Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Club Needed for AEP Project... Ghost/Margaret Lake  (Read 895 times)

Offline MattMan

• Administrator
  • That CB Yapper
  • old age & treachery wins over youth & vigour
Re: Club Needed for AEP Project... Ghost/Margaret Lake
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2022, 05:50:28 AM »
Thanks Gents  8)
MattMan

'21 JL Rubi, 3.6l 8spd, Warn VR10, 2.5" lift, Tazered w/35’s

Offline The Machinist

• CJA Members
  • That CB Yapper
  • I’m with stupid!
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2022, 08:04:18 PM »
Any updates on this?  Meeting time, what to bring, game plan, etc.?  Also, do we need more boots on the ground?  How much work is being planned?
I just can’t resist a good mud hole!  🤦

Offline MattMan

• Administrator
  • That CB Yapper
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2022, 07:33:44 PM »
Sorry, took a while to get things nailed down... This is what I got last night from Lloyd at T4T:

Hi Everyone,

I will put out a comprehensive list of what is planned to be done, likely tomorrow. For now, here are the logistics of getting there and the end of the day.

It looks like we have 10 vehicles for this task assuming the CJA, RMLCA and T4T members all show. We may have some extra individual volunteers as well. More people means faster and less work for all, so if you know more people that are interested, please let me know.

The plan as it stands is to meet in the parking lot of Ricky’s in Crowfoot at 8am. The RMLCA guys like to grab a hearty breakfast before we go, so we meet at 7am with the plan to depart at 8am. We will then head out to the trail. I like that plan so I am inviting anyone who wants to join us. The plan is for anyone else to meet us at trail marker 120, which is the information sign on the road to Margaret Lake off the main road past the airstrip. 

I know some people will have their radios. I do not have my license yet, so I will have my FRS radio as well as 3 spares to distribute. If RMLCA or CJA regularly run a specific frequency, please let me know and we will communicate it out to everyone so we are all on the same channels.

There are currently two major risks, beyond the obvious of working on a trail with hand tools, wild animals, bikes, side by sides and trucks present.

1) Forest fires. They seem to be springing up everywhere, develop and spread fast. Everyone is encouraged to keep a wary eye for fires. Communicate quickly to the group so everyone can get out. The cooler weather may help, but it is still dry in the backcountry.
2) Rain. As counterintuitive as it seems, the current weather report calls for some light rain Thursday and Friday. If it is a downpour, or is raining Saturday, we will re-evaluate whether this is the day for us. Wheeling may be fun, but when we have a place to be and work to do, I’d rather not increase the risks as that’s when we break stuff and get into trouble.

I look forward to seeing everyone out there. I was hoping to have my act together for door prizes and stuff, but you will have to put up with whatever hotdogs and hamburgers I happen to cobble together for the weekend. I am planning on camping at the end of the trail by Margaret Lake on Saturday. If we have stuff to do after Saturday, maybe we will try it on Sunday on the drive out. I am hopeful we will get everything we need to do done on Saturday.

As a reminder, if you have high visibility clothing, please wear it and bring spares if you can. We will be putting signs on the trail to warn people and placing vehicles in sight lines but being visible is never a bad plan, particularly in the back country and aren’t hunting. If you have safety glasses, we recommend them as dirt will be flying, particularly if we are using axes or picks. We will use a buddy system at minimum so no-one wheels alone.

I look forward to meeting the people I haven’t met yet, and wheeling and working with the rest of you! Thanks for helping out.

Lloyd Kortbeek
MattMan

Offline fedropor

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2022, 02:30:04 PM »
Slight problem...
Google says "Ricky's All Day Grill - Crowfoot is permanently closed."
It's now "Pho 99" lol

I let Lloyd know.
It's probably gonna be at Denny's instead.
138 Crowfoot Way NW, Calgary, AB T3G 4M4
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 02:46:35 PM by fedropor »
98 TJ
05 LJ

Offline MattMan

• Administrator
  • That CB Yapper
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2022, 05:38:10 PM »
Apparently he didn’t nail everything down  :o ;D
MattMan

Offline MattMan

• Administrator
  • That CB Yapper
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2022, 03:51:01 PM »
Okay, here are all the latest, last minute details for tomorrow morning:

Here are the details you’ve been waiting for.

When - This Saturday. 10 September 2022 9:30am to 5pm
Where - We will be working along the Margaret Lake trail. The scope of work is in the attached pdf. I recommend using the AVENZA app (https://www.avenza.com/avenza-maps/) and downloading the map from the Alberta government from here: https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/456a507b-66e0-4e9f-b1fa-4132ccd3597c/resource/cfa6bbdd-e638-4c55-a0b9-7663f7ab3ce8/download/aep-ghost-pluz-georeferenced-map-2022.pdf

Where to meet: There are three meeting times to suit your desires:
1) 7am, Denny’s in Crowfoot (138 Crowfoot Way NW, Calgary, AB T3G 4M4) if you want breakfast ~ to my LC friends - sorry, I'm told the Ricky’s is now a chinese food place.
2) 8am, Denny’s in Crowfoot parking lot
3) 9:30am, Marker 120 in Waiparous - GPS 51.403064ºN, 115.026815ºW

We will work until we are done, or roughly 5pm. Then we will go to the end of the trail by the lake (near marker 140) and camp in that area. We will serve up hotdogs, etc then. We ask people heading out, travel in groups of 2 or more. Overnight campers need a permit (https://www.alberta.ca/public-lands-camping-pass.aspx)

What to bring:
1) A positive attitude. We have some people volunteering who are new to the Alberta wheeling community. We are interacting with the general public while representing the truck wheeling community. There is also a good chance AEP (Alberta Regulator) will also show up. Being positive is always a good thing.
2) Hi visibility clothing (and spares if you have it). We will be stationary on trails where others are transiting through. Be a pylon. Be seen, Don’t get hit.
3) Bug spray, Sun spray, bear spray (if you have it). Weather is always funky and we are looking at some warm temperatures (at least 5 minutes ago). Animals are on the move in the backcountry. You will not be (relatively speaking), increasing the chance of encounters with animals. Always be alert.
4) Picks, shovels, generally stuff to move dirt. A few Rubbermaid bins wont hurt as we need to collect and place local rocks in the areas we are working.
5) Lunch, water and non-alcoholic drinks for along the trail. If you want to drink alcohol, wait until we are done and then don’t drive home. T4T will be bringing hotdogs, hamburgers, coleslaw and potato salad and some assorted soft drinks for the end of the day at Margaret Lake.
6) A range of clothing options for both cold, cool, warm and hot weather. We live in Alberta, it's September.
7) Recovery gear, if you have it. I doubt we will need it, but straps and ropes are always handy.
8) If you have a radio (GMRS/FRS/CB), please bring it. More ways to communicate are better. I will have my FRS radio and 3 spares. There are people with real radios and the license to use them and they will be on the CJAMAIN channel 1 (462.550).

Some Rules:
What’s a good project without some ground rules.
1) People working on the project need to sign in and provide an emergency contact. We do this so we know who to call in case something goes wrong and who is missing at the end of the day. We also do it to track the hours we provide for the work we do (to prove to the gov’t how important the truck members are, amongst other reasons).
2) We will be working in groups. We are in a remote area doing work. Nobody works alone. It makes for lighter work, and more fun.
3) If something goes wrong, we will recall everyone to one location. We do this so we only have to manage the emergency, not a bunch of groups on top of an emergency.
4) Drive carefully and consider traffic at all times. We will be working in areas where others are transiting through. We will have signs and we have tried to warn various user groups, but people do dumb things.
5) Be aware of your surroundings. Whether it is a change in the weather, unstable ground, wildlife or a forest fire. Remain aware of what is going on around you.
6) Stay on the trail. We are trying to show AEP and the general public how responsible we are. Going off trail is the opposite of what we want to show people.
7) We would like to post one vehicle with good sight lines to oncoming traffic on either side of the work area. That way, if they are going to hit you, at least you will know it was on purpose.

We will do a more comprehensive risk assessment that morning at the trail head and break into groups from there. If there is a problem, you can’t make it or something goes wrong, text my number with your name and issue to let me know (403)689-9960 so we can either send help or not be waiting for someone who isn’t showing up.

Please think about what we are going to do, take a moment to think about what can go wrong and how to avoid it, and then have fun and get to work. Remember, we are playing in puddles and digging up roads!

See everyone Saturday morning.

Lloyd Kortbeek
Project Manager, Trails 4 Tomorrow
ph: (403)689-9960

MattMan