Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Report on Tires and Stuff  (Read 753 times)

Offline Sixty4X4

• CJA Members
  • Baby Wheeler
Report on Tires and Stuff
« on: September 03, 2018, 09:38:29 PM »
Finally bit the bullet and bought some 285/70/17 Maxxis Bighorns. They rubbed on the chassis at full lock but installed a 2" levelling kit and matching Bilstein 5100s and no more rubbing. I must say the road manners are superb now and son and I hit McLean late today, Labour Day, and I was suitably impressed. First task was to pull a pathfinder out of a mudhole he should never have attempted with the tires etc he had. Lucky we came along as the guys were resigned to walking out for help. Then I proceeded through the same hole from the other end and with back end locked got stuck. Got the front locked but still was nip and tuck getting out. I would say the tires were a big help. Also the ride is superb for a total investment of $730 for level, shocks and rear brake line relocates. Any early JK owners should be aware that you have to relocate the rear brake lines down even with a leveling kit. Also the shocks are extended for 1.5" to 3" lift so the rear comes down further. And the diff vent hose needs to be extended by about 3". Rubicon Owners - extend your diffs down as you will be surprised how tight those wires to the diffs get so you will need to reconfigure how the wiring is mounted to the diffs. It is quite easy to reconfigure for more extension and less hassle in the wild. Hope this info is useful. Now to find someone that knows the NSG370 tranny as that needs some refurbishing as it has bearing noise.
2008 JKU Ruby, Jeep steel bumper, 9500 winch, 2016 5.3 Chev LT & 8L90 8 spd auto, 285 Maxxis Bighorns, MC 2.5" and LC Arms.