Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Any recommendations?  (Read 506 times)

Offline HikingViking

• Winch Wench
Any recommendations?
« on: August 14, 2020, 06:36:13 PM »
So I’m trying to decide on what to do with my jk... as some of you know I’m running stock height with ever so slightly bigger tires than stock on 18s. I’m looking to downsize to 17s but I’m having a really hard time deciding on tire size and lift to accommodate. My original plan from the start was to go with a 2.5 inch lift and 33s to get a decent amount of travel. I was recently told that 2.5 might be a bit much and the tires will look a little small. So I was thinking of 35s but I’m running a Dana 30 in the front so I don’t want any issues. As well it’s my daily driver and don’t want to cause unnecessary wear and tear until it’s no longer my DD. I’m not planning on making it a tow to trail vehicle just want to make it a more capable vehicle off road. Any suggestions? I know last trail ride I was on I was told I need bigger beefier tires and I agree (skid plates as well). I feel like a kid in a candy store with all the options hahaha (sorry for the novel)
Kalvin

White 2015 JKU on stock 18s with cooper discoverer at3, smittybilt xrc front bumper

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
Re: Any recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 07:19:50 PM »
So when it comes to JK’s the General rule is a 2.5” lift will happily clear 35” (315/70R17) tires on a lower backspace rim.
A 285/70R17 (33x11.50R17) fits with no lift with a low backspace rim. And 285/75R17 (34x11.50R17) is a good half way point that needs only a 1.5”-2” lift to fit. I like the last option because it gives you the bigger tire but not so big it stresses your steering, suspension, drivetrain and brakes. Also, any lift higher than 2.5” needs exhaust mods to clear the front driveshaft. And your driveshafts won’t like the steeper angles either.
A basic lift with good shock absorbers and adjustable track bars will make you like your jeep a lot more than you already do.
Plenty of tire options to choose from. But if it’s a daily driver find a good all terrain winter rated tire.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline Sixty4X4

• CJA Members
  • Baby Wheeler
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 04:13:46 PM »
Barry here Calvin - guy in front of you in Ruby on weekend run 18July.

My Ruby has 2.5" Metalcloak system on 33" tires and it does not look disproportionate IMO. Good 6" clearance front fender to tire. Its a 4 x 4! Eric has some good points to ponder. And yes my next tires are 35". You should be ok with 35's on the front Dana so long as you use low range offroad  ::)  and you go easy.
Funny thing is on youtube one can see often these guys will get to an obstacle and simply spin spin spin until something breaks. Just avoid that and you will be good.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 04:24:16 PM by Sixty4X4 »
2008 JKU Ruby, Jeep steel bumper, 9500 winch, 2016 5.3 Chev LT & 8L90 8 spd auto, 285 Maxxis Bighorns, MC 2.5" and LC Arms.

Offline HikingViking

• Winch Wench
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 10:21:53 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys. It’s tough coming to a decision on this stuff. I want a capable off road rig that I can still use in the city. I’m contemplating rubicon express with fox shocks and a rough country track bar.
Kalvin

White 2015 JKU on stock 18s with cooper discoverer at3, smittybilt xrc front bumper

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 04:56:27 PM »
Rubicon Express is barely par for the course. And rough country is even worse. Fox shocks are nice though!
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline HikingViking

• Winch Wench
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 01:05:08 PM »
Fair enough hahaha I saw some good reviews about the rough country track bar though. I don’t know hahaha still looking around. Gotta wait until something breaks before I upgrade says the wife.
Kalvin

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 01:26:41 PM »
I’ve seen a RC track bar with worn out bushings after one day of wheeling:/
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline HikingViking

• Winch Wench
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 02:59:11 PM »
Well never mind then hahaha guess I’ll be doing some more research.
Kalvin