Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Diff Oil  (Read 545 times)

Offline The Sting Grey Jeep

• Winch Wench
Diff Oil
« on: May 07, 2021, 05:22:42 PM »
Hey guys,

What differential gear oil are you guys using on your Jeep? I have been told to use 75w-90 in the front diff and 75w-140 in the rear diff. Is that true? I don't tow with my Jeep, can I get away with using 75w-90 in both front and rear?

Thanks in advance. 
11 JKU Sahara Stocker -> 19 JLU Rubi. 3.5" lift, 37s.

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
Re: Diff Oil
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 05:29:36 PM »
Check on Amsoil or Redline’s website.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline rws

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Stump Grinder
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 07:47:34 AM »
Hey guys,

What differential gear oil are you guys using on your Jeep? I have been told to use 75w-90 in the front diff and 75w-140 in the rear diff. Is that true? I don't tow with my Jeep, can I get away with using 75w-90 in both front and rear?

Thanks in advance.

Use the specification recommended in your manual,  if you have put different lockers or gears  use their rmanufacture's recommendation.  If you off-road a lot and change your gear oil every year or so use the cheaper  Canadian Tire brand.  If your jeep is a mall-crawling highway machine use the up-scale Amsoil stuff which is good for a long time  between changes.  All oil, including gear oil, must meet certain minimum requirements, after that your paying for the add-pack. Lots of info out there.

Offline The Sting Grey Jeep

• Winch Wench
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 01:50:27 PM »

Use the specification recommended in your manual,  if you have put different lockers or gears  use their rmanufacture's recommendation.  If you off-road a lot and change your gear oil every year or so use the cheaper  Canadian Tire brand.  If your jeep is a mall-crawling highway machine use the up-scale Amsoil stuff which is good for a long time  between changes.  All oil, including gear oil, must meet certain minimum requirements, after that your paying for the add-pack. Lots of info out there.

Check on Amsoil or Redline’s website.

Thanks guys. I bought 3 quarts of 75W-90 Royle Purple gear oil. I found a lot jeepers online have good experience with this brand.  I purchased a set of front and rear diff covers from Motobilt. Just waiting for the parts to show up and install them with the fresh oil.
11 JKU Sahara Stocker -> 19 JLU Rubi. 3.5" lift, 37s.