Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Shock choice  (Read 400 times)

Offline Zooguy

• Baby Wheeler
  • 83 CJ7- AMC 360
Shock choice
« on: March 13, 2022, 12:07:57 PM »
So I just found a broken rear shock. The piston shaft broke away from the mount on the top. Any suggestions on ones to replace it? Right now the broken one is a rugged ridge ORV with a 18 stamped on it. It is about 23 inches long with a 13 inch body. The Jeep is a 1983 CJ7 with a body lift but I don’t think any suspension lift. It has 35s on it. It is mainly a pavement queen so no off roading. Less bumpy the ride the better. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
Re: Shock choice
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2022, 02:17:22 PM »
Not sure if you’ll have a lot of options but the Bilstein 5100’s are a pretty good shock with decent ride quality. Not much you can do for old leaf springs really but even the Rancho 5000’s aren’t that bad. You’ll need to know if you do have a lift to get the proper shock, or just go by the length of current shocks and compare to others.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline rws

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Stump Grinder
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2022, 07:55:06 AM »
Not sure if you’ll have a lot of options but the Bilstein 5100’s are a pretty good shock with decent ride quality. Not much you can do for old leaf springs really but even the Rancho 5000’s aren’t that bad. You’ll need to know if you do have a lift to get the proper shock, or just go by the length of current shocks and compare to others.
  All of the above.  You could also go with Fox and they are rebuildable or "tunable" if you want to go totally anal.

Offline Zooguy

• Baby Wheeler
  • 83 CJ7- AMC 360
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2022, 08:39:17 AM »
Perfect thanks. I think I will try the Bilsteins.