Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: 4x4 working or not?????  (Read 2178 times)

Rochambo

4x4 working or not?????
« on: June 26, 2005, 04:49:51 PM »
I have a 89 yj and im just not to sure if my 4x4 is working, i have been out on the trails but am just a little unsure. When i have got stuck the only tire that ends up spinning is one of the back ones. Is there a whay to check? How does it ingage? Airline? or what, any imput would be great

Cheers

Offline Milan

• CJA Members
  • UberWheeler
4x4 working or not?????
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 07:26:32 PM »
Maybe your vacuum disconnect stays disconnected. At least 1 front tire should turn if you have all the driveshafts and axleshafts.
Keep on Jeepin'

RedYJ

4x4 working or not?????
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 07:28:38 PM »
Does the Vaccume not defalt to locked hubs?  I could be wrong though.

pugnarlow

4x4 working or not?????
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 02:08:54 AM »
There are four vacuum lines that come out of the t-case, three go to the actuator on the front axle and one goes to a switch on the firewall. I had to put my YJ on 4 axle stands to test the 4wd when I suspected it stopped working.

Wif

4x4 working or not?????
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 03:22:17 PM »
sounds like it ain't working .. check the vacuum lines for breaks or cracks
vacuum actuator defaults to off

Becker

4x4 working or not?????
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 09:10:07 AM »
I have a similar problem, the shift motor slides the collar over to engage the front end, but when i put the foot into it it seems to disengage.  I have replaced the shift motor, and thought i was pretty thorough on the vacuum lines, but will be tearing them out once again to test for leaks.  

Somewhere in there is a vacuum leak, just gotta take the time to find out where it is.

Rochambo

4x4 working or not?????
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2005, 06:46:00 PM »
Thanks, I went through all the line and sure enough one was out, pushed her in and then presto she worked