Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: 2005 LJ Rubicon Revival  (Read 16198 times)

Offline Grover

• Stocker
Re: 2005 LJ Rubicon Revival
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2020, 10:26:09 AM »
I did a 4.6 as well and never bothered with the throttle body, I read up that the stock TJ throttle Body and manifold are already more than capable of flowing enough air for a stroker. I did however spend money on an upgraded cam shaft. I think you are re-using the stock one?

My 4.6 Runs on 87 Octane perfectly fine and is much nicer to drive on the road then the stock 4.0. Even though its not quick by any means.

Nice Jrama, I'd like to know more about your build. I'm not aiming to get the most power possible so it looks like I'm trying to achieve a similar end goal. Good to hear from someone that hasn't had their stroker build turn into a nightmare ;)

Yeah I'm not going nuts with my build so the tbody won't make a big difference, but I figure it's all part of the "incremental upgrade" process where each upgrade starts to take advantage of the other. I will DIY port my head. Dodge put a 68mm tbody on a 4.7 liter engine so I figure it can't hurt to put one on my 4.6 so long as I upgrade the intake, port the head, eventually upgrade the exhaust etc.

Offline Grover

• Stocker
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2020, 10:38:04 AM »
I went with the BBK (edit.. had BDS... they dont make TB's lol) TB because the 05-06 went to a different IAC set up and makes things finecky.

Russ is a solid dude and is swamped lately. If you give him a call he will get back to to. kinda like wrangling a cat some days.

I'd prefer not to name the machine shop due to some of the drama with my build. He's good at what he does but its been a crap show. He has access to a torque plate.

Russ did get back to me yesterday. He is assembling a parts list for me. The urgency of my build is completely superficial so I'll give the guy a break, I can only imagine he is a busy dude.

The Grand Cherokee 68mm throttle body that I'm using is the same as found in the 2003+ Dodge Durango or Daktoa 4.7 except that it uses the same IAC as the 2005/2006 Jeep 4.0 and therefore should work fine with the TDS adapter on any Jeep with the newer IAC. I only know this because I picked three throttle bodies from pick-n-pull before getting one with the right IAC lol.

Offline duck454ss

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2020, 07:59:39 PM »
would have been a nice tid bit of info earlier in the build. but...... this has been such an adventure i may have known it but forgot it.. so many things have changed i've gotten to the point i want it to burn or i'll just throw money at it till its 100%.

with that being said Just Empty Every Pocket..... after the engine, its axles, then cage, and then and then and then....

Offline duck454ss

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2020, 09:42:10 PM »
Things that make people feel better. 37's and bead locks. (hope the pics worked.... they didnt)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/inj963lthhaswk6/20200722_143001.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gkl90h89v9zpj21/20200722_144345.jpg?dl=0
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 09:44:07 PM by duck454ss »

Offline duck454ss

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2020, 09:58:47 PM »
Yay I got pics to work

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 10:21:54 PM by duck454ss »

Offline duck454ss

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2021, 10:05:14 PM »
well, she lives and i think i'm finally ready to take her out on the trail. need a fun little shake down run. thinking of heading out to ghost and wandering the river bed.

i'll post more pictures once i'm not parked in the garage.

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2021, 09:14:28 AM »
Glad to hear it’s running and driving! Keep us posted.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline duck454ss

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2021, 12:39:18 PM »
Well..... i figured i'd post an update.

Drove it around and used ot to bounce between Calgary and Strathmore a few times. 2 things.

1)she pulls like a champ. i mean i'm rolling 37's and beadlocks and it feels like i'm driving around with 30's on a stock jeep. i merged onto Deer Foot and passed a dumbass in a lexus with no issues at all.

2) she loves to drink. cant say that she is best on fuel.

With all that being said. when I did the first oil change she smelled gassy and i've always suspected that she was running a little rich based on the exhaust smell. This all confirms it. So right now i'm waiting to be able to install a proper A/F gauge to see what that looks like. Also the starter isnt consistent and pretty sure it needs to be replaced. Because its 10.6:1 CR the 15yr old starter wasnt happy and struggled. I'd have to bump the starter till a cylinder wasn't in full compression so it could get a "running" start at rolling the crank. This all added to the gassy oil i think.

so right now i'm waiting on 2 Bosch O2 sensors for an Innovative Tech A/F gauge, and a new starter....... AKA i'm broke and jeep is sitting till i can throw 500 bucks at it. Then i will be taking it to a shop here in the city to run on a dyno and get a proper tune. Who knows... maybe i'll get to wheel next summer.

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2021, 05:32:31 PM »
There’s a couple Facebook pages that deal with stroker 4.0L engines in jeeps and boosted 4.0L engines in jeeps. Both mention that it’s more common now to get plug-in tuners for these newer jeeps and tune them properly. So that’s good news at least. Hopefully with a proper tune you can get it dialed in to run even better.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline rws

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Stump Grinder
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2021, 04:19:32 AM »
Following this :).  Interested in what your A/F analysis comes up with.

Offline duck454ss

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2021, 08:34:30 AM »
There’s a couple Facebook pages that deal with stroker 4.0L engines in jeeps and boosted 4.0L engines in jeeps. Both mention that it’s more common now to get plug-in tuners for these newer jeeps and tune them properly. So that’s good news at least. Hopefully with a proper tune you can get it dialed in to run even better.

The shop with he dyno uses HP tuners and will program it for proper idle, cruising, and WOT. Right now its no worth driving around and risking washing out a cylinder. The facebook groups that i've come across have a ton of information but would require remote tuning since they are mostly in the states.

Offline duck454ss

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2021, 08:35:34 AM »
Following this :).  Interested in what your A/F analysis comes up with.

The cool thing about that A/F gauge is that its meant for a V8 so i can monitor the front and rear cylinders.

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2021, 09:16:17 AM »
HP Tuners seems to be the common one.
YJ=Y’all Jealous