Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Oil Pressure  (Read 1895 times)

Offline blaker

• Baby Wheeler
    • http://www.snojet.com
Oil Pressure
« on: July 02, 2005, 11:55:16 AM »
There's something not right on my 79 CJ7.  Now I've got a 360 AMC, and have just installed an Edelbrock Performer Intake and a new 4 barrel.  What should the oil pressure be (roughly) at idle, and when driving?  I've got the right amount of oil in the truck, the problem is after driving it a bit, the oil pressure seems high, and oil fills up the dipstick, and then drips on to the exhaust manifold making it smoke...  Any ideas whats happening, or what I can look for.  I know she needs a bit of a tune up, but don't like driving it too far if there's a problem with the oil pressure, and the smoke and smell doesn't really help either.

Thanks!

Offline jeepsucks

• Winch Wench
Oil Pressure
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2005, 07:53:12 PM »
Is your PCV working? Oil out the dipstick tube is usually from blow-by.

Good luck.
this jeepsucks up every nickle I make.

HBZ

Oil Pressure
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2005, 04:47:27 PM »
Idle 0il pressure is in the 13 psi. stock pump.

Offline blaker

• Baby Wheeler
    • http://www.snojet.com
Oil Pressure
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 08:05:39 AM »
Thanks for the help so far.  I'll check PCV valve tonight.  As for oil pressure, when I first start up the truck, the pressure is up around 50 or so.  After the truck warms up, the oil pressure at idle seems to drop down to around 13 to 15.  Also after driving for a bit, there's enough pressure that it actually pops off the oil filler cap on the manifold.

Thanks!

Wif

Oil Pressure
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 09:26:03 AM »
Quote from: "blaker"
Thanks for the help so far.  I'll check PCV valve tonight.  As for oil pressure, when I first start up the truck, the pressure is up around 50 or so.  After the truck warms up, the oil pressure at idle seems to drop down to around 13 to 15.  Also after driving for a bit, there's enough pressure that it actually pops off the oil filler cap on the manifold.

Thanks!

You either have piston ring blow-by, or the PCV valve/tubing is blocked/disconnected. If you've changed the manifold have you reconnected the suction side of the PCV tubing correctly ??
Oil pressure will have no bearing (no pun intended) on oil coming out the dipstick/filler .. that has to be crankcase pressure.