Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: 2005 LJ Rubicon Revival  (Read 16187 times)

Offline duck454ss

• Baby Wheeler
Re: 2005 LJ Rubicon Revival
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2018, 09:00:55 PM »
well the engine should be done here by the end of the month.....

anyone interested in helping with an engine swap?

Offline Graveltravels

• Budget Lift
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2018, 03:31:11 PM »
If I was down that way, and not in the middle of my own mess, I'd come give a hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline duck454ss

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2020, 06:53:09 PM »
Well..... Its been forever since i've had an opportunity to post about my build.

After install and initial start up the engine had a tapping sound. Initially we fiured it was the rockers hitting the cover so i bought an aluminum cover. This didnt fix the tapping.... then we machined releifs into the valve cover... didnt help...

we dropped the pan just to see if anything was obviously wrong. found that Cyl 1 piston was able to rock within the cylinder on its own. very un-cool.

this was pretty much a year ago and its been a cluster fk getting things sorted. i'm now ditching the blower idea, staying N/A and going to 10.5:1 CR with new pistons. The bad cylinder only needed a hone job so only one new piston was needed.... but you try getting a single piston from a manufacturer. so now i'm committing to replacing all 6 pistons just to get this pig rolling.

oh and on top of it all christmas day my wheels and tires were solen off my rig while it was parked at the shop...... wooooooo.

i just want to go wheeling.

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2020, 07:12:13 PM »
Glad to see it’s finally getting sorted out and it sucks to hear about losing the tires and rims.
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title

Offline duck454ss

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2020, 06:37:47 PM »
With the whole wheel and tire theft i'm debating on going with 35's or 37's...... i know eventually i'll need to truss and tube the axles to support 37's. but is there reason to step down to 35's till axle reinforcement is done.

I'd also like to run Yokohama X-MT's but not sure if those are too aggressive. Thoughts?

for wheels i'm going to use hutchinson rock monsters. do it once and do it right.

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2020, 07:23:23 PM »
With the whole wheel and tire theft i'm debating on going with 35's or 37's...... i know eventually i'll need to truss and tube the axles to support 37's. but is there reason to step down to 35's till axle reinforcement is done.

I'd also like to run Yokohama X-MT's but not sure if those are too aggressive. Thoughts?

for wheels i'm going to use hutchinson rock monsters. do it once and do it right.

X-MT ‘s are perfect!
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline duck454ss

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2020, 08:54:34 PM »
X-MT ‘s are perfect!

37 X-MT's it is!!!! now to see how long it takes to get them.

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2020, 08:55:13 PM »
The Rock Monsters are great. Really easy to remove the hub caps though. I think I have half of one left.
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline duck454ss

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2020, 08:49:05 PM »
lets see what kind of feed back i can get.

I did some digging around and came to the conclusion that my dynamic compression ratio with a static of 11.25:1 is comparable to a 9.35:1 static with 3-4psi boost. That means with the Edelbrock aluminum head I should be able to get away with medium grade fuel. Below are my numbers and if i'm on the right track and i'm safe with a 0.0285" quench.

9.446" Deck Height
3.910" Bore
3.895" SCAT Crank
6.125" SCAT Rods
0.040" cosmetics MLS gasket (3.950" bore)
1.385" Piston CD
Comp 235 cam (IVC 54 ABDC)

Piston is 0.0115" above Deck
Quench 0.0285"

14cc dish - SCR = 11.25:1 DCR 8.99:1
31cc dish - SCR = 9.35:1 DCR (w/ 3psi) 8.89:1

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2020, 10:21:48 PM »
I wouldn’t be afraid to run 91 octane. It’s costs a little more but if you don’t drive it everyday then you may as well have the most power out of it and enjoy driving it every single time.
Especially when you’re running 37’s! Lol
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline duck454ss

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2020, 10:38:35 PM »
I wouldn’t be afraid to run 91 octane. It’s costs a little more but if you don’t drive it everyday then you may as well have the most power out of it and enjoy driving it every single time.
Especially when you’re running 37’s! Lol

not so much worried about what fuel to run as is 11.25:1 going off the deep end. running premium fuel just means i pack some octane boost if i'm going into areas where i can only get 87.

Offline duck454ss

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2020, 10:58:33 AM »
Yay!!!!!!! semi good news. my pistons have finally been made. or so i'm told. just need them the be shipped from the states.

Offline Grover

• Stocker
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2020, 01:26:53 PM »
Yay!!!!!!! semi good news. my pistons have finally been made. or so i'm told. just need them the be shipped from the states.

Just read your whole thread.. what a journey ;) Hope it all works out in the end.

Who is making your Pistons? Russ Potinger? I'm building a stroker and emailed him a couple times over the last two weeks.. haven't heard anything from him :(

Early in your build I see you were debating what throttle body to go with. What did you end up doing? I've settled on a 68mm tbody from a 4.7 dodge v8. A company called TDS makes an adapter which I should receive early next week. Seems like a good way to go.
https://www.tdsideas.com/store/p2/Throttle_Adapter%2C_Jeep_4.0L_Intake_to_Dodge_4.7L_Throttle.html

Your piston slap experience reminded me of this (stroker with same issue):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAkmlvW9fYA

What machine shop did you use? Did you wind up finding a torque plate?

My build will be pretty tame in comparison. My build thread:
https://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6250

Good luck!

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2020, 07:57:53 PM »

Early in your build I see you were debating what throttle body to go with. What did you end up doing? I've settled on a 68mm tbody from a 4.7 dodge v8. A company called TDS makes an adapter which I should receive early next week. Seems like a good way to go.
https://www.tdsideas.com/store/p2/Throttle_Adapter%2C_Jeep_4.0L_Intake_to_Dodge_4.7L_Throttle.html

Good luck!

I did a 4.6 as well and never bothered with the throttle body, I read up that the stock TJ throttle Body and manifold are already more than capable of flowing enough air for a stroker. I did however spend money on an upgraded cam shaft. I think you are re-using the stock one?

My 4.6 Runs on 87 Octane perfectly fine and is much nicer to drive on the road then the stock 4.0. Even though its not quick by any means.

Offline duck454ss

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2020, 10:00:41 AM »
Just read your whole thread.. what a journey ;) Hope it all works out in the end.

Who is making your Pistons? Russ Potinger? I'm building a stroker and emailed him a couple times over the last two weeks.. haven't heard anything from him :(

Your piston slap experience reminded me of this (stroker with same issue):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAkmlvW9fYA

What machine shop did you use? Did you wind up finding a torque plate?

My build will be pretty tame in comparison. My build thread:
https://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6250

Good luck!

I went with the BBK (edit.. had BDS... they dont make TB's lol) TB because the 05-06 went to a different IAC set up and makes things finecky.

Russ is a solid dude and is swamped lately. If you give him a call he will get back to to. kinda like wrangling a cat some days.

I'd prefer not to name the machine shop due to some of the drama with my build. He's good at what he does but its been a crap show. He has access to a torque plate.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 10:05:30 AM by duck454ss »