Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Indian Graves / Dutch Creek  (Read 614 times)

Offline YJGUY

• Budget Lift
Indian Graves / Dutch Creek
« on: June 23, 2021, 11:07:15 AM »
I think I may go down to Indian Graves / Dutch Creek area on Saturday. Is there anything that you'd recommend checking out while down there? Not really going to off road per se, just to explore. Depending on timing I might check out that trail that heads across to the BC border from Dutch Creek. Not sure how difficult that trail is.

Thanks
2020 JLU Rubicon - 2" Mopar Lift, Smittybilt front bumper, Smittybilt 10k winch, RokBlokz mud flaps,  Unimog Portals, 6x6 Conversion 5:38 gears, Demon 6.4 Swap, 44" Boggers, ARB Traction Boards

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
Re: Indian Graves / Dutch Creek
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 01:40:35 PM »
Dutch creek is pretty tame on its own. If you head towards north fork there are a couple technical spots. After north fork there’s a lot of trails that go every direction. Easy to get lost, also easy to run out of fuel (ask me how I know🙄).
Exploring the area will keep you busy for a weekend. Make sure you get the maps for the area too. Avenza has a couple.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline YJGUY

• Budget Lift
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 05:01:34 PM »
Lol, ya I was going to fill up in Nanton to avoid gas issues.  I use Gaia GPS which gives me access to all the Back Roads map books overlays. Pretty handy for finding your way. Hopefully they add the .pdf import functionality like Avenza has. I’ll download the PLUZ maps for the area in case I need to use Avenza.
2020 JLU Rubicon - 2" Mopar Lift, Smittybilt front bumper, Smittybilt 10k winch, RokBlokz mud flaps,  Unimog Portals, 6x6 Conversion 5:38 gears, Demon 6.4 Swap, 44" Boggers, ARB Traction Boards

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 05:11:20 PM »
It’s a nice area. Even just sticking to the main road gives you great scenery.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline YJGUY

• Budget Lift
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 01:06:32 PM »
Well it turned into an interesting day. Glad I topped up with gas in Nanton before heading into the wilderness.

We went through Indian Graves, stopped at Chain Lakes park then down to Dutch Creek. https://tinyurl.com/y8jysxa3 Nice drive through Indian Graves, good view once you hit the top of the pass on your way to the 40. Dutch Creek was ok. We didn't go too far in as it said the road to North Fork is closed until July 1st.

We went back north on the 40 to Old Man River road (Oldman River North Provincial Recreation Area) and went West. On my Back Roads Map GPS track it showed this went all along the river heading NW and spit you back out on the 40 at Raspberry Ridge Trailhead. Google maps shows a break in the trail but on GPS is shows as one continuous road. (https://tinyurl.com/wcx5a8cu) I can't connect the roads on Google maps but if you zoom in you can see the break and then it runs up to Raspberry Ridge.  Really nice area, lots of great camping spots and some weird makeshift hippy commune along the way. I was fresh out of acid so I didn't stop in.  ;) 

We came across some big washouts but there was a way though so we kept going. Ran into some guys on a SXS and they said we'd have no problem getting through the remainder of the washouts so on we went. The road then got really nice, just a normal gravel road so we trucked on, excited to get out of there as we had the top down and were baking in the sun all day. We had been on this road for 2.5 hours or so stopping here and there, going on little side trails etc. Finally get to Raspberry Ridge trail head right at the 40 and there is a friggen locked gate! There was no way around this gate. Swampy area on one side with no trees to winch through and a deep culvert that would have flipped the Jeep on the other side. We back tracked and looked for a way across the river but it was swampy on the other side so I didn't want to risk it. So annoying. There were no 'no trespassing" signs along the way so I have no idea why the road was blocked off from that end. At one point there is a gate you go through but it was wide open, no locks or any private property signs. All that to say we made it back to High River with just enough gas and didn't get home until after 11 at night. Good times.

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 01:32:10 PM »
Sounds like a fun day of exploring. Extra fuel and make sure the AC is working good! There’s various reasons why the gate was locked. Anything from the trail being closed to it being a private road for oil/gas/coal/mining.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline Adam82

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2021, 12:07:32 PM »
I've always wondered about that gate. Is it always locked? Doesn't make a huge amount of sense if you can just drive around the long way and be on the other side of the gate anyways. Deterrent I suppose?

Same with the BC side of Racehorse (even though there's a path in the trees around the gate with some signs saying you will get fined if you use it). If you drive in from Hwy 3 on the BC side by the gun range just when you cross into BC you will be on one side of the gate, but if you take the Racehorse Pass from Alberta you will end up on the other side of the gate. No signs saying no trespassing. Plus there's a rocky trail nearby that takes you up and around to Racehorse from the north as well.

Offline YJGUY

• Budget Lift
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2021, 10:55:27 AM »
No idea. There wasn't even a sign posted with a number to call. Oh well, live and learn.