Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: The Green Bastard  (Read 3801 times)

Offline GreenBstrd

• Winch Wench
  • '96 XJ - 4.5" R.E. lift - 33"BFG AT
The Green Bastard
« on: June 13, 2014, 02:31:40 AM »
My brother, and I have wanted to build a jeep since we were kids. So just over a year ago we picked something up on the cheap to start.
It started out with a 1990 xj with a 4.5 Rubicon Express lift,  33" BFG AT's on steelies, and a custom front bumper.  Within a few months the motor was toast, so we set out to find a better XJ with a solid power train to swap the lift kit into.  I ended up finding a 96 cherokee sport with minimal rust, and a new motor with less than 150k.

Once the lift was swapped over, it was time to trim the fenders for clearance. Front fenders were cut, and the rear are just cut ,and folded until I have the time to raise the wheel well up a few inches. With clearance issues solved overhead lights, and a C.B were the next to go in.
With stock steering linkage, and 33s it was only a matter of time before something gave out so I ordered a 1-ton steering upgrade from JCR off-road. I got the guys over at Broken Axle to throw on the steering upgrade as well as the Iron rock track bar I ordered.

I will add some pics, and more of what's been done tomorrow when i'm not so tired.

Offline GreenBstrd

• Winch Wench
Re: The Green Bastard
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 12:30:17 PM »
This is the original xj we bought

and here is a picture of the '90 on top with the newly acquired  '96

And after transformation, just before cutting and folding the rear fenders

Offline GreenBstrd

• Winch Wench
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 08:28:21 PM »
Some removable mud flaps were needed for city driving.
First I drilled a couple of small holes in the top plate on either side of my hitch receiver. Then with a 1x1" piece of angle iron I marked and, drilled 2 matching holes. Welded nuts to the top of the holes on the angle iron.  I could then bolt the angle iron onto the plate of the hitch receiver.
 Found a set of mud flaps on clearance at cambodian tire for 20$, and secured them to the angle iron with a few bolts.

I have since trimmed them up a bit so they don't hit the ground all the time.

Here's a shot of the cut&folded fenders, as well as the sweet cowl induction hood I got off Pookapotamus last weekend. All painted up, installed, and looking good

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 09:50:21 AM »

It's looking good. Do you have any plans to add fender-flares for tire coverage ?
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg

Offline GreenBstrd

• Winch Wench
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 06:06:26 PM »
Thanks. I have plans for some custom tube fenders in the near future, I just haven't had the time lately. Plus i'm at the mercy of the weather, not having a garage to work in.

Offline Ostego

• UberWheeler
  • Full Size Jeep
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 09:42:05 AM »
Nice XJ, I noticed is your winch mounted on a hitch receiver.. I was thinking about doing the same on my ZJ so I don't have to toss a big bumper on and can switch from front to back as needed.

How well has it worked out for you, any issues?
'95 ZJ: 3" Budget lift, quick-disconnects, 31x10.5 Savero MT's
'74 J20: 401, Holley Street Avenger 4 barrel, custom  camper.
'75 F100: 351M, 5" Super Lift.

Offline GreenBstrd

• Winch Wench
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 09:10:43 PM »
The one thing I really don't like about the receiver mount is the fact that it ruins your approach angle. I've buried the front of it in the dirt more times than I can count, but other than that I have no problems with it.

Offline GreenBstrd

• Winch Wench
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 10:53:07 PM »
Here's a shot of the 1 ton  steering setup, and the iron rock track bar.

This past weekend I decided to take out the clutch fan, and replace it with a 2-speed taurus e-fan.

I wired the taurus fan to a 3 position switch via 60amp relays. I coated the fan motor, and all around the pigtail connecter with dielectric grease in hopes of helping keep the mud/water out.

Here's the switch for the fan on the left, and the carbon fibre toggle is lights.

Next up is going to be some extended brake lines , new pads up front, and I'm going to start work soon on some tube fenders.

Offline BUKI

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Project Fugly
Re:
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014, 07:35:33 AM »
Nice. Well done

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline GreenBstrd

• Winch Wench
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 12:03:17 AM »
Time to get rid of the nasty carpet, and bedliner the floor.

Found some smallish holes in the floor I will have to patch. Tomorrow i'll finish pulling the carpet up, and get all the holes patched.
Also ended up getting some rear yj fender flares to throw on for the time being before I build tube fenders

« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 12:07:12 AM by GreenBstrd »