Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: What to do, sell the ZJ or not  (Read 1405 times)

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
What to do, sell the ZJ or not
« on: September 28, 2018, 10:50:24 AM »
Well I havn't posted on here in along time but I figured you guys would be the best sounding board.   ::)

I have a 1998 ZJ with the rare 5.9L package that I've been using as a 2nd vehicle. My long term goal was to build it into a expedition wheeler(33s, locked axles). To that end I have a pair of rubi axles, half of a Clayton's LA lift kit with 4.5" springs, custom built F/R bumpers and winch. I would need a set of tires and about $2k in parts to complete it.

Problem is with the trail closures and the family now being into dirt bikes and side by sides I don't have any incentive to build it and with gas prices the way they are it really needs to be replaced with something way more fuel efficient.

So I'm trying to decide if I should just sell  everything or maybe just sell the lift stuff and store the Jeep for now. I've had a few vehicles in past that I sold and really regret it now. The 5 niner could be a cool resto project one day.......

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
Re: What to do, sell the ZJ or not
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 10:58:50 AM »
Sell it to Robin. He can't say no to a vehicle that he will lose money on.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline fug

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Airdrie Pick n Pull
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 11:04:01 AM »
I have 2 Niners... and yes they are rare... and I like mine... but I can tell you that they are probably never going to be worth much.  I've tried to sell my Slate Grey daily driver (great shape, mostly stock with a BB and 31's) a couple of times now and haven't been able to get what i consider a decent offer for it.   

I've sunk so much money into the white one I wheel... if I ever do get rid of it... I'd have to part it out.  No way is someone giving me the 5K plus I'd want for it. 

Fug
TJ Rubicon

Offline fug

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Airdrie Pick n Pull
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 11:04:35 AM »
Damn you Todd ... you are right

Sell it to Robin. He can't say no to a vehicle that he will lose money on.
Fug
TJ Rubicon

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 11:18:00 AM »
Damn you Todd ... you are right

Like a busted clock. Twice a day.

I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 11:27:36 AM »
Yeah I figured I wouldn't get much. I think its worth $4-$5K as it sits with out the lift/axles as I put a rebuilt motor into it with some performance stuff(Hughes cam, intake, injectors...). But the body isn't perfect so I know it would be a tough sell.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline fug

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Airdrie Pick n Pull
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 12:06:22 PM »
Yeah I figured I wouldn't get much. I think its worth $4-$5K as it sits with out the lift/axles as I put a rebuilt motor into it with some performance stuff(Hughes cam, intake, injectors...). But the body isn't perfect so I know it would be a tough sell.

So you sell it to me at a loss... then I keep it in the garage for a few years and sell it again at a loss as well.

Somewhere someone is building an awesome jeep for cheap off the stuff I sell at a loss
Fug
TJ Rubicon

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 03:52:02 PM »
Somewhere someone is building an awesome jeep for cheap off the stuff I sell at a loss

The smart money is that the ohmo in question lives in Langdon.

Offline firebane

• Stocker
  • Fun Wagon
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 10:02:45 PM »
XJs and ZJs are really about a following.

I have a 98 5.2 and through a bunch of different people on Kijiji and such have met some interesting people.

One guy I met had 2 5.9s and was tearing one down for parts.

The 5.9 are definitely worth more but to only those who know what they are and that is few and far between. I looked for a 5.9 in good shape for a fair price but everyone wanted at least a minimum of 3k for a worn out one.