Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Zj long arm plans  (Read 3134 times)

Offline Zombiehunter

• Baby Wheeler
Zj long arm plans
« on: March 24, 2014, 08:13:41 PM »
well iam looking to build my own long arm kit for my rig and was wondering what yall have found or have built   looking for detailed info and  part numbers pros and cons  iam researching my own info atm but fellow wheelers here might have something hidden or built that is tested and true already why fix it if aint broke right  thanks guys/gals

Offline Zombiehunter

• Baby Wheeler
Re: Zj long arm plans
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 08:37:30 PM »
using tj 8 inch from rubicon xpress but thanks whiteout ill read them links

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 08:40:33 PM »
I'm quite sure you already know that the TJ coils will get you closer to 5.5" of lift with the weight you're planning, just figured I'd point it out. Clayton spring rate is 205lb/in

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 08:46:35 PM »
what diffs are you running? 

order up some brackets from claytons. they sell them for most diffs. the frame brackets are set up for a 4 link, and they sell a crossmember for the front arms. use Johnnyjoints. .250 DOM wall (I think) three link the front, triangulated 4 link rear.

i'm assuming you're running some big diffs.  if you're just running a stock front diff and something small like a D44 or 8.8 rear then the off the shelf kit might be a good option. claytons does sell just the long arm upgrades. 

either way its gonna be some big money
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline Zombiehunter

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 08:59:09 PM »
currently  stock ( ill post my potential bui up in build section )  the money is not really what iam worried about its the how well this functions  I plan to take Dana 60 from F350 SD  narrowed with Chromolly shafts and Detroit lockers front and rear with 5.88 gear and 37 military tires

I ran this build up over few shops and all come to the 8 inch tj coils but have never said that about being 5.5 with weight  I even mentoned the engine I plan  I asked about half ton coils that are min of 7 inch  I want 8 inch I know its only an inch  but I wanna keep this as high as possible for flex reasons - ive been wheeling my f350 for last few years and have decied to go smaller cos lets be honest one tons get stuck a lot and not a lot of ppl can assist in the unsticking of it and 650 hp doesn't always get you out just digs u deeperLMAO

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 09:08:30 PM »
I would look very seriously at the Clayton 7" kit then. add a 1" coil spacer to it. 

you can install it on your stock rig, but would be able to add a bracket kit to run it on your new big axles when you go that route. 

plus it will save you a lot of time and effort.  sometimes step by step instructions are nice haha.

Offline Zombiehunter

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 09:20:24 PM »
yea I am gunna read that link that was posted for sure - like being in the company of locals on my diesel site mostly americans and well we don't see eye too eye on much lmao   :P id like too be lifted and  bigger tires before long then build the axles and install for next year 

Offline CatSplat

• Budget Lift
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 09:23:00 PM »
Have you considered buying cLay's running gear from his '93? It's already set up for 37s, complete with axles and Claytons, for a lot less money than you will spend piecing that stuff together.

http://forum.calgaryjeep.com/index.php?topic=28405.0
Jeep of Theseus

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 09:26:18 PM »
Or go with 6" coils and toss in a set of ACOS spacers so you can dial ride height and rake in exactly. That would give you 8" initial lift and the option to dial it back up after everything is weighing it down.

To give you an idea, when my front bumper and winch(~225lbs) went on, I needed about an inch spacer in the front. Installing the rear bumper/tire carrier made me swap from 5.5" coils to 7" coils.

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 08:30:44 AM »

forgot about Clays. here's a link.

if you're serious about going big this is a good first step.

Offline cjust

• UberWheeler
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 08:37:55 AM »

forgot about Clays. here's a link.

if you're serious about going big this is a good first step.

Someone beat ya to the punch, if i had the dough id buy it
J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket

Offline Zombiehunter

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 07:35:25 PM »
I thought about that - still might send a msg on that one but then what fun would it be to buy what someone else already built ( even thou is practically what Iam going after )  how ever  thou the misses wants two rigs lol

Offline Zombiehunter

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 10:52:17 PM »
I would look very seriously at the Clayton 7" kit then. add a 1" coil spacer to it. 

you can install it on your stock rig, but would be able to add a bracket kit to run it on your new big axles when you go that route. 

plus it will save you a lot of time and effort.  sometimes step by step instructions are nice haha.

I looked into this route as you suggested and the research shows this is the path I should go
But as the sleep depravation research goes for me if I install the 7 inch lift coils can I still run the stock arms ? I know roast me that's a noob question but in my defence I haven't had a lot of sleep this week two pups have the poops and my wife is up every cpl hours with sickness from being prego lol

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2014, 11:09:07 PM »
No you can't run 7" of lift with stock arms.  Even if you could you'd twist/bend them the first time out with a tire size matching that lift.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles