Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: what winch to get?  (Read 2088 times)

Offline johndeeretimex

• Baby Wheeler
what winch to get?
« on: January 27, 2013, 04:42:29 AM »
Just Empty Every Pocket!!!

Now thinking about getting a winch but not sure on what one I will need so need some help! I have a 2012 jk  8) Just looking for info on why type of winch I would need. Would like to get a warn one and not sure on the rope or wire? and I am planing on mounting it right onto the stock bumper if that make any difference. Trying to keep it all stock for now ::)

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
Re: what winch to get?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 08:24:13 AM »
a 9.5k should be fine.  Synthetic is nice but by no means required.   Save a few bucks and get wire.  You will need some sort of mounting plate as well.   
04 TJ Rubi

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 03:27:16 PM »
^^What he said.

Warn is not the only choice by any means - some folks here have done very well with KingOne winches....but I don't know anyone who's regretted buying a Warn. An 8K might be a little on the small side for a JK, but it works for some folks. A 9.5K will be just fine for a JK.

You will need a mounting plate in order to put a winch on the stock bumper, and you will probably have to cut into the plastic portion on the stock bumper a little.

Synthetic cable is great - I can't ever see myself going back to steel cable....but it's by no means a must-have. Understand that if you buy synthetic cable right from Warn, you'll be charged in body parts. Other sources sell what is essentially the same synthetic line for much more attractive prices.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Drambuie89

• Budget Lift
  • Project Agent Orange
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 07:14:35 PM »
I bought the Warn VR8000S for my TJ. No regrets on the winch but I do wish I would have bought steel - sold the cable - then picked up am amateel blue line or  something similar. Agreed that 9500 or 10000 would be the route for a JK.

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 07:20:41 PM »
The Warn Zeon is Warns new line of winches. Really good bang for the buck, the 10K version with synthetic line would handle anything a JK 4 door could get into. If you have a 2 door the 8K would work fine. I recommend a winch bumper as well with the low profile mount as opposed to mounting it above the bumper. But your call in the end. Once you have a winch you'll love it.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline JENSSEN

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Racing For The Cure
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 07:27:58 PM »
Still like the King one and if it's just you the synthetic line is the cats arse,.. I never had issues with the warn other than the battery draw that the king one doesnt seem to do.

Too bad jay left Chanda,.. Unless he took the king one line with him
www.racingforthecure.ca

Definition of Link to this definition of Blasphemy
1. [n] blasphemous behavior; the act of depriving something of its sacred character;

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
Re: Re: Re: what winch to get?
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 08:34:09 PM »
Still like the King one and if it's just you the synthetic line is the cats arse,.. I never had issues with the warn other than the battery draw that the king one doesnt seem to do.

Think he has access to them again

Offline LEMON-AID JAY

• That CB Yapper
  • Bad a$$ zj owner
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 10:18:26 PM »

Yes I have the kingone dealership. If you're looking for a great winch at a great price give me a call at E-mortal. 403-265-6669
E-mortal customs
Www.e-mortalcustoms.com
3-2808 Ogden road s.e.
E-mail. [email protected]
Phone 403-265-6669
E-mail @ [email protected]
for all your 4x4 needs

www.piratesof4x4.com

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
Re: Re: what winch to get?
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 10:33:27 PM »
Warn is not what it used to be. I picked up a Kingone from Jay for around half what I woulda spent on a Warn and have been real happy with it. Snapped the main shaft on its first pull and learned the first reason I was happy with my decision, Jay had it back to me in one day, good luck with Warn in that department. Since then its done a crap ton of nasty pulls, some on completely mired 1 tons without issue. Pick up the wireless remote as well, itll also cost about a 3rd of Warns version.

Offline vantagetes

• That CB Yapper
  • Edmonton Trail Rated
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 03:00:23 AM »
I have like 5 in my garage. Come shopping.

Offline johndeeretimex

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 08:57:04 PM »
well thanks for all the info but does anyone know where i could find a mounting plate in order to put a winch on the stock bumper?

Offline LEMON-AID JAY

• That CB Yapper
  • Bad a$$ zj owner
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 09:41:55 PM »
well thanks for all the info but does anyone know where i could find a mounting plate in order to put a winch on the stock bumper?
we can help you with that too. We have one in stock E-mortal customs 403-265-6669
E-mortal customs
Www.e-mortalcustoms.com
3-2808 Ogden road s.e.
E-mail. [email protected]
Phone 403-265-6669
E-mail @ [email protected]
for all your 4x4 needs

www.piratesof4x4.com

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
Re: Re: Re: what winch to get?
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 10:45:16 PM »
we can help you with that too. We have one in stock E-mortal customs 403-265-6669

Oh?  What do you have?  Might be interested if this guy isn't.

Offline vantagetes

• That CB Yapper
  • Edmonton Trail Rated
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 01:00:09 AM »
One or two M8000s
8274 I'm thinking about turning into a -60

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 02:58:43 AM »
8274 I'm thinking about turning into a -60

GIGGLEPIN EM!!!!!  ;D
I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD