Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: sipping tires?  (Read 3392 times)

Offline Moezer

• That CB Yapper
sipping tires?
« on: February 06, 2013, 11:10:51 PM »
Hey guys so i just bought some supers wampers and im thinking of siping the middle thread on them does any one have a machine i can barrow? or buy ya a case of beer?

this is a pic of my tire

thanks

Offline vantagetes

• That CB Yapper
  • Edmonton Trail Rated
Re: sipping tires?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 11:48:47 PM »
That is a arm workout and a half, and a lot longer than you think. Give yourself lots of time!

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 11:50:16 PM »

I'll save you the trouble.

I'm going to assume that you already own a good utility-knife or box cutter. Use a new blade and find a small stool to sit on. Push the blade away from you and across the treadblock. Use your thumb to aid on the backside of the blade. Set your blade depth to cut almost 3/4 the height of the treadblock.  It won't look like you've accomplished much until you've driven on the tire and have applied the brakes a few times, so the sipes open up.

HTH
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 06:22:55 AM »
Here is one of mine.
Took me about 45 minutes a tire on a warm day using an olfa blade. Use one with the little twist knob on the side to lock down the blade for better depth control. The extra traction made it worth while.

Offline Moezer

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 12:11:53 PM »
i have seen the knife cutting on youtube thats a good idea, how about grooving?

some thing like this

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 01:00:55 PM »
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline Moezer

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 02:08:36 PM »
lol does any one have the heating gun machine>?

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 09:59:04 PM »
lol does any one have the heating gun machine>?

Yup.
I've got a commercial-grade Van Alstine and an Ideal Heated grooving iron.  I've lost count on how many miserable Interco tires I've grooved and/or siped over the last 3 years. There's a few designs based off the Tennessee-cut I've done, and I've gone all the way to the Aetna-cut( not recommended for the street). I've got several different head and blade sizes ta boot . Each Swamper takes me about 30-45 minutes and it's murder on a guy's elbow.

Sorry, but I don't lend out specialty tools anymore, and I don't drink but I'll cut them for a carton of smokes . Yes, that sounds ghetto.

Try your tires out first before you decide to get them cut and see how you like them. Are they bias-ply? Skip on the wheel weights and balance them with airsoft bb's.
Lockers

Offline Moezer

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 10:17:37 PM »
Yup.
I've got a commercial-grade Van Alstine and an Ideal Heated grooving iron.  I've lost count on how many miserable Interco tires I've grooved and/or siped over the last 3 years. There's a few designs based off the Tennessee-cut I've done, and I've gone all the way to the Aetna-cut( not recommended for the street). I've got several different head and blade sizes ta boot . Each Swamper takes me about 30-45 minutes and it's murder on a guy's elbow.

Sorry, but I don't lend out specialty tools anymore, and I don't drink but I'll cut them for a carton of smokes . Yes, that sounds ghetto.

Try your tires out first before you decide to get them cut and see how you like them. Are they bias-ply? Skip on the wheel weights and balance them with airsoft bb's.

well i only want to do the center grove not the side lugs I just want to cut the arrow in half that wouldnt take long alo i would be changing the rims that they are on right now adding them to a 11.5 wide rim

ill do the groving my self and get ya 2 packs of smoke and u can smoke while i grove lol

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 10:43:48 PM »

Hmmmm?

There is a cheaper way( and I know you'll like that), but I'm sure you already have access to an angle grinder. Use a dust-mask and safety goggles  as burning rubber is noxious and carefully cut the center lugs in any fashion you wish as long as it's straight. Pay close attention to the depth at which you cut. I've watched one guy do this and the results weren't too bad. It was smokey  as f_ck in the garage but it was cheap as borscht to do.

Just an option.
Lockers

Offline Moezer

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 11:12:33 AM »
Hmmmm?

There is a cheaper way( and I know you'll like that), but I'm sure you already have access to an angle grinder. Use a dust-mask and safety goggles  as burning rubber is noxious and carefully cut the center lugs in any fashion you wish as long as it's straight. Pay close attention to the depth at which you cut. I've watched one guy do this and the results weren't too bad. It was smokey  as f_ck in the garage but it was cheap as borscht to do.

Just an option.

ummm i have done sone crazy stuff in my life time but the wife will kill me due to i have a brand new house lol

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 12:09:04 PM »
I have used a sawzall as well. To quick.

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 08:05:59 PM »
a carton of smokes and the OP doing the work sounds like one heck of a bargoon!
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline LLYJ

• UberWheeler
  • carport ghetto fab
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 11:01:08 AM »
Hey Just Curious...

Any argument or reasoning to using a 1/16 vs a 1/4 or vise-versa thickness grinding wheel ? is one better at self cleaning than the other or anything like that ?

I can guess one makes a hell of a lot more smoke !
51 Willys CJ3A - V6, SM420, T18, D44/27 lockers
93 YJ, starting to see light at the end of the carport
98 ZJ, 5.2l - DD with too many go go gadgets
05 Dodge 2500HD hauler

Offline Tyn Pow

• Budget Lift
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 05:28:55 PM »
I used a 1/16" grinding wheel to groove a set of Swampers.

The disc cleaned fine....I think it burns as much rubber as it grinds off so yeah, lots of nasty smoke.