Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: 02 jeep tj ticking noise  (Read 1826 times)

Offline bradley

• Budget Lift
02 jeep tj ticking noise
« on: December 12, 2014, 10:21:57 AM »
I have an 02 jeep tj 4 liter, nv3550, np231

There is a loud very distinct ticking noise that happens under any load ( taking off, accelerating on the highway, down shifting and letting the clutch out) and it happens in all 5 gears and reverse. I thot it was the transmission but i replaced it last night and the exact same noise is still happening.

The noise is in time with the spinning of the clutch the slower you go the slower the tick the faster you go the faster the tick.

Its not the front diff cus i can lock the front breaks on ice and keep the rears spinning and the noise doesnt change.

As soon as i get just enough pressure on the clutch to disengage it the noise stops.

Does anybody know if a clutch can fail and make noise under pressure?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 10:32:25 AM by bradley »
2002 jeep tj, 7 inch lift with long arm front and triangulated 4 link rear, 37x12.5x15 maxxis creepy crawler tires, custom front and rear bumpers, 12000 winch, G2 dana 44 front with detroit locker, 44 rear with spool, custom rear skins and flares, sye kit

Offline Dingleberry

• UberWheeler
Re: 02 jeep tj ticking noise
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 10:44:54 AM »
I have an 02 jeep tj 4 liter, nv3550, np231

There is a loud very distinct ticking noise that happens under any load ( taking off, accelerating on the highway, down shifting and letting the clutch out) and it happens in all 5 gears and reverse. I thot it was the transmission but i replaced it last night and the exact same noise is still happening.

The noise is in time with the spinning of the clutch the slower you go the slower the tick the faster you go the faster the tick.

Its not the front diff cus i can lock the front breaks on ice and keep the rears spinning and the noise doesnt change.

As soon as i get just enough pressure on the clutch to disengage it the noise stops.

Does anybody know if a clutch can fail and make noise under pressure?

Did someone shove a playing card between the spokes of your wheel(s) perhaps?

Offline ornamental

• UberWheeler
    • http://www.webshots/users/yeungstreet
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 12:50:28 PM »
Brad, that must mean the tranny install was straight forward :)

Offline BUKI

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Project Fugly
Re: Re: Re: 02 jeep tj ticking noise
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 04:43:40 PM »
Did someone shove a playing card between the spokes of your wheel(s) perhaps?
Lol.
All the cool kids do it.

Offline BUKI

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Project Fugly
Re:
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 04:50:25 PM »
You can rule out wheels, diffs, d shafts, brakes etc if you engage the clutch and the noise dissapears. Something clutch related my guess. Pilot, slave/master not dissengaging all the way. Clutch disk or pressure plate. Maybe a spring on it way out or bent. Did you pull the clutch when you did the trans??  Maybe a twig in the housing??

Offline GiS

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 10:38:01 AM »
Throwout/Pilot bearing .. Do you like to play in the mud? :)

Offline bradley

• Budget Lift
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 10:13:29 PM »
Throwout/Pilot bearing .. Do you like to play in the mud? :)

I dont try to play in mud unless theres a good ledge to climb on the other side or its the only way threw.

Pilot bearing looked good when i swapped the trany and the noise only happens when i am driving, when i push in the clutch it goes away.

I wish i looked closer at the clutch and pressure plate when i had the trany out.

I am pretty sure its the clutch making the clicking noise, I was hoping that someone has had this problem before and verify what i think is wrong before i drop the trany again.

Thanks for the input guy
2002 jeep tj, 7 inch lift with long arm front and triangulated 4 link rear, 37x12.5x15 maxxis creepy crawler tires, custom front and rear bumpers, 12000 winch, G2 dana 44 front with detroit locker, 44 rear with spool, custom rear skins and flares, sye kit