson of the day.. if you are getting random stalls with no Codes.. replaced your CPS with no change.. Check your connections.. and by this I mean de-pin them from the connector and physically feel if they are making good contact with the pins on the sensor, coil etc.

I had a good look at my buddies '98, and certainly they "beefed" up the wiring harness big time on critical components.

Anyways, glad this is over and I can get back to being trucking around mother nature.  (Been doing a lot of prospecting lately, looking for them elusive nuggets!)

Again- big thanks to all the Forum members whom lent me a hand with spare parts and advice.

Cheers!

Dylan S

« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 12:42:31 PM by verbatim »
-92 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 5 Spd - A beast of a machine (sold)
-97 Jeep Cherokee Sport 5 Spd - A refined beast of a machine, but I still miss my "tank"

AKA. ElkGold

Offline WagoneerXJ

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Bagon Wagon!
Re: '97 Cherokee Random Stalling - Fixed
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 09:15:42 PM »
Good to know about the 97's. I have one, with 337,000 kms on it and it's had no trouble in the 10,000 km I've owned it. Maybe it's a later 97 when they finally figured out the wiring lol
98 XJ Sport 2 Dr, 3", 33's and Bushwacker Flat Flares
87 XJ Wagoneer 5", Dana 44, 34" Swamper TSL's
97 TJ 5.2 Magnum V8 swap, 4" and 33" MTZ's- GF's Jeep
84 Mustang GT-Built 351W 5spd
97 XJ - 3.5", 31" BFG. 370,000 KMS and counting!