Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: YJ Driveshaft and SYE  (Read 1527 times)

evasion1

YJ Driveshaft and SYE
« on: August 10, 2006, 01:57:46 PM »
Once I find the spings I need I will need a longer driveshaft I am assuming.  I now have a SOA with flat springs.  Can I just just get my driveshaft extended at standens or do I have to get a cv syle drive shaft?  Do I HAVE to get a SYE?  Does anyone know where I can get a cheap driveshaft a SYE?

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
YJ Driveshaft and SYE
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 03:38:13 PM »
Are you trying to even higher? Why?

No such thing as a cheap CV and SYE. But the cheapest set p will run close to 500.

Top of the line, 1000.

hth
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

evasion1

YJ Driveshaft and SYE
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 04:07:12 PM »
im not triying to go higher my springs are gone so im looking for stock ones that are good

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
YJ Driveshaft and SYE
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 04:54:24 PM »
You have a SYE on a stock setup  :? ?  There should be enough slip in the driveshaft to account for the 1"or so of lift you will get with newer stock springs
'95 YJ with a few mods

evasion1

YJ Driveshaft and SYE
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 06:11:06 PM »
i have a spring over on my jeep i dont know if it need it but if i do the cheaper the better

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
YJ Driveshaft and SYE
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 11:32:30 PM »
Running a flat spring on a SOA will give you pretty good travel.

Your only way to know if you will need a CV or not is to jackstand the high enough that the rear axle can completely droop. Easiest with the tires off of course.

Then rotate the driveshaft, paying attention for bind.

Personally cheaper is not better when it comes to CV. If you can get away without one, until you can afford a quality set up you would be better off.

That way you do it once.

If you do a cheese SYE andshaft, then beef up your travel, you end up re doing it all over again. Spending twice as much then if you jsut went quality the first time around.

Hack and tap (rubicon express) is the cheapest. And leaves you with the shortest driveshaft and most angle. Also uses the stock output shaft, which is significantly weaker then the after markets.

Advance Standard SYE. 32 spline replacement output shaft, maintains stock driveshaft length.

JB Conversions Super Short SYE. 32 spline shaft, 4-5 inches shorter then stock, or Advances Standard. Most expensive, but allows the most lift, angle, and travel of the three main options out there.

hth
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]