Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: zj rock sliders  (Read 6560 times)

Offline bradley

• Budget Lift
zj rock sliders
« on: July 12, 2012, 10:35:09 PM »
After the fathers day run i have realized i need to start making more armor for the zj.
The question is r rock slides bolted onto the frame or r they welded.
Any advice from anyone who has built them b4 would b appreciated

thanks in advance
2002 jeep tj, 7 inch lift with long arm front and triangulated 4 link rear, 37x12.5x15 maxxis creepy crawler tires, custom front and rear bumpers, 12000 winch, G2 dana 44 front with detroit locker, 44 rear with spool, custom rear skins and flares, sye kit

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
Re: zj rock sliders
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 10:37:34 PM »
Uh....ZJ = no frame.

Johnny or Fraser or NUXJr can fill you in on sliders for the Sleezy Z.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline bradley

• Budget Lift
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 10:40:43 PM »
Uh....ZJ = no frame.

Johnny or Fraser or NUXJr can fill you in on sliders for the Sleezy Z.

ya no kidding!
i am pretty sure u know i mean the shitty uni-body sub frame

2002 jeep tj, 7 inch lift with long arm front and triangulated 4 link rear, 37x12.5x15 maxxis creepy crawler tires, custom front and rear bumpers, 12000 winch, G2 dana 44 front with detroit locker, 44 rear with spool, custom rear skins and flares, sye kit

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 10:46:31 PM »
Bolted or welded to the unibody, then bolts through the pinch seam below the doors. I'll grab some pics

Offline bradley

• Budget Lift
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 10:49:44 PM »
Bolted or welded to the unibody, then bolts through the pinch seam below the doors. I'll grab some pics

thanks

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 11:02:48 PM »
buildin some soon buddy.

next few weeks.  i'll take step by step pics for you.

they will be welded into the frame.  we will be welding 1/8" plate into the 'frame rails' for support and bolted into the pinch seam in the rocker. 

what i'm doing to the front is gonna be sick though ;)
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline bradley

• Budget Lift
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 11:20:12 PM »
buildin some soon buddy.

next few weeks.  i'll take step by step pics for you.

they will be welded into the frame.  we will be welding 1/8" plate into the 'frame rails' for support and bolted into the pinch seam in the rocker. 

what i'm doing to the front is gonna be sick though ;)

i am not 100 percent sure when i will actually start building them, but i am planning a bit different of a way on building them, the bottom section underneath the doors is pretty rotted out so i wanted to cut most of that out and build the rock sliders into that section, i havent taken a really good look at it yet to c if it will  actually work but thats the plan so far

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 11:47:00 PM »

the bottom section underneath the doors is pretty rotted out so i wanted to cut most of that out and build the rock sliders into that section, i havent taken a really good look at it yet to c if it will  actually work but thats the plan so far

It will work but it's a major pain in the buttocks. Cutting out the rusted rocker panels and incorporating a slider is a kill two birds with one stone situation. I've helped a poor bastard do this 2 years ago and it was very time consuming . Two XJ guys I know that have done this swear they would never do it again. Totally doable though
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg

Offline bradley

• Budget Lift
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 11:50:06 PM »
It will work but it's a major pain in the buttocks. Cutting out the rusted rocker panels and incorporating a slider is a kill two birds with one stone situation. I've helped a poor bastard do this 2 years ago and it was very time consuming . Two XJ guys I know that have done this swear they would never do it again. Totally doable though

well thats good to hear, i dont need easy i just need doable

Offline NUXJR

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 12:37:37 AM »
I've got the Ironrock sliders on mine if ya wanna check em out ;D

Offline bradley

• Budget Lift
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 12:41:12 PM »
I've got the Ironrock sliders on mine if ya wanna check em out ;D

Sure I wouldent mind takin a look

Offline Pookapotamus

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 01:20:10 PM »
I have done the Genright sliders to 2 of my Xj's by cutting out the rocker panel and welding the sliders up inside. It is not that big of a pain if you have done it before, my first one turned out ok and was functional but did not look great.the second was far easier and looks great. If you have the time and skill I would totally recommend doing it this way. And I will be doing this to a friends Xj When he gets around to fixing his. let me know if you want some pointers, might even have a few pics some where.

Pook

Offline bradley

• Budget Lift
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 08:31:55 PM »
I have done the Genright sliders to 2 of my Xj's by cutting out the rocker panel and welding the sliders up inside. It is not that big of a pain if you have done it before, my first one turned out ok and was functional but did not look great.the second was far easier and looks great. If you have the time and skill I would totally recommend doing it this way. And I will be doing this to a friends Xj When he gets around to fixing his. let me know if you want some pointers, might even have a few pics some where.

Pook

thanks, once i get going i will send you a pm if i have any questions

Offline NUXJR

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 08:46:23 AM »

Sure I wouldent mind takin a look

They were on the ZJ at the Father's day run ;)

Offline bradley

• Budget Lift
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 11:16:35 AM »
They were on the ZJ at the Father's day run ;)

Ya I saw them on there they looked awsome, I was more curious to how they were mounted tho