Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Quiet garage compressor???  (Read 2983 times)

4Play

Quiet garage compressor???
« on: August 08, 2006, 09:01:01 PM »
Kinda off topic but very important to me!!!   :lol:   I am building a townhouse with an attached garage.  I NEED to play in this garage.  It is all the gf a I can afford with these house prices these days.  I inquired tonight about upgrading the drywall, insulation or some kind of sound dampener to help with the noise travelling.  BUT, I still could (need) some kinda compressor.  Does anyone know where to start looking for a very quiet one.  Pref. 110V.  Nothing huge but big enough  :wink:   Or has anyone built an insulated box around it and vented it outside or something???

Offline BUKI

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Project Fugly
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 09:07:32 PM »
Is there really such a thing as a quiet compressor?????????????
 :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?

4Play

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 09:20:03 PM »
Is there really such a thing as a quiet compressor?????????????

If there is, I'm gonna find it  :lol:  :lol:

Offline Rig-Pig

• Budget Lift
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 09:22:24 PM »
whatever u do, dont put a box over it to stiffle the sound..  lets just say, the belt burnt up, the pressure valve gave up, now its louder than ever!!
build 'em, break 'em,
love 'em, leave 'em
same thing

Offline BUKI

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Project Fugly
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 09:23:44 PM »
Now that sucks!!!

SteveO

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 09:37:03 PM »
Make sure you get one that uses oil compared to the ones that don't.  They require a bit more maintenance but will last longer, perform better and, most importantly, they're waaaayyy quieter. ....Steve

Offline cablesmurf

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Relapsed Jeep Addict
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 10:05:44 PM »
Yup, I have a 25 gallon Campbell Hausfeld that uses a seperate 5 HP belt driven motor and a cast iron pump (you need to oil it). It is even quieter than my little Porter cable pancake compressor. Also, use the sound deadening isulation from home Depot. I used it in my home theatre and it make a HUGE difference. Home depot has a display that is a small room with a ghetto blaster playing really loud. You can barely hear it with the dood closed.

Hi, my name is Dan and I'm a Jeepaholic

Offline cablesmurf

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Relapsed Jeep Addict
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 10:14:48 PM »
hmmm...you can actually se it in the background here... :P

Hi, my name is Dan and I'm a Jeepaholic

4Play

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 10:20:15 PM »
That looks like a good little setup...  Up on the shelf and outta the way.  Can you hear it in the house when its runnin'?  Cool tracker.  I grew up wheelin in those things...  and suzuki's!!! (with my dad)

Abrasive

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 01:19:21 AM »
Co-Op and House of Tools sells a little 6.5 gallon Iron Horse (made by Eagle Compressors). It's a little louder than most cast-iron head units I've heard, but it seems to work pretty well.

And you absolutely can not beat the price. I bought mine on sale at the Co-Op for $150. Not bad for a compact compressor that puts out 5.4cfm @ 90psi.

$0.02

Kris

Dragonmaster

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 05:10:32 PM »
If you do build an insulated box leave about a 1' either side and use a dedicated fan blowing in with an exhaust to the outside.  On the vent going in use an insulated piece of ducting run from top to bottom and the vent out the top to the outside.