Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: 2013 JKU Rubicon  (Read 4082 times)

Offline 96Cherokee

• Winch Wench
2013 JKU Rubicon
« on: September 05, 2012, 06:11:24 PM »
Good day everyone!  I used to have an old 76 CJ5, and I currently have a '96 Cherokee (with about 385K km), and a recently acquired 94 Cherokee (220K km from my father who's too old to drive now).  We've had both of these since new and love them.  The time has come though to get something new.  I bit the bullet, and finally ordered a 2013 Rubicon!  :)  I guess I'm a jeep guy!  The new one is supposed to arrive in November, and I just want to do a couple of mods to it.  I hope to get out on some of your trips once I get it!

I want to keep most of it stock, because Rubicons are awesome, and I want to get used to what it can do as-is.  I'm used to wheeling the Cherokee stock (with better tires), so having lockers and bigger wheels should be great to start with.  What I do want though is a new front bumper and winch.  I'm looking at the AEV or ARB full width front bumpers, and I'm still debating on what winch to get (8000-9000 lbs?), or there is a 9500lbs Warn winch that's got an air compressor built in it which looks interesting.

My question is where would be the best place to get these items (cost)?  Has anyone had any experience with any of these items?  Has anyone used Quadratec from the US before?  It's cheaper, but once you add shipping... maybe not.

My style of wheeling is not to break anything.  I like choosing the best lines, being technical, and getting from A to B without wrecking anything.  Basically I like practicing as if I'm on an expedition and it's essential that I get to the next checkpoint, or town, and I need to have my vehicle operational to continue.  I like practicing like that, because it is a dream of mine to actually go on some in the future.  And because I'm not made of money!  Anyway, all opinions and suggestions on the new rig are welcome.  Bring it on!

Offline YETI

• Stocker
Re: 2013 JKU Rubicon
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 08:46:09 PM »
Well,

You are in for a lot of fun and probably a lot of upgrades to your rig over time as you wheel it and decide you want to change different things.

I have a 2007, and 2012 Rubicon Unlimited.

I would suggest you consider a mid width bumper. It gives you much of the protection (from animals etc.) of a full width but, opens the front wheels up to crawl up rocks etc. as necessary. I went with the LoD with a small bar because it recesses the winch down into the bumper under the bar which protects it from getting hit.

I went with the Warn VR10000 because you can never have too much winching power and well, its a Warn (it is well built and will last a long time). I personally don't want my winch crapping out on me when I need it (I will be driving my 2012 across Australia in a couple months). The only question is cable or synthetic. I have cable on my 2007 and synthetic on my 2012. My beef with cable especially when it is new that it has to be wound up just right or it binds up and causes all kinds of headaches. Also, it can break and kill someone, and it is heavier to pull (not a big deal in my opinion). My conern with synthetic is I have actually seen 4 break now in just over a year of wheeling. Maybe this is unusual. I don't know. The key to this is you can do a trail repair to synthetic but, you need the 'kit'and need to know how to do it. Bottom line, I would go with synthetic because it is easier to handle and I think the breaks I have seen have been unusual.

As far as other mods, we could talk for days...

There are many people on this forum that know far more than I do and they are more than willing to give you sound advice.

Have fun building and wheeling your new Jeep.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 09:18:48 PM »
Wheel it stock.

Bumpers....anything except the ARB. ARB makes good stuff....but you'll hate life if you actually need to use your winch. Speaking of winches, don't get the Powerplant. Buy a winch put it on your bumper. Buy a compressor, put it under your hood, or buy a Powertank. Other mods....don't go there yet. As long as you take the time to understand what your rig can already do (and you have a winch), you'll do just fine. The only must-have other than a winch is an evap (or just relocate the evap canister to a place that is less vulnerable).
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline VooDoo

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 09:24:36 PM »
Agree.....I have a 2012 rubi and you will be floored at what it can do stock.  My suggestion would be to go out with some one that has a winch a few times before you do any thing to it . That will give you a really good idea of what you will need and want.
Shh.....Don't tell my wife I did that!!!

Offline 96Cherokee

• Winch Wench
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 12:19:04 AM »
Thanks everyone so far!  I will start looking into a mid-width bumper.  I'll have to do some research on the synthetic vs. cable.  YETI - That's exciting about driving your jeep across Aus!  That's the kind of thing that I want to get into.  I'll have to PM you for more info on that.

I do want to leave most things stock for now to get used to the vehicle's capabilities.  I know my current jeep like it's an extra limb attached to me.  I do know however, that I will want a winch, and a new front bumper eventually, so I might as well get that now.  I'm also looking into roof racks (the full length expedition style that you can use with the soft top/no top and  bolts to the windshield brackets and just above the rear bumper).  Does anyone have one of those?  I've seen a few wranglers around town with them.

Thanks for the advice, and keep it coming!

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 08:15:07 AM »
Roof racks tend to get things put on them....which raises your center of gravity...which gets pretty interesting when things are off-camber.

Plus they make it hard to take the top off and thumb your nose at all the guys in XJ's.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline 89cherokee

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 09:57:02 PM »
Roof racks tend to get things put on them....which raises your center of gravity...which gets pretty interesting when things are off-camber.

Plus they make it hard to take the top off and thumb your nose at all the guys in XJ's.

should be fine in a stock rubicon... now in a lifted zj with a spare tire, high lift fuel and all your other junk on the roof, thats a different story lol. seen it first hand this past weekend lol

Offline 96Cherokee

• Winch Wench
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 11:48:47 PM »
Do tell!  Did you see someone tip over? :o
I'm looking at the kind that hinges at the back, so when you unbolt the front, the back hinges up and leaves you room to take off the hard top, or put the soft top up/down.

Offline 89cherokee

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 01:20:08 AM »
Do tell!  Did you see someone tip over? :o
I'm looking at the kind that hinges at the back, so when you unbolt the front, the back hinges up and leaves you room to take off the hard top, or put the soft top up/down.
seen my buddies grand cherokee up on 3 wheels we all had to hop on the one corner to pull it back down to the ground. to prevent him from rolling into 4 feet of mud.  didnt have time to take pics it was kind of an emergency ahha

Offline apeman

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not as grumpy
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 02:17:48 PM »
Well this post has no actual "build up" involved in it, just questions on what to do,so it will be moved to general talk.
Getting grumpier every day.
99 XJ - It's got sum stuff ,Noel free stuff..
98 ZJ - It's just ugly, but bigger than your Rubi

Offline 96Cherokee

• Winch Wench
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 09:35:07 PM »
Ok, it's been awhile, but I'll resurrect this thread.  I've decided on 3 things for my new Rubi, which should be here next month some time.  I'd like some opinions on these:

ARB full width bumper
Warn 9.5 XPs (synthetic rope) winch
Garvin Adventure Rack + Yakima adapters so I can use all my old stuff

Any thoughts or comments or regrets from anyone that has any of the above?

After that's all done, I'd like to join in on any of the trail outings!

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 07:52:31 AM »
I remember a guy on here a couple of years back who had the ARB bumper.  He had some very close tolerances between the winch and the grill.  Just something to be aware of...
04 TJ Rubi

Offline 96Cherokee

• Winch Wench
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 10:01:53 PM »
Ok good to know.  I'll have to look into that!