Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: '99 xj shake rattle and roll *Fixed*  (Read 2949 times)

Offline Black Betty

• UberWheeler
'99 xj shake rattle and roll *Fixed*
« on: January 03, 2015, 01:04:04 PM »
So my dad was driving the xj back from ft mcmurray, the alternator went on him between Boyle and ft Saskatchewan, Midas got that replaced for him.  But just before he got to Blackfald, he was doing between 80-85 and something let go causing the whole front end to start shaking.  The steering stays straight, no death wobble.   The jeep does shift from 2H to 4H no problem too.

The shaking starts at 15 km/hr and gets worse the faster you drive.  Took a peak underneath the front end and it appears the steering stabilizer has almost fallen off the draglink.

We got the jeep back home here, i now have to clear some of the garage out to start working on it.  Should be fun in an uninsulated garage with no heat lol.

I will lift the front end up and check all the ujoints, bushings, ball joints etc.  jeep is bone stock.

Just thought I'd check here first to see if anyone has seen this before?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 06:01:44 PM by Black Betty »
06 wk-soccer mom mobile aka Betty J
99 xj- Black Betty, 2" OME lift
94 yj- needs to be lifted aka Betty Rubble

Stupid hurts

Offline EEP

• UberWheeler
Re: '99 xj shake rattle and roll
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 04:24:18 PM »
Check the track bar bolts, both ends. Also the mount to unibody bolts. Mine was loose on axle end and it caused some vibe, wasn't death wobble just a vibration.
01 XJ, RE 3.5" lift, Smittybilt XRC front & rear bumper, X2O 8,000 lb winch, 33" MT/R's
, ARB snorkel, lockers and a bunch of other stuff
06 TJ, 2" lift, 31" Goodyear Territory's.
14 JKU, wife's urban 4X4.

Offline Black Betty

• UberWheeler
Re: '99 xj shake rattle and roll *Fixed*
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 06:00:45 PM »
Got the jeep in the garage finally.  Found both the steering stabilizer had fallen off the draglink, probably due to the shaking, and the front double cardan ball joint exploded.  Bound up the DS bad.  Got quoted $600 to have the driveshaft rebuilt, so instead I picked up a used one and will rebuild it myself.  The one from my jeep is NFG as the area around the stud is mangled now.

Stupid hurts

Offline Dingleberry

• UberWheeler
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 12:39:45 PM »
Got the jeep in the garage finally.  Found both the steering stabilizer had fallen off the draglink, probably due to the shaking, and the front double cardan ball joint exploded.  Bound up the DS bad.  Got quoted $600 to have the driveshaft rebuilt, so instead I picked up a used one and will rebuild it myself.  The one from my jeep is NFG as the area around the stud is mangled now.

Quoted from who, Pat's Driveline?

Try Drive Products near the south end of Barlow Trail close to Deerfoot. Probably closer to ~$200

Offline Black Betty

• UberWheeler
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 01:07:20 PM »
Quoted from who, Pat's Driveline?

Try Drive Products near the south end of Barlow Trail close to Deerfoot. Probably closer to ~$200

That quote was from DSI.

Stupid hurts

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 01:28:45 PM »
That quote was from DSI.

Yeah I have had great pricing through Drive Products or DSI on parts (same thing), Pats is outrageous

Offline dubbleJs

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 04:15:55 PM »
That quote was from DSI.

$600 for one DS??? That's ridiculous, I had my rear DS rebuilt with a new slip, 3 ujoints and had it shortened and balanced for around half that price at Drive products.
'91 XJ - 3" procrap - cutout for 33" MT's  - More and more dents every run...Sold.
'98 XJ - Lifted, locked and lovin' it

Offline EEP

• UberWheeler
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 07:57:30 PM »
I just had my front drive shaft rebuilt at drive products, $300.
01 XJ, RE 3.5" lift, Smittybilt XRC front & rear bumper, X2O 8,000 lb winch, 33" MT/R's
, ARB snorkel, lockers and a bunch of other stuff
06 TJ, 2" lift, 31" Goodyear Territory's.
14 JKU, wife's urban 4X4.

Offline Black Betty

• UberWheeler
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 01:11:22 AM »
Not sure what to say, I brought the whole shaft to DSI, the guy said it was NFG, needed re spline, new top welded on, rebuild, and balance.  He said i was looking at $600.

Bought a used shaft and rebuilt that myself for $120 with new ball socket and ujoints.  Took about an hour.  And it was fun, first time working in my own garage, even forgot it was -10 in there.

Jeep runs great now, we will see what the long term results in.

Stupid hurts

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 08:22:10 AM »
Not sure what to say, I brought the whole shaft to DSI, the guy said it was NFG, needed re spline, new top welded on, rebuild, and balance.  He said i was looking at $600.

Bought a used shaft and rebuilt that myself for $120 with new ball socket and ujoints.  Took about an hour.  And it was fun, first time working in my own garage, even forgot it was -10 in there.

Jeep runs great now, we will see what the long term results in.

that sounds about right.............  a basic rebuild of new ujoints and a ball kit wil be 250$ anywhere.  i've had one done at DSI and Pats. pats was actualy cheaper and done in 4 hours for me. dropped it off at lunch, picked it up after work. 

if the splines are gone the shaft is basically garbage.  and thats when you get yourself a junkyard shaft and do what you did. 
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build