Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Six Pin OBD 1 port, Anyone have a scanner? Weird Scenario...  (Read 652 times)

Offline sn4cktime

• UberWheeler
Six Pin OBD 1 port, Anyone have a scanner? Weird Scenario...
« on: March 27, 2021, 07:12:13 PM »
Heya, I've been gone from here for a LONG time. I'm back with a "sort of" Jeep issue. And wondering if there's anyone here who might be able to lend a hand before I get a dealership involved.

I've got an '88 AMC Eagle with a Mopar Multi-Point Fuel Ignition kit on it to convert a CJ or YJ into a more efficient and more powerful engine. It's required a good amount of customizing to get it to work on an Eagle, but I did have it running for a while. But now I've got a no start scenario and no good way to see what the problem is. The ECU is preventing spark for some reason (that or the coil or even the ECU is actually dead, coil bench-tests ok though).

Here's my dead "Jeep"

The MPFI kit is essentially a '91 XJ set of gear: crank position sensor (off the front pulley though), cam position sensor through the distributor, MAP sensor, O2 sensor, speedo pickup, and throttle position sensor. I've read that the crank PS failing can lead to a no start, but I've tried two new sensors there, I've also tried a new throttle PS. Everything I've read has said that it should still start if the MAP, O2, or cam sensors are wonky, just run like crap. Reading codes via the check engine light won't work as it's not wired into the new harness yet. Neutral safety switch is bypassed already.

I have aspirations to drive this car more than 2 days at a time before it dies, which is why I ripped all the vacuum and carb stuff out in the first place. And sadly I can't even really go back to a carb without some parts buying and quite a lot of work. And had I known about the Holley Dominator system at the time... I would've gone that way.

TLDR: So instead of just going to town with the credit card parts cannon, or dealership I thought I'd ask if anybody has an OBD1 scanner with a 6 pin connector that I can borrow. I'm hoping it's something stupid, but I'm at about my diagnostic limit. Used to be a full fledged member in good standing, can leave a license or some cash or maybe a kidney as return insurance. My port looks like the pic:
----1988 AMC Eagle, mostly a flat XJ at this point----

Offline fedropor

• Baby Wheeler
Re: Six Pin OBD 1 port, Anyone have a scanner? Weird Scenario...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 10:39:28 AM »
Can't you just hook up a bulb to the check engine wires? I tried to make an OBD1 harness to a USB adapter but that never worked. Almost everyone has trashed their OBD1 scanners, even the dealers.
98 TJ
05 LJ

Offline hamrtime

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 09:37:25 PM »
I installed the "mopar" MPI kit on my YJ around year 2000 ,  its based on '94 YJ 4L parts,  the kit was designed by Hesco engine ( Hurley Engine ) who worked on the original 4L MPI , if you hooked up the MIL light you can toggle the key 3 times and it will display the code by blinking the light - so a 34 code is 3 evenly spaced blinks - a longer pause - and 4 evenly spaced blinks

there is also a code for no codes I believe ... usually I have to run the extract codes process a couple of times to be sure I read the blinks and pauses correctly,  the actual codes themselves and their meaning are on the internet and possibly in the link I provide below - havent had to do it in awhile

if you didnt hook up the MIL light there are instructions available online that came with the kit, the ECU provides ground to the light to complete circuit so it blinks

you can download the process here,  you can contact Bennie at Hesco who helped me at least twice in last 20 years with questions 

hope that helps

download
http://www.hesco.us/img.asp?id=6773
'89 yj - bought new - almost got my moneys worth
'97 xj - family cruiser now

Offline sn4cktime

• UberWheeler
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 10:05:42 AM »
Thanks, that is a big help. I never even thought to just run a separate bulb to read the codes from. This would go a long way to figuring out what the issue is. I'm just so tired of having a rad car that I essentially can never drive or even sort of rely on.

Offline sn4cktime

• UberWheeler
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 10:07:42 AM »
I never did think of just installing an under-hood bulb. Good idea. Thanks! I just REALLY want to drive this car again. Kinda missed the winter AGAIN which was the entire point of this car specifically...

Offline hamrtime

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2021, 01:03:14 PM »
your Jeep looks to be in great shape - havent seen eagle in long time, had to google to see if holding their value and yah in US they are right up there well into 5 digits U$ for clean units, nice!

you probably found it already as I just checked , hesco has the mopar kits instructions,  wire color in harness your looking for - mine was even labeled MIL or similar - probably tucked in wire loom, dont see mopar parts lists (std vs auto) on their site ,  they have different ECU's , if you need message me can get you copy of my std trans sheet,  general rule is 94 YJ 4L for replacements at parts store.

let us know how you make out
'89 yj - bought new - almost got my moneys worth
'97 xj - family cruiser now