Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: 1994 Grand Cherokee problems/build-up  (Read 2017 times)

Offline Matt4x4

• UberWheeler
1994 Grand Cherokee problems/build-up
« on: June 24, 2006, 02:55:35 PM »
Hey I just bought a 1994 Grand Cherokee, and its smoking real bad in the engine compartment. Smells like coolant out of the exhaust. So I figure its a head gasket, water pump or cylinder head. Any other suggestions????

I dont have it home yet to get a real good look at it. But its a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.2L V8 has a automatic transmission, not sure of which one it is, or which TC it is. If you know could you tell me, otherwise I will be surfing the web for a long time. I used to have all the info on IE but my firefox seemed to have deleted all my favorites wiping out all my Jeep info.

Anyways, my plan is to fix whatever problems it has now (get it running flawlessly), main problems = coolant leakage into exhaust manifold, and electrical (no biggie).

It seems with the electrical that the headlights flash along with the blinkers. Its due to a hack wiring job, or security system. So I will try to fix it in a few days, or do a custom job for the headlights, blinkers, reverse bulb. I will do a 3" circular LED brake/signal light for the rear. Like you see on some Jeep CJ/YJ/TJ. I just like the look of them. Try to fab up the stock headlights, along with aftermarket spot lights. And see how I can hook it up to the stock switches. I most likely will rip out the dash and make a custom one anyways. Thats my B plan if I cant fix it back to stock. My blinker switch will be on dash, simple switch setup. Ease of fabrication is what im looking for.

For engine problems. I will replace the water pump (first) head gasket (second), taking a look if there are any cracks in the cyl head. If crack cyl head, I will replace with new one, cost $300 from
http://www.autopartsfair.com/jeep-car_engines/grand_cherokee-catalog.html
engine from same place is $1400

That should eleviate all the current problems. I will take pictures for this build-up. Furute goals will inculde larger axles, lockers, winch. I think if I fix it back to stock, I will just weld the dana 35 rear end. Throw on a costco winch and 35". Sure they might be too big for stock axles, but I aint  buying tires twice. I want 35" in the end. That will probably take new rear springs, front coils and some body trimming.

I would like input on how to lift this thing to throw on 35" tires. And no I dont have cash to burn. I would like it real cheap. In the end I want a capable Grand Cherokee offroad rig with 35" BFG MT's, lift kit, lockers, winch. For $4k-5k. Thats what these things go for stock, in the bargain finder. Yup, I got this thing for real cheap. I would have prefered a 4.0L, because I have worked on them before, but the 5.2L will be more power. Which is what I like, along with the maneuverability of a heep.

Whats your input as to what I should do, its a blank canvas now. $5k to invest over the next 4 months. I think I made a mistake in what forum to put this in. Tech Forum would have been better.

Would a NV4500 to NP231 make sense in a 94 GC? And is there a way to go to some other Auto Trans to hookup to NP205 or other gear driven TC?