Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: wheeling tool repair kit  (Read 4955 times)

Offline Joe Dirt

• Winch Wench
  • Over it..Threw it.. Never around it!!!
wheeling tool repair kit
« on: November 04, 2012, 06:21:29 PM »
I want to put together a basic tool repair kit for wheeling with out packing a ton of weight.
please chimein with your ideas and advice

Cheers
Joe Dirt!! That's right... You heard it... I am here.. AND I DONT DRIVE NO HEMI!!!

98 XJ - 5 1/2" lift - 33's - 10,000 lb winch - Eaton Front Diff Locker - Detroit Rear Diff Limited Slip - Rubicon springs - Dana 44 Axle/Diffs w/ Warn locks - Irock T ca

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
Re: wheeling tool repair kit
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 08:53:16 PM »
Why would I want a repair kit for my wheeling tools?  

I'd say one of the best jacks to bring is that all mighty bottle jack and a block of wood, it is compact, powerful and has many uses in tight places. Set it up right and they are pretty damn stable. I used to haul around a small floor jack but that was seriously obnoxious.

Exhaust jacks are light, very portable and they do in-fact work....and when properly operated pretty much win. Altough I have been in more than one situation where they were more pain then they were worth.

Hi-lifts are scary...

Most versatile tool? the winch by far.....You can also use it as a jack in the right situation and it holds tighter than any ratchet strap.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 08:58:59 PM by Jrama »

Offline BUKI

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Project Fugly
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 08:55:41 PM »
duct tape and bailing wire ;)

I had to :D

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 10:03:07 PM »
basic kits will vary depending on what you think you'll need.

my basic 'kit' includes my socket set which i strap to my spare, a small array of screw drivers, and other specialty tools for fixing stuff on the trail. (36mm socket, 12 point sockets etc)
air compressor for airing up.
couple bottle jacks and wood for em. i gave up on high lift
spare parts; for me these include 3x ujoints, a wheel bearing, spare D30 axles, driveshafts F/R, (i don't carry them with me though; keep em at home) balljoints, spider gears for the rear 8.8, brake lines, various fluids, jumper cables, fire extinguisher, first aid kit and a big ole' moving blanket that i lay on iif i need to wrench under the jeep.  chain saw if i feel like it ;) or the axe.
and yes duct tape
shot guns, rifles, and ammo can be added if the zombpocalypse starts on dec 21st.
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 10:52:45 PM »
duct tape and bailing wire ;)

Ya know this is standard equipment on a locomotive. along with a giant pry bar, and a hammer / chisel. Not actually a bad idea. You would be surprised how many train parts get fixed with bailing wire to get us across the road so why not a jeep!

Get a canadian tire socket set. They go on sale all the time, and just keep it in the back. One with spark plug sockets and different extensions would come in very handy if your ever in a bind.
I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 12:03:07 AM »
Add a Ratchet strap or two, a shovel and flash light to the above...wait you have enough light so scratch the flash light!
02' Black TJ Apex on 33s, 2.5"  OME HD lift, Currie JJ CA on all four corners, 4:10 axles, Husky-Liner Rear Swing-Away Bumper and Bushwackers Flat Flares.

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
Re: Re: wheeling tool repair kit
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 06:38:01 AM »
There's only a handful or so of sockets you actually need to fix a Jeep. Those are the only ones worth carrying, the rest of the set is dead weight. You can get your entire tool kit to fit under your seat if you only carry what you actually need. Saves room for sh*t tickets ;)

Offline Joe Dirt

• Winch Wench
  • Over it..Threw it.. Never around it!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 11:13:58 AM »
Thanks for all the input guys.. I appreciate it
Joe Dirt!! That's right... You heard it... I am here.. AND I DONT DRIVE NO HEMI!!!

98 XJ - 5 1/2" lift - 33's - 10,000 lb winch - Eaton Front Diff Locker - Detroit Rear Diff Limited Slip - Rubicon springs - Dana 44 Axle/Diffs w/ Warn locks - Irock T ca

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 11:54:28 AM »
Or just build some storage. ;D

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 12:02:23 PM »
Sorry for the hijack...  Fraser, how are the drawer slides holding up?  I'm building some drawers as well and my only concern was drawers slides.  I got some pretty HD ones.
04 TJ Rubi

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 12:22:24 PM »
Still 100% fine, even in the cold.

I have a 200pc socket set, first aid kit, 2 safety triangles, a few u-joints and chem lights in one and all the revocery stuff and compressor stuff in the other. I used 100lb slides, they were like $20 each at HD.

Offline Redsonja

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 12:24:31 PM »
Still 100% fine, even in the cold.

I have a 200pc socket set, first aid kit, 2 safety triangles, a few u-joints and chem lights in one and all the revocery stuff and compressor stuff in the other. I used 100lb slides, they were like $20 each at HD.

Good to know. I was looking at some slides from lee valley but they sure bend u over on the price. I'm in the design phase of rear drawers. I have a lot of gear in the back and some free space will be very welcome

Sent from my atari using Tapatalk

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 12:36:42 PM »
I picked up mine from Lee Valley.  Good hear that they are holding up.   Thanks Fras.
04 TJ Rubi

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 07:00:33 AM »
Personally Im a weight Nazi, so I wouldnt do stuff like drawers and what not, what ever works for you. Sure looks nice and neat.

I agree with the bottle jacks, basic sockets, a small snipe, a few fluids, hammer, couple screw drivers, vice grips, bit of wire, fuses, couple rachet straps, and a big one I always have that I didnt see mentioned is a tire plug kit.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline XJHERO

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Soberphobic
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 03:07:55 PM »
a new one for my list I think will be some welding rods.
Like ivry soap....pure as frack
DD
Get at me Wolf