Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: WWJD, Stauns or weld-on rings?  (Read 6171 times)

Offline Dingleberry

• UberWheeler
WWJD, Stauns or weld-on rings?
« on: May 14, 2015, 09:07:11 PM »
So, what would Johnny do? Screw that, he'd sell his Jeep and move to SK :P

What would the rest of you choose?
Staun beadlocks, or weld-on rings?

I have 15" steelie D-window rims.

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
Re: WWJD, Stauns or weld-on rings?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 10:18:02 PM »
Weld ons ;)
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline JENSSEN

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Racing For The Cure
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 10:52:32 PM »
I welded on....
www.racingforthecure.ca

Definition of Link to this definition of Blasphemy
1. [n] blasphemous behavior; the act of depriving something of its sacred character;

Offline Dingleberry

• UberWheeler
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 08:17:20 AM »
Reasons? advantages and disadvantages?

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 08:19:40 AM »
because its the cheapest option you limey bastard!!!!!!

duh
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline JENSSEN

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Racing For The Cure
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 10:33:05 AM »
Reasons? advantages and disadvantages?

Price was a factor, My Wheels still have a DOT stamp,..LOL and I could have them made how I wanted.
www.racingforthecure.ca

Definition of Link to this definition of Blasphemy
1. [n] blasphemous behavior; the act of depriving something of its sacred character;

Offline Dingleberry

• UberWheeler
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 10:41:09 AM »
Price was a factor, My Wheels still have a DOT stamp,..LOL and I could have them made how I wanted.

Ever have issues with the inner bead? Is that not much of a factor for the wheeling around here, more so for rocks like Moab?

Would love to run iroks at 3psi  :D
Jeep is no longer a daily driver, and getting to the point where I tow it out more often than driving it out, so having my wheels slightly out of balance from weld-ons won't be much of a problem.

Definitely leaning towards weld-ons at this point.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 11:32:18 AM »
All of the guys that I know who spent money on Stauns now run actual beadlocks. I have no first-hand experience, but I do know a lot of people that were less than thrilled with the Staun experience.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline rws

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Stump Grinder
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 09:21:59 AM »
All of the guys that I know who spent money on Stauns now run actual beadlocks. I have no first-hand experience, but I do know a lot of people that were less than thrilled with the Staun experience.

So True.

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 08:57:13 AM »
Depending on the rim, some weld ons lose the inners a lot. I did 3 sets back in the day. Two held ok, one constantly lost the inner.

Weld ons are a pretty shitty setup. Of all the beadlock options they are definitely the worst.

There is no self centering of the bead. If the welds dont leak, the tire bead usually does. They are insanely heavy. They have no recess mounting point which makes tightening them up an absolute chore.

Personally I wouldn't recommend running them on anything but a trailer queen.

Swamprat has run the same stauns for almost 10 years. He does ACE, MOAB, and trips to Colorada every year and they have held up so far. He did have trouble getting them set up at first but they have been good since.

The ones Ron set up have been run by a young guy named Simon for three seasons, and he literally wheels his jeep to death. Anyone that spends any time in Mclean has run into Simon and his black rubicon.

The biggest problem with them is getting them set up right. They are usually good after that, unless you let the inner tube run at low pressure. That lets mud into the bead and wears holes in the protective sleeve.

There are new versions of stauns supposedly with improvements over the previous. I'd at least look into them.

Personally, your couldn't give me a set of weld ons to run. But that's just my 2 cents.

Honesty, if you aren't trailoring, the money you save on shitty weld ons would quickly be down the road by doubling or tripling the frequency of unit bearing and ball joint failures.

My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 08:54:59 PM »
Or just get some real beadlocks
04 TJ Rubi

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 07:47:18 AM »
I  had a log come into my rim and rip out the staun valve stem. I had to break the bead on the trail, pull out the staun, and I just so happened to have an extra valve stem with me I was able to install. It was odd thing to happen, but I'm not a fan of stauns because of it.

I've run the 32 bolt weld on bead locks and they are a pain to install and swap tires on IMO. If you don't change tires 3 times a year like I do, they wouldn't be so bad.

Now I have trail ready 8 bolt hummer wheels. I'm set.

Offline Dingleberry

• UberWheeler
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 10:13:17 AM »
Personally I wouldn't recommend running them on anything but a trailer queen.

Honesty, if you aren't trailoring, the money you save on shitty weld ons would quickly be down the road by doubling or tripling the frequency of unit bearing and ball joint failures.

Its a trailer queen. With the next round of upgrades I'm doing, it'll be a permanent trailer queen (as opposed to just a part-time queen).

I have a buddy who's willing to sell me his set of Stauns (unused) because he went with a different rim size.
Seems there's a lot of support for weld-ons, but no-one really gave much technical information as to why (I DID post this in the "Tech Talk" section, didn't I?  ;D )

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 10:36:32 AM »
Cause the people recommending them don't have any technical input to add other than "they are cheap".

Technically, weld ons are the junk of all junk in the world of bead locks. They rank right up there with screwing self tappers through the rim into the bead.

My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline Dingleberry

• UberWheeler
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2015, 12:42:18 PM »
Cause the people recommending them don't have any technical input to add other than "they are cheap".

Technically, weld ons are the junk of all junk in the world of bead locks. They rank right up there with screwing self tappers through the rim into the bead.

So, I'll give the staun's a shot  ;)

Might even give the install job to Eric at Broken Axle, I know how much he'd love that  ;D