Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Sat oct 27  (Read 6521 times)

Offline mrbeggins

• Budget Lift
Re: Sat oct 27
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2012, 06:54:31 PM »
I agree with James (redsonja). I am with the toyota group that pre-ran TOTW after the snow fall for tomorrows big event , and i can absolutely guarantee you, you will be using a winch to get up the first set of ledges. It is extremely slick...hard to even walk down slick. There was another 2 trucks that went out last night to finalize the pre run and couldnt make it past the ledges. Yes they could have used the winch, and a heavy foot for that matter, but who really wants to beat the squirt out of there vehicle just so that there ego doesnt get smashed. At the end of the day we all want to go home in once piece and have dinner with are families.  Think smart and drive smart. I highly recommend choosing another trail other than TOTW. After reading i understand that there is no trail set in stone yet, im simply giving a heads up.

As for Fisher West a few Toyota guys ran it last weekend and had a few challenging spots. And that was with a skiff of snow. Let alone the 4" inches that are out there now. We actually ran into a group of 3 jeeps who had to turn around on the ledges of FW due to a broken axle. 

Be safe everyone!!

Tanner

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2012, 07:04:33 PM »

As for Fisher West a few Toyota guys ran it last weekend and had a few challenging spots. And that was with a skiff of snow. Let alone the 4" inches that are out there now. We actually ran into a group of 3 jeeps who had to turn around on the ledges of FW due to a broken axle.  

Be safe everyone!!

Tanner

Lol that was Vodoo, Heeps and myself, I was the broken one  ;D I probably wouldn't have broken if there was 4" of snow...none of the slip slip, grip, hop land snap bull crap that went down would have happened. I was doing the ledge on the right of that hill.....snow makes it interesting.

Totw may not be doable without a winch, but lots of trail is. That is atleast half the fun figuring things out and  having to drive your rig and use your equipment
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 07:22:06 PM by Jrama »

Offline VooDoo

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2012, 08:12:59 PM »
Agreed.... Lady VooDoo and I will miss you tomorrow.
Shh.....Don't tell my wife I did that!!!

Offline mrbeggins

• Budget Lift
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2012, 08:49:36 PM »
well im glad everyone made it out ok!! have fun out there everyone!!

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2012, 10:34:32 PM »
I've gotten a trail report from Maclean from the yota club. They have canceled a annual big members run this sat night because Maclean is apparently very dangerous.
A good layer of ice is covered by very saturated snow. Apparently even the usual tame rocks make for extremely dangerous climbs. Chances or accidents and rollovers are high.
I was there when it started snowing last sat and it got sketchy. The guys I was with have this report and said it is way way worse.
Based on that I am leaning heavily to go find a MTN to ski down instead of roll my truck down.

James, I respect your heads-up on the trail conditions ,and I took it into account before 3 friends and I headed out this early afternoon. You have to ask yourself who Trails of the Crypt was catering to. Was it for people like Meghan with their mostly stock Daily Drivers or for guys like Gherra ? It was wise of them to cancel that family -oriented event, but I was just out at Maclean and found it to be no different than any other time I've wheeled in Winter. Snow was ranging from a few inches to bumper height on my XJ.  A lot of the hills had tracks running up them so I knew it was doable. Hills that I usually crawled-up now needed copious  wheelspeed( aka 4000+ RPM assaults) and 2 in our group went up on the rope. We ALL have new body damage and one driveshaft u-joint exploded . It was slushy and cold but completely doable in a well equipped rig and experienced driver. Air pressure in the single digits and wheelspeed buddy. I don't recall anybody crawling over hills that are snow/ice covered. Ever see a dedicated snow rig in Kelowna or Kamloops area? They run over 400 horse and huge flotation tires. 

I understand your point about Tread Lightly as well. I lock front and back as often as I can so I don't needlessly spin in ruts, and I know my rigs limits. I'm not above using my winch or taking a strap. I've always stuck to " slow as possible and as fast as necessary" when encountering an obstacle. Don't take the gentle ribbing to heart . I have no brand loyalty and am glad to see all responsible users of any make/model enjoy our trails this winter.

Cheers.
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg

Offline Redsonja

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2012, 07:24:34 AM »
James, I respect your heads-up on the trail conditions ,and I took it into account before 3 friends and I headed out this early afternoon. You have to ask yourself who Trails of the Crypt was catering to. Was it for people like Meghan with their mostly stock Daily Drivers or for guys like Gherra ? It was wise of them to cancel that family -oriented event, but I was just out at Maclean and found it to be no different than any other time I've wheeled in Winter. Snow was ranging from a few inches to bumper height on my XJ.  A lot of the hills had tracks running up them so I knew it was doable. Hills that I usually crawled-up now needed copious  wheelspeed( aka 4000+ RPM assaults) and 2 in our group went up on the rope. We ALL have new body damage and one driveshaft u-joint exploded . It was slushy and cold but completely doable in a well equipped rig and experienced driver. Air pressure in the single digits and wheelspeed buddy. I don't recall anybody crawling over hills that are snow/ice covered. Ever see a dedicated snow rig in Kelowna or Kamloops area? They run over 400 horse and huge flotation tires. 

I understand your point about Tread Lightly as well. I lock front and back as often as I can so I don't needlessly spin in ruts, and I know my rigs limits. I'm not above using my winch or taking a strap. I've always stuck to " slow as possible and as fast as necessary" when encountering an obstacle. Don't take the gentle ribbing to heart . I have no brand loyalty and am glad to see all responsible users of any make/model enjoy our trails this winter.

Cheers.

I agree with you. That run is a family oriented run with some not as experienced as others. I'm glad you went for a run and have an updated report. Very cool of you.

My point is not to deter someone from going, just to give information so that maybe they can better prepare or choose trails accordingly.

And try wheeling in a diesel with gears. U crawl over almost everything. Rpms barely ever go over 2000. Just gotta love the little puffs of black smoke

Sent from my atari using Tapatalk

Offline VooDoo

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2012, 07:44:31 AM »
Ok so no one actually said they are coming. I'm heading out at 8:30 to get out there for 9:30 my number is 403-909-2306 and we will be on chan 4
Shh.....Don't tell my wife I did that!!!