Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Okay...final tally for direct ordering and UPS costs for UCF...not bad  (Read 6606 times)

Offline RACKMAN

• That CB Yapper
Re: Re: who sells Clayton Offroad products locally?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 11:09:46 AM »
Hey few questions since I'll be down the same road shortly;

Were you interested in the aluminum or just the steel?

Did you ever price out the difference in shipping between the steel and alu?

Was ups their only option for shipping and would you mind sharing what they got ya for on customs and fees even if its just through a pm ;) I'm guessin it was just gst since it was American made but it is ups afterall.

Definately share your experience with it, dieing to make a decision here and get crackin.
No, I wasn't overly concerned about the weight savings of the aluminum(on the jeep or in terms of shipping cost), so I didn't feel it was worth the extra cost. UPS was the only shipping kind offered on the UCF site, but I didn't make any inquiries about if they could ship USPS or something(I wanted to get the stuff in a short amoubt of time, if you are willing to wait, maybe they can use USPS or something). Matt, the owner( I think), was really helpful on the phone to me with all my questions and offered me a 10% discount on the parts...I had e-mailed him about the promotion they were running which involved FREE UPS shipping on all orders over $300, but it was only free shipping in the US, so I ask if he could do something for me in Canada. So he gave me a 10% discount...better than nothing. The Promotion is on until the end of Jan, so maybe he will do the same for other Canadians...I don't know, all you can do is ask. The UPS truck should be here friday jan 25th and then I will be able to answer your qyestions about total brokerage/GST/other fees cost.

RACKMAN
2005 Jeep LJ Rubicon. 2012 Ram 2500 Cummins 4X4 Crewcab.

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
Re: who sells Clayton Offroad products locally?
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2013, 11:38:05 AM »
if you order all the things in life you want from the USA. most companies do free shipping within the USA. Because i camp close to a Montana shipping outlet, i just go pick it all up at once.
If you can justify a days drive and gas to the Coutts border crossing, they have a MSO there as well and hold all your packages for either 3-7 dollars per package for unlimited time.

You pay GST when you bring it across but there are no other hidden charges and you can buy as much as you want, no limit on dollar amount. Just claim it all, have great receipts and a sheet adding it all up (less any shipping you may have paid).

sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline wyattjo

• Baby Wheeler
Re: Re: Re: Re: who sells Clayton Offroad products locally?
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2013, 11:42:47 AM »
Hey few questions since I'll be down the same road shortly;

Were you interested in the aluminum or just the steel?

Did you ever price out the difference in shipping between the steel and alu?

Was ups their only option for shipping and would you mind sharing what they got ya for on customs and fees even if its just through a pm ;) I'm guessin it was just gst since it was American made but it is ups afterall.

Definately share your experience with it, dieing to make a decision here and get crackin.

I bought a bumper from rough country a while back and ups charged me an extra 85 on top of shipping for brokerage fees

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 09:03:33 AM »
Brokerage is usually about 40-60 bucks, plus they collect the GST at the same time. So all in all you are looking at saving 250$ if you do a borader run.

Or if you can convince Stan to start dealing UCF he would ship to you for nothing.

Did anyone try Barry at Beartrax? He was dealing UCF. I know thats why Stan wasnt, as not to step on Barry's toes, but if you guys arent talking to Barry, then you should get Stan to start doing UCF.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
Re: Re: who sells Clayton Offroad products locally?
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2013, 09:23:06 AM »
I'm just more curious as to what UPS will charge to figure out and pay what I already know. American made, GST only. UPS is a complete rip off and preys on people not knowing what needs to be payed and not payed.

Good example of how UPS works, I ordered a bike from Ireland. Complete bikes have a duty of 30%, no duty on bike parts so I ordered the bike without wheels to save the $1200 in duty. UPS charged me $1550 for duty, gst and broker fees. Even after getting paperwork from Canada Customs proving duty was not paid it took me just over a year to get my 1200 bucks refunded from them. They count on people being ignorant to their rights. Even the $200 they charged to broker was completely insane but I sucked it up. If they shipped royalmail and it landed here via Canada Post, it would have cost me exactly $156, gst and broker fee.

Ordering American made parts is extremely easy, its called NAFTA and I'm just curious how they try and bilk an obvious duty free shipment like this. Canada Post via USPS would cost the gst and a $6 per package brokerage fee on this particular shipment from ucf.

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: who sells Clayton Offroad products locally?
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 09:29:17 AM »
I bought a bumper from rough country a while back and ups charged me an extra 85 on top of shipping for brokerage fees

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

I'm pretty sure Rough Country manufactures in Taiwan, if they did, duty would be paid in that fee.

Offline RACKMAN

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 10:50:01 AM »
Bend over

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html
Yep...but in my opinion, better than waiting 12 WEEKS or more to have local shops bring it in...that's the REAL joke here.

RACKMAN

Offline RACKMAN

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 10:56:50 AM »
Brokerage is usually about 40-60 bucks, plus they collect the GST at the same time. So all in all you are looking at saving 250$ if you do a borader run.

Or if you can convince Stan to start dealing UCF he would ship to you for nothing.

Did anyone try Barry at Beartrax? He was dealing UCF. I know thats why Stan wasnt, as not to step on Barry's toes, but if you guys arent talking to Barry, then you should get Stan to start doing UCF.
I contacted Stan just as I contacted all the other local suppliers I could think of(didn't know about this Beartrax though)...same story...AT LEAST 8 weeks and with his mark up, not all that much more expensive to order direct from UCF and have product in a week. Stan's price quote to me for the exact stuff I ordered direct was $860 including tax to my door. So my cost ordering direct is $580 plus shipping, GST, and brokerage...don't think it will come out to very much more than the $860 quoted to me from Stan at Northridge. Maybe I'm wrong...will know in a couple days.

RACKMAN

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 11:15:11 AM »
Sounds like UCF isnt cutting Stan a break for being a dealer. Thats always been a problem with offroad companies. Which is why it pays to check direct.

King shocks is the same way. Thats why few people deal them. They sell cheaper direct.

My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline RACKMAN

• That CB Yapper
Re: Okay...final tally for direct ordering and UPS costs for UCF...not bad
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2013, 02:50:33 PM »
Okay...total all in cost for UCF Extra Clearance Tcase skid 3/16" carbon steel, Engine Skid 1/4" carbon steel, LoPro Tranny mount, shipping, GST, and brokerage....$890. ONLY $30 bucks more than the quote from Northridge 4X4 and cheaper than ALL other local shops I contacted. I guess this is one time when ordering direct from the States was better. Also of course I got the product in 1.5 weeks verses 8-12 weeks I was quoted from various shops.

RACKMAN

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2013, 04:13:21 PM »
Funny I did the exact same thing last spring...went with aluminium because...well the shipping was noticeably cheaper plus aluminium is pretty neat. I think it worked out like an extra 90ish? for aluminium over steel for both the engine and tranny skid once shipping was accounted for. Don't remember what brokerage was like..... don't remember anything really unexpected. The low pro is a good call....serious pita to install otherwise...it will work..but it shifts everything forward so I had to bend the shifter to keep it from hitting the dash.... I'm running mine with no low-pro and no mml....

and yeah I found that the Savvy when considering all the components you get is really not much more than the UCF if you order all the extras
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 04:36:27 PM by Jrama »

Offline RACKMAN

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2013, 07:02:55 PM »
Brokerage was only $70 bucks. As for Savvy, the price I seen for the belly up system was $1100...so with shipping and GST and brokerage on that I would be at much more than $890...it would be close to $1400. Maybe $500 bucks isn't a big deal to some, but to me it is. Also, I already had BL and mml installed a long time ago...so again, for me UCF carbon steel TT and engine skid was the way to go. I couldn't be happier with the quality of the UCF stuff as well. Very nice. As for the LOPRO mount...ya, I didn't really need it as I,m not tucking up super high, but my thought was anything I can do to improve driveline angles is a good thing and the Lopro mount will also make it easier to eliminate any driveline vibrations and make any rear pinion angle adjustments less severe.

RACKMAN

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2013, 01:26:27 PM »
The difference between the companies is not 500 bucks Justin. The difference for you is 500 because you wanted steel, and already have a mml and body lift.

Just saying. You keep on talking like savvy is more money then UCF. They arent. If you want the same thing from UCF that you get from savvy, its the same money.

Its like comparing shortblock to longblock crate motors and blaming the long block guy for being more money because you already own and intake and set of heads.

Just order the short block. Which is what you did, but I dont understand why you keep telling people SAVVY is so much more money then UCF.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline RACKMAN

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2013, 06:58:49 PM »
The difference between the companies is not 500 bucks Justin. The difference for you is 500 because you wanted steel, and already have a mml and body lift.

Just saying. You keep on talking like savvy is more money then UCF. They arent. If you want the same thing from UCF that you get from savvy, its the same money.

Its like comparing shortblock to longblock crate motors and blaming the long block guy for being more money because you already own and intake and set of heads.

Just order the short block. Which is what you did, but I dont understand why you keep telling people SAVVY is so much more money then UCF.
No...that's not what I'm saying. If  I'm coming across that way, I'm sorry. I guess I should put it a different way...Savvy doesn't even offer a less expensive steel version of their system to compete with other companies steel versions of  belly ups...there, is that better.