Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: 2013 rubi snorkel or no snorkel?  (Read 5273 times)

Offline pooljunky

• That CB Yapper
2013 rubi snorkel or no snorkel?
« on: June 25, 2013, 09:51:17 AM »
Hey everyone,  my friend is wondering if she needs a snorkel..for her 2013 rubi.. shes going in some pretty deep water and wondering if ahe would need one.. where to go.. and what price range shpuld she look fot.. looking to get it done this week.. any answer would be appreciated.

Thanks

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: 2013 rubi snorkel or no snorkel?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 10:32:46 AM »
ARB and River Raider are the two I'd look at.

As for price, $500-$800 is cheap insurance. I assume she is extending other breathers as well?

Should mention, keep her out of the flood water.

Offline 1stjeep.ro

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 10:49:30 AM »
On my previous Jk i had the AEV Snorkel and it paid for itself almost immediately on some trails.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 11:04:42 AM »
Snorkels looks all cool and hard core....but has your friend really asked herself if she's going to need it?

On a mildly lifted JK, you can ford just about three feet of water without a snorkel. There's a bit of pucker involved, but if you keep the speed down it's fine. In order to make a snorkel worthwhile, you also need to make everything else waterproof - tranny breather, transfer case breather, diff breathers...and how waterproof are the electrics.

Get a snorkel if she wants a snorkel...but it seems interesting that this is getting mentioned the week after a once-in-a-century flood.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 11:10:52 AM »
Snorkels looks all cool and hard core....but has your friend really asked herself if she's going to need it?

On a mildly lifted JK, you can ford just about three feet of water without a snorkel. There's a bit of pucker involved, but if you keep the speed down it's fine. In order to make a snorkel worthwhile, you also need to make everything else waterproof - tranny breather, transfer case breather, diff breathers...and how waterproof are the electrics.

Get a snorkel if she wants a snorkel...but it seems interesting that this is getting mentioned the week after a once-in-a-century flood.

personally I've towed two jeeps out to the mclean store now with seized motors.  both from sucking in water, and both from guys that don't drive like idiots.  and both in spot where water was nowhere near the level of their intake. 

i have changed my tone on snorkels and they are cheap insurance; its easier to change tranny fluid/alternator etc than a motor. 

i'd be more interested to know why you folks with brand new (and assuming financed to the hilt) JKs are going through crap that justifies even thinking of a snorkel........

~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 11:42:50 AM »
I'm not saying that they don't have a purpose....just that a lot people put them on and they really only end up working as CAI's. The price that a lot of people seem to be paying for snorkels will cover the cost of a good used winch. I think you'll get more real use out of a winch than out of a snorkel.

If you drive like an idiot, a snorkel won't necessarily save your rig. Speaking as a guy that's been wheeling a JK for a few years (mine is no longer financed), 90% of the JK's reputation for hydrolocking is caused by the nut holding the steering wheel - and we can probably argue about the last 10%. If you know where you air intake is, you should not be hydrolocking your rig. If you don't know where your air intake is, you probably shouldn't be wheeling your rig - at least during a flood!
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline pooljunky

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 01:35:37 PM »
Any one has heard of Chanda Auto. Accessories?

They are advertising 250 for great quality snorkel with install.. would you concider that?

Thanks for all the feedback.. and this is not for the flood..

Offline BrokenAxle

• That CB Yapper
    • Broken Axle home page
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 03:34:03 PM »
We can get snorkels in.  There have been a high demand for them lately (even before the flooding).  We don't do the cheap chinese made ones, but the good quality ones that will last you!

Let me know.
Dave

Offline JohnB

• Budget Lift
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 07:40:25 PM »
There is something strange with the JK intake that leads to hydrolocking when it does not seem that it should be deep enough...so a proper snorkel is a good idea.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 07:52:51 PM »
There is something strange with the JK intake that leads to hydrolocking when it does not seem that it should be deep enough...so a proper snorkel is a good idea.

Really? What exaclty is strange about it?

Any chance that the "something strange with the intake" is the "intake" of people that have purchased JK's who have limited experience driving off road?

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
Re: Re: 2013 rubi snorkel or no snorkel?
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 11:02:34 PM »
Sounds about right Todd. I think a lot people see YouTube videos of Suzuki's and Hummer submerged past the roof with snorkels. Problem is that those are diesels. If someones gonna bother with adding snorkels on these things. That's the easy part, ignition system will kill you. Especially a cheap arse snap together snorkel like I've seen around, if you can see daylight in between the seams, it ain't doing ship. IMO, if splashing water is the concern, electric fan with bypass and if you wanna get real crazy, pipe the intake to face back towards the firewall or pipe it into the cowl if you can.

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 02:10:13 PM »
both from sucking in water, and both from guys that don't drive like idiots.  and both in spot where water was nowhere near the level of their intake. 

If they weren't driving like idiots, and the water was nowhere near the level of their intake, then how the phuk did they get water in their engine??!!!
Something else is going on there.
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 02:21:27 PM »
Don't pee in the air intake....   
04 TJ Rubi

Offline pooljunky

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 02:55:44 PM »
Wow you guys go way deep in this.. i appreciate it.. thanks again

Offline emortal

• Winch Wench
  • E-mortal customs
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 03:06:54 PM »
I can get you one of the  good quality chinese made ones for 200 plus tax . many guys out there are running them and with no problems .

If your interested give us a call at E-mortal customs
403-265-6669
The Best Is The Least You Deserve !
         E-mortalize Your Ride
E-mail [email protected]