Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Lokka lockers  (Read 7153 times)

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
Re: Lokka lockers
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 10:42:43 AM »
completely different conversation you will open up.

auto locker vs. elocker is a different ball game.

if you are set on an autolocker the lokka saves a few bucks yes.

the preferences between elocker and auto locker will jump this thread by about 10 opinions.
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline DohCanadian

• Stocker
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 01:16:51 PM »
completely different conversation you will open up.

auto locker vs. elocker is a different ball game.

if you are set on an autolocker the lokka saves a few bucks yes.

the preferences between elocker and auto locker will jump this thread by about 10 opinions.

Sorry I should have specified. The e locker in the front is set in my mind, thats not changing. What I'm wondering if this is worth throwing in the back compared to a tru track?

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 02:37:10 PM »
i would say 100% yes.

Offline Dingleberry

• UberWheeler
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2015, 04:47:20 PM »
Compared to a Detroit truetrac? Absolutely yes, I'm with Johnny on that one.
Compared to a regular Detroit full-case locker? Well, that's what I have in the rear of my rig, love it, never hear a damn thing from it, its bulletproof and just works.

The truetrac is a different type of locker than the regular Detroit one, its more like a Limited Slip than a true locker, which is why a lunchbox locker (like the lokka) would be better for off-roading than a truetrac, whereas a rig that sees a lot of pavement as a daily driver might be better off with a truetrac.

Offline DohCanadian

• Stocker
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 05:14:23 PM »
Compared to a Detroit truetrac? Absolutely yes, I'm with Johnny on that one.
Compared to a regular Detroit full-case locker? Well, that's what I have in the rear of my rig, love it, never hear a damn thing from it, its bulletproof and just works.

The truetrac is a different type of locker than the regular Detroit one, its more like a Limited Slip than a true locker, which is why a lunchbox locker (like the lokka) would be better for off-roading than a truetrac, whereas a rig that sees a lot of pavement as a daily driver might be better off with a truetrac.

That's where i'm at the crossroads. My rig will see all of it. Pavement, gravel, mud, ice and snow. I was watching videos of the Aussie and I don't think I would like all the noise they make on the pavement. It's almost worth the couple hundred extra dollars to go with a more behaved tru trac for something that's not a strictly off road rig.

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2015, 05:37:59 PM »

Yeah the locking under acceleration is a much bigger deal than the clicking noise it makes (which isn't bad). I have an Aussie in the front and a E-Locker in the rear....

Can't tell you how bad the rear would be, I would imagine it would be OK. Not great for a DD in the parking lot, might handle a little funky on icy roads at speed and accelerating.... having the rear step out on a short wheel base vehicle  really really sucks. Unless of course if you like donuts ....then its pretty great.

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2015, 07:07:25 PM »
Why not try wavetrac. Works like a truetrac but locks up fully. Front or rear. http://www.wavetrac.net/technical.htm
Or this in the back http://ok4wd.com/shop-by-vendor/kaiser-lockers
This one is one of the stronger full case lockers that engages really smooth.

Offline Dingleberry

• UberWheeler
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2015, 08:08:30 AM »
For what its worth, I've been very happy with the road manners of the full-case detroit locker in the rear diff of my Jeep. That's mainly why I picked it over a lunchbox locker.

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2015, 08:28:05 AM »
For what its worth, I've been very happy with the road manners of the full-case detroit locker in the rear diff of my Jeep. That's mainly why I picked it over a lunchbox locker.

Why would anyone choose a lunchbox style locker? in no particular order

They are CHEEP and the Lokka is the cheepest of the cheep (price wise)

They Work and continue to work No airlines wires or BS Very...very reliable. providing 100% lock     (Like a Detroit!)

You can install them easily in your garage ( you don't have to pay $1500 for a new setup of your diff + the 800 or more most selectable lockers cost)      (Unlike a Detroit!)

They have some road manners

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2015, 08:39:35 AM »
guess it really depends.

i've got a lunchbox in the rear of the YJ right now too. its fine. you hear it click thats about it. doesn't even chirp around corners.  never had a problem in parking lots.  does really cool donuts now too.

there is a solution to solve the clicking noise; i turn the radio up.  besides i barely hear it over all the other sounds the jeep makes.  and if you have a TJ or whatever with the roof and doors on you won't hear it anyways.  only problems i've ever had are in the ice and snow. it likes to kick the rear end out easy.  put it in 4wd and it becomes a tank. unstoppable

selectables like elockers are hands down the coolest option.  

Lokkas are for the cheap crowd; most of us who run them have daily drivers if i recall.  they are ok on the street but i wouldn't be running one in a daily driver that sees 20k a year.  i've done that as well by the way. its not bad, but it wears you out eventually, compensating for everything.

Offline fug

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Airdrie Pick n Pull
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2015, 12:42:11 PM »
Lunch box lockers stick at inopportune times and that can suck.  Install them carefully and use loctite.

Other posts nuked cause I'm drunk with power
Fug
TJ Rubicon